PDA

View Full Version : Seeker's Questions: The World Before Closed Eyes

saidevo
21 August 2006, 11:17 PM
When I close my eyes, initially I see the afterimages of what my eyes were seeing. Then it becomes darker and I see cloudy patterns that form, expand (or contract) and then disappear, one followed by another, much like the waves formed on a still water surface when a stone is dropped.

The 'world' that my closed eyes look at is usually violet in color, and the clouds that form and disappear, are indigo in color. Like the surface and internal colors of the jambu fruit. Or the chemical compound potassium permanganate.

As my mind gets more and more still, I can see real-world shapes--of houses, humans, anything I am familiar with--that quickly form and pass into other shapes. I am physically conscious (and not sleeping) while I watch these images. After sometime, I find that the slightest thought currents disturb the shapes, but I guess that with sufficient practice I might be able to control and create shapes by thought.

Technically, I have simply closed my eyes, so my eyes should be looking at the inner side of my eyelids. I read somewhere that these shapes and images are random reflections of residual light particles inside the eyelids, but I am not prepared to buy this theory, because I see a whole world before my closed eyes, which to some extent I can control.

Since I have not yet started sleeping, I know that these 'waves' are not the alpha or beta waves of REM or deep sleep. Those waves come only after I fall asleep.

What are the shapes and images that I see? Of what stuff they are made? Can this thing be explained in a purely physical and convincing way by Science? If they are spiritual, is the scenary from the astral world?

satay
22 August 2006, 01:37 AM
interesting post...
aren't the images coming from the brain? brian stores the memory and the mind acts on those memories displaying them on the inner screen so to speak depending on the thought that flows through it...

instead of trying to get to the bottom of it...we are to just sit and be a watcher...like sitting at the river bank and watching the waves...we are to watch these thoughts...eventually the mind gets clear.

saidevo
22 August 2006, 03:07 AM
Namaste Satay,

What kind of patterns and images do you get when you lie down closing your eyes before you slip to sleep?

Conscious/subconscious thoughts may be the source of these patterns and animated images, but thoughts do not originate in the physical brain. The brain is only a physical medium of expression of the mental body (manomaya kosha). Every thought originates from the mental body which functions on the mental plane, descends via the astral body/astral world to the physical brain/physical world. Since our mind largely thinks in pictures, our thoughts acquire a thought-form when they pass though the mental and astral worlds.

The idea I wanted to present here is that while we lie down to sleep, in the initial stages we have random thoughts. If the thoughts are too many, we see no patterns or images. As the thoughts are reduced and the mind is stilled, we begin to see the patterns and animated images before our closed eyes.

The amazing part of these patterns is that they look cloudy and sometimes digital, but quickly gather into real world shapes such as houses or plants and trees or faces of people. The 'matter' they seem to be made of is so plastic that it is easily influenced by thoughts.

saidevo
24 August 2006, 09:38 AM
I posted this question to different forums. I shall post extracts from some of the useful feedback my posting generated. I have given only relevant portions of the replies and avoided names, since it may not be proper to use the complete replies without individual permissions.

1. A level of clairvoyance?

After some minutes I closed my eyes I see a deep darkness and from this darkness shapes starts appearing. Most of the time faces in the beginning. Many faces which slowly would get clearer and I would start seeing not only faces, but places etc.

Also with me happens the same the slightest thought would immediately cut what I see. Usually I have such experience before to sleep. You know when you are not feeling so sleepy and you just close your eyes and try relax.

I think this is a level of clairvoyance.
-----

The person who posted the above reply, also quoted the following passage:

...The Brain, taken as an organ of Consciousness, serves as the vehicle on the objective plane of the Lower Manas, which works upon its material molecules in a way hereafter to be explained. Its subdivisions correspond to, and are the organs of, the subdivisions of the Lower Manas, its convolutions are formed by thought, the activity of the thinking Principle building up more and more complicated convolutions.

There are seven cavities in the Brain which during life are empty, in the ordinary sense of the word. In reality, they are filled with Ākāśa, each cavity having its own color, according to the state of Consciousness in which you are. (The colors are only visible, of course, to the purified vision.) These cavities are called in Occultism the “Seven Harmonies,” the scale of the Divine Harmonies, and it is in these that visions must be reflected, if they are to remain in the Brain-memory. These are the parts of the Brain which receive impressions from the Heart, and enable the memory of the Heart to be impressed on the memory of the Brain.

