PDA

View Full Version : Demons

Tirisilex
17 December 2009, 01:48 PM
In Christianity they have demon possession and demon oppression.. They perform exorcism and deliverances to deal with the problem.. How do Hindus see and deal with demons?

sanjaya
17 December 2009, 01:56 PM
I don't know that the demons of Hinduism are anything like the one's in Christianity. In our mythology we do have stories about the Rakshasas, which are essentially demons. However, they are flesh and blood rather than spirits. Ravana, for example, was a powerful Rakshasa who ruled the island kingdom of Lanka. He captured Rama's wife, and was eventually defeated by him.

I vaguely remember learning stories when I was younger about demons that were more spiritual in nature, but I'm not really familiar with this topic. I've never heard of Hindus believing in such things as demonic possession, though.

kshama
17 December 2009, 02:17 PM
Namaste Tirisilex Ji,

I fail to fathom what has your questions got to do with dharma. Perhaps you would like to elaborate further? Or perhaps you posted on the wrong section of the forum?

In my humble opinion, humans in this Kali Yuga are much more to be afraid of than the demons. So many adharmic things happen in this world that are left unnoticed. I do think it is substantial to ponder on that.

I am sure, there would be members here that can help you with your questions, good luck.

Eastern Mind
17 December 2009, 04:02 PM
In Christianity they have demon possession and demon oppression.. They perform exorcism and deliverances to deal with the problem.. How do Hindus see and deal with demons?

This is my personal take on the matter: In Hinduism, it is more as Ayurveda is to western medicine. It is a matter of prevention. When we have pure thoughts, are sexually pure within marriage, and celibate before marriage, when we avoid alcohol, when we treat people with kindness, etc. the lower asuric forces, basically have no interest in us. So they stay away. This is why Tiruvalluvar, Patanjali, and others wrote codes of moral conduct to follow. This is one of the dangers of jumping ahead on the path to meditation, kundalini, and the like that westerners are prone to do. Of course, the higher levels of the yogic path call out, and westerners jump to it, because they like excitement, and are not satisfied with a boring moral life well lived.

This is also why we have the menstrual customs, the 31 day affter death, and birth customs, wearing clean clothes, purification rituals etc. It all makes our minds tougher in a way to prevent any negativity from entering within the psychic auric circle. Its all about prevention, as the lower forces are out there, and can subtly influence our decisions, and are harder to get rid of once the gates are open so to speak. Look at Tiger Woods and his adulterous ways right now. He let down his moral guard and look what happened.

This is much closer to how Hindus see it.

I have only heard of possession and the like from Hindus I know from South Africa, where the Hinduism they practise is its own unique blend of Christianity, tribalism, and Hinduism.

But with Christianity, there is this whole good/bad thing going on, as well as the pointing outside to find blame. When someone falls, it is much easier to point a finger at some evil possession rather than take responsibility. This is not to say mental illnesses such as schizophrenia don't exist.

Aum Namasivaya

LALKAR
18 December 2009, 10:34 AM
Namaste All,

Rakshas dose not means Ghost Person
There is nothing like that in Hinduism

I don't know how Ravan was a Demon
Ravan was actually a Brahman, the author of 'krishan smhinta' (incomplete, as he died before completing It)

sanjaya
18 December 2009, 05:59 PM
Namaste All,

Rakshas dose not means Ghost Person
There is nothing like that in Hinduism

I don't know how Ravan was a Demon
Ravan was actually a Brahman, the author of 'krishan smhinta' (incomplete, as he died before completing It)

Ravana was actually a guard in the palace of Vishnu, who was cursed to live on earth by a rishi because he did his duty and prevented the rishi from entering Vishnu's palace. To abate the curse, Vishnu gave him the option of living one hundred lifetimes on earth as a friend of God, or three lifetimes as the enemy of God. To expedite the completion of the curse, he chose the latter.

But yes, as you say a rakshasa is not a ghost or other spirit being.

devotee
19 December 2009, 01:17 AM
When we have pure thoughts, are sexually pure within marriage, and celibate before marriage, when we avoid alcohol, when we treat people with kindness, etc. the lower asuric forces, basically have no interest in us. So they stay away. This is why Tiruvalluvar, Patanjali, and others wrote codes of moral conduct to follow. This is one of the dangers of jumping ahead on the path to meditation, kundalini, and the like that westerners are prone to do.
This is also why we have the menstrual customs, the 31 day affter death, and birth customs, wearing clean clothes, purification rituals etc. It all makes our minds tougher in a way to prevent any negativity from entering within the psychic auric circle. Its all about prevention, as the lower forces are out there, and can subtly influence our decisions, and are harder to get rid of once the gates are open so to speak.
This is much closer to how Hindus see it.

We said, EM !

I will like to add here that spiritual vibrations matter a lot. The purity of thoughts, going to sacred places, reading religious books, having saatvik company, keeping clean, mantra recital, meditation etc. produce positive vibrations. Similarly, the opposite conducts produce negative spiritual vibrations.

You attract "things" depending upon your prominent spiritual vibrations ... that includes people around you, chances in life etc. You may also attract departed souls which match your vibrations. They may be good or bad souls depending upon your spiritual vibrations. You may attract very holy spirit of a great saint ... even Lord Krishna or Lord Shiva or Mother Goddess .... if your spiritual vibrations have so high level of positivity. On the other hand, you may also attract a cruel disembodied soul too which can harm your body & mind, if your vibrations are so negative to match that of the disembodied soul.

The concept of a bad disembodied soul is perhaps different from Christianity. And good or bad is only relative ... & a bad soul can become a good soul or vice versa.

OM