PDA

View Full Version : Which path is best?

heartfully
20 December 2009, 08:09 AM
Namaste!

I have questions about these various paths (raja, bhakti, jnana, karma, hatha).

1. I read that sometimes a thinker is better going the bhakti path because the person needs to get out of their mind and into their heart. I am a) very cerebral sometimes and b) overly sentimental other times (sometimes they are assets, other tiimes they disable me spiritually). So how is it best for me to grow nearer to the Divine?

2. Is it better to follow one path or to blend them?

3. Who have been some great gurus, saints, sages, etc., who have followed any of these particular paths.

Love to you,
Heartfully

Eastern Mind
20 December 2009, 08:57 AM
Vanakkam: As Devotee pointed out in another thread, the subject is vast. Some would see the four paths you mentioned as separate. Most would not. Some would see them as steps, and still others will see them as aspects of the same path, sort of working simultaneously.

The correct path is the path that works for you. Many Hindus wouldn't have heard of any of this, as its all intellectual, and all they do or want to do is "Go Pray God". This also is correct. When western thinkers enter Hinduism, they still hang onto their previous memories of former religions and ways of thought. The Eastern thinker sees things totally differently. There are no hard and fast rules. There is no single authority, or scripture. It is essentially a path of experience only, although those that get stuck in the rational intellect would disagree or deny mystic experience. The eastern thinker has patience, because of reincarnation., whilst in the west there is this "I'd better hurry up, and figure this thing out, because of the one-life heaven/hell belief or remnants of that belief that are still held.

I agree with you about the intellect. It can get rigid. Bhakti will soften that.

As far as gurus go, there are many sites on the internet for that. Also, within these threads there is a lot of answers already posted to some of your questions. This is just a suggestion, but if I were you, I would browse first, and then come here to ask.

Aum Namasivaya

heartfully
20 December 2009, 09:12 AM
Namaste,

The reason I bring it up is I'm working on being with the Divine vs. thinking of the Divine. I want more connection with my heart.

It was actually from contemplating on this concept of various paths leading to the same destination that I realized I get so intellectual my heart can't get a word in edgewise, so to speak.

I will browse more. I shouldn't get repetitive; I apologize if I did that here.

Love to you,
Heartfully

Vanakkam: As Devotee pointed out in another thread, the subject is vast. Some would see the four paths you mentioned as separate. Most would not. Some would see them as steps, and still others will see them as aspects of the same path, sort of working simultaneously.

The correct path is the path that works for you. Many Hindus wouldn't have heard of any of this, as its all intellectual, and all they do or want to do is "Go Pray God". This also