The fourth of these cavities is the Pituitary Body, which corresponds with Manas-AntaskaraŠa, the bridge to the Higher Intelligence; it contains various essences. The fifth cavity is the Third Ventricle, empty during life except for pulsating light, though filled with a liquid after death. The sixth cavity is the Pineal Gland, also hollow and empty during life; the granules are precipitated after death. The Pineal Gland corresponds with Manas until it is touched by the vibrating light of Kundalini, which proceeds from Buddhi, and then it becomes Buddhi-Manas. When Manas is united to Buddhi, or when Buddhi––and therefore Ātman also––is centred in Manas, it acts in the three higher cavities, radiating and sending forth a halo of light, and this sometimes becomes visible in the case of very holy persons. The fires are always playing round the Pineal Gland; but when Kundalini illuminates them for a brief instant, the whole universe is seen. This is what occurs occasionally in deep sleep when the third eye opens. And such opening is good for Manas, who profits by it, even though the Lower Man is not then reached and therefore cannot remember. The seventh cavity is the synthesis of all, the cavity of the skull itself, as filled with Ākāśa (see Diagram V). This corresponds with the Ātmic Aura, the sacred Auric Egg.

Perception, brain perception, is located in the aura of the Pineal Gland, while the Pineal Gland itself, illuminated, corresponds with Divine Thought. The Pituitary Body is the organ per se of the psychic plane. Pure psychic vision* is caused by the molecular motion of this body, which is directly connected with the optic nerve, and thus affects the sight, and gives rise to hallucinations. Its motion may readily cause flashes of light, seen within the head, similar to those that may be obtained on pressing the eyeballs, and so causing molecular motion in the optic nerve. When molecular action is set up in the Pituitary Body these flashes are seen, and further action gives psychic vision, as similar motion in the Pineal Gland gives Spiritual Clairvoyance. Drunkenness and fever cause disorderly motion in the Pituitary Body, and so produce illusions of sight, visions, hallucinations. This body is sometimes so affected by drunkenness that it is paralyzed, and the strict forbiddance of alcoholic liquids to all students of Occultism turns on this effect which alcohol produces on the Pituitary Body and Pineal Gland.

The Pineal Gland is the focus of the spiritual, hence inorganic, sensorium. Its action has nothing to do with the circulation of the Blood, but it is concerned with the spiritual fiery emanation that proceeds from the Blood. Further: the Pineal Gland, at the upper pole of the human body, corresponds with the Uterus (in the female and its analogue in the male) at the lower pole; the peduncles of the Pineal Gland corresponding with the Fallopian Tubes of the Uterus. The Pituitary Body is only the servant of the Pineal Gland, its torch-bearer, like the servants carrying torches that run before the carriage of a princess. Man is androgyne, so far as his head is concerned.

The Corpora Quadrigemina corresponds with Kāma-Manas, bringing Kāma thus within the Mānasic division of the human brain.

Kāma itself has for its correspondence the Cerebellum, which is the centre and storehouse of forces. The Cerebellum furnishes the materials for ideation. The frontal lobes of the Cerebrum are the finishers and polishers of the materials supplied by the Cerebellum, but they cannot create these materials for themselves.

The correspondence of Kāma in the lower part of the Body is the Liver, with the Stomach...

BLAVATSKY: COLLECTED WRITINGS
-----

I can't under this passage fully or link its findings with the teachings of Vedanta. Any guidelines, Sri Sarabhanga?

saidevo
25 May 2007, 10:17 PM
Here are more replies from the other forums where I posted this question. What is your experience and opinion on this subject?

Just patterns seen before sleep?

"The eyes are very tricky sunza bitches. I would imagine the after images are just receptor memory, or maybe actual memory since we actually "see" with our brains, only partially assisted by the eyeballs. Check these out:

"Conquest to the lover and your love to the fire
Pernanence unfolding in the absolute
Forgiveness is the ultimate sacrifice
Eloquence belongs to the conqueror

You and me we'll
All go down in history with a
Sad Statue of Liberty and a
Generation that didn't agree"

— System of a Down, “Sad Statue”, Mesmerize, © 2005 Sony BMG

Chakra activity?

1. When we close our physical eyes we open our spiritual eye, where we see different things based on our thoughs and level of concentration.

Not everyone sees what you are seeing, it differs for each person.

I see red colour cause by base or Mooladhara chakra is active than other chakras, you see Violet and Indigo colours as your crown chakra and Third eye chakra are active for you.

What you see in your spiritual eye depends on your spiritual awareness, sensitivity to spirituality and level of concentration.

2. That will be the violet flame, between 659-769 hz wavelenght, have to do with Ajna and Sahasrara centres. More can be read Chakra's Leadbeater and others. Look Violet flame in www.google.nl and you find more about this appearance.

Day dreaming?

Violet is the highest of the visible color wavelength. The violet flame is said to be the transmuting force that naturally converts harmful effects to pleasant & good ones.

Normally, people are most perceptive to the color green (which is why it is commonly used in night vision goggles). In the color spectrum, green is in the middle: RED ORANGE YELLOW GREEN BLUE INDIGO VIOLET

A lot of occultists have an affinity for violet and indigo. My entire workspace is lit up by indigo lights, and I always lay violet towels in the corner for my cat to sleep on.

The mental state which you refer to, where the images seem to come to you, is a trance-like state called dissociation. It is more commonly referred to as "day-dreaming", but you don't actually go into REM or Delta sleep states. In a controlled state of dissociation, the brain is not functioning as it normally would (certain parts are shut down, others activate). The effects of this state vary to the degree and intensity of the various parts of the brain that are affected. The frontal lobe will often times pick up random messages generated by the chaotic actifity (ectopy), and in a rush try and decypher them. The reason why you have somewhat lucid control over it is that you're still conscious, and active thought will influence the way the random messages are interpreted.

Helps or hinders meditation?

When one closes his eyes, the physical seeing (vision) stops. When open, the eyes see with the help of rods and cones in the retina. When they are stimulated by light reflected by an object, they send the information to the occipital cortex of the brain where it is recognised as images which are stored in another part of the brain and when you see the same object again, you recognise the object. For any reason if these are not stimulated from birth for some period of time, (due to some tumour or swelling of eyelid which closes the eye) the eye later develops ambliopia and will be blind for life. We have to physically open the lid and throw lid into the eye.

When you close the eyes, it can not see the back of the eye lid or any thing else as it is dark. What you see is only whatever you imagine or the impressions of what you have seen in the recent past. It need not be recent past also as the imagination is wild and knows no bounds. It can be any thing.

That is why meditation with closed eyes is extremely difficult and to remain focussed with no thoughts is very very difficult. That is why idol worship is recommended in hinduism. to focus your attention with the help of the eyes, and bhajans with ears, nice aroma from dhoop sticks etc (all connected and equated with anmigam) and there by get into Bhakthi. Some times the 3 D effect with closed eyes helps to remain focussed for some time. (I invite others' opinion on this). If one remains really thoughtless for one minute, it is great.

One can see some spots or lines moving while seeing or reading. Those things are the floaters in the vitrious humor in the posterior chamber of the eyes. These are the shreds of the retinal pigments. They may be seen even with the closed eyes. One will get used to it and ignore these while reading.
The REM and NREM phases are part of sleep.

Seeing Etheric Matter?

It is reported that as humanity evolves, most people also see etheric matter of the physical world with naked eyes in broad daylight. How this matter appears is explained below:

"Lot of people sees them as strands of matter generally transparent, or as streams of purple or grey smoke floating in the air. They generally fall to the ground or move in the direction of the gaze when the eyes are moving. .

"Etheric matter is seen as very dynamic and constantly changing strands and one can see these as separate strands or as clumps of strands like in a brush but constantly changing its position and shape. They may also appear as marbles or as strings of beads. They have a tendency to move downwards because of the gravity or move with your gaze when you fix your gaze on it. ."

Do you see such strands or clumps or marbles of highly dynamic matter that move as you move your eyes? I see them all the time. Initially I thought that something like a strand of hair got stuck to the inside of my eyes, but now I know. And I also know that some of the people around me do see them.

For more details on this subject, please check: http://www.einterface.net/gamini/etheric.html

Sagefrakrobatik
09 August 2008, 11:05 PM
When I close my eyes, initially I see the afterimages of what my eyes were seeing. Then it becomes darker and I see cloudy patterns that form, expand (or contract) and then disappear, one followed by another, much like the waves formed on a still water surface when a stone is dropped.

The 'world' that my closed eyes look at is usually violet in color, and the clouds that form and disappear, are indigo in color. Like the surface and internal colors of the jambu fruit. Or the chemical compound potassium permanganate.

As my mind gets more and more still, I can see real-world shapes--of houses, humans, anything I am familiar with--that quickly form and pass into other shapes. I am physically conscious (and not sleeping) while I watch these images. After sometime, I find that the slightest thought currents disturb the shapes, but I guess that with sufficient practice I might be able to control and create shapes by thought.

Technically, I have simply closed my eyes, so my eyes should be looking at the inner side of my eyelids. I read somewhere that these shapes and images are random reflections of residual light particles inside the eyelids, but I am not prepared to buy this theory, because I see a whole world before my closed eyes, which to some extent I can control.

Since I have not yet started sleeping, I know that these 'waves' are not the alpha or beta waves of REM or deep sleep. Those waves come only after I fall asleep.

What are the shapes and images that I see? Of what stuff they are made? Can this thing be explained in a purely physical and convincing way by Science? If they are spiritual, is the scenary from the astral world?

"There's smoke in my Iris/but i painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids" Aesop Rock Battery