PDA

View Full Version : namastey every one

nature lover
17 December 2009, 01:59 AM
it is a matter of pride for me to associate with the elite feternity of scholars on hinduism.i also take this opportunity to request to explain and differentiate the following CONCEPTUAL INTELLEGENCE AND NON CONCEPTUAL INTELLEGENCE

Eastern Mind
17 December 2009, 11:45 AM
Nature lover:

Vanakkam and welcome to these forums. I hope you get some of what you may be searching for. There will always be several POV's presented, as this religion is vast.

Regarding your question on intelligence, its difficult without starting out with some sort of definitions as to what you are getting at.

There are probably several types of intelligence. My guess your question is 'book knowledge versus experiential knowledge, but I am not sure.

Snow seen in a book by one living in a tropical country is a sort of knowledge. But to really understand snow, one has to walk in it, feel it, know that its cold, etc. This is experiential knowledge.

In religious matters, there are scholars (book knowledge) and mystics, seers, or knowers from a different level. (experiential knowledge) The goal in Hinduism is knowledge of the Self, a unity with God, called by many names. This knowledge cannot be attained via books. It has to be experienced. So the inner stuff is mostly experiential. We can read about chakras and the like, but to see them actually spinning, well tjat's another matter.

I have no idea if this helped with your question at all or not, but it was a good little rant for me anyway.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
17 December 2009, 10:23 PM
Namaste NL,

Welcome to this forum ! :)

explain and differentiate the following CONCEPTUAL INTELLEGENCE AND NON CONCEPTUAL INTELLEGENCE

I agree with EM that you should have explained something what is in your mind while asking this question. However, I shall explain here what I understand from the terminology used :

Conceptual Intelligence :

This is the worldly intelligence which is based on concepts within our mental realm. What exactly is that ? I shall give some examples here :

I know that I am different from others. How ? Because my sense organs, by their subjects e.g. touch, see etc. make me feel that I am different from the world around me. However, this knowledge that "I am different from others" is based on concepts within limitations of my mind. If my mind was designed in such a manner that I could not see, touch, feel etc. ... then this knowledge would have no place at all. As this knowledge is relative & based on certain state of mind so, in reality, it cannot be said that I am actually different from others.

Let's take another example :

You see a rose. You say that it is red in color. Now, your identification of the rose's color with "red" is simply a concept within your mind, as it has been designed. There is another person who has got a mind designed in a slightly different way (a so-called "color blind man") ... he may perceive the same rose as "green". Now we all know that in reality there is no color. It is the perception of our mind in a response to the stimulus created by electromagnetic wave of a certain wavelength. The electromagnetic waves differ only in their wavelengths but produce the effects of various colors. So, our knowledge of
colors is based on our conceptual way of understanding things around us or the intelligence.

I can give you various examples but I think the above should suffice.

Let's note a very important thing here, that : All knowledge acquired within this conceptual intelligence are relative in nature. You can't have any concept anything without taking the help of another concept. If you start questioning each concept which cover other concepts in various layers, you will find that our knowledge cannot be absolute Truth.

Non-Conceptual Intelligence : :

Till we keep seeing things within the domain of conceptual intelligence, we can't see the reality. For seeing the Truth we must break out of the conceptual domain of knowledge.

This Non-conceptual intelligence is the sub-stratum of the conceptual intelligence of all beings. When that shines through our mind, it reflects as conceptual intelligence. This intelligence is what is working behind this universe ... which is the source of us all.

I don't know if I touched on what you wanted or I went completely off the track.

OM