PDA

View Full Version : Tara - Tibetan vs. Hindu

heartfully
09 December 2009, 09:24 AM
Namaste! I want to learn more about Tara from the Hindu perspective. I know her via the Tibetan view of her. Not sure if I should trust the websites I'm finding online saying in Hinduism she is now viewed as wrathful and demanding sacrifices. Is this true? This is not the goddess I know and love through the Buddhism.

Peace,
HF

sm78
10 December 2009, 03:25 AM
I believe in vajrayana too tara is having wrathful / ugra forms? In any case Vajrayana like hindu tantra is consists of many wrathful dieties in its higher/highest tantras, which were mostly copied from shaiva and kapalika shastras.

In hindu tara does have peaceful form, but is generally worshipped in wrathful form, because she is more worshipped by followers of kali-kula.

shian
11 December 2009, 07:51 PM
Yes, Ugra Tara is :

Mara Subjugating Tara
Ekajati Tara
Kurukulla Tara
Bhrkuti Tara
Nila Tara
Black Tara
Vajrayogini Tara - Vajravarahi Tara - Chinmatsa Tara - Chinmunda Tara
Simhamukadakini Tara - Vyaghramukha Tara

and the one of peace form of 21 Tara is Mahesvari for rebirth in Akanistha Pureland the Kingdom om Mahesvara and in there also a place of Dharmadhatu Vijayasala (the Kingdom Pureland of Mahavairochana Tathagata)

this is the fact from the Mahayanaa Tripitaka - The Pure Land of Vairochana (Higher Buddha symbol of Dharmadhatu) is in Shivaloka !

let see one of 21 Tara stotram , the stotram of Parippurna Tara

NAMAS TRITATTVA VINYASA
SHIVA SHAKTI SHAMANVITE
GRAHA VETALA YAKSA UGHRA
NASANI PRAVARE TURE

you see what is Tritattva
what is Shiva Shakti

some of the Buddhist said this word Shiva is not Shiva in Hindu but meaning Nirvana, the Power of peacefull
but
in Hindu Shiva name also mean Peaceful

and we see the form of Paripurna Tara :

White radiant body - right hand hold a trident Trishula - left hand is abhaya mudra

she is seat on Magic born cow - wish fullfilling cow

who not know this is form of SHIVA SHAKTI

^_^

but that is only theory, for the practice you must do according your lineage Guru, whatever you choose, Hindu lineage Guru or Buddhist lineage Guru
all is will leade you back to MOTHER UNIVERSE JAGAMATRKA (the one name of Goddess Tara in Manjusri Mulakapla Sutra - Mahayana Sutra)

shian
11 December 2009, 07:53 PM
again

in Sutra of 108 Tara names (Mahayana Buddhist Sutra)

who is one name of Tara ?

this is :

DURGA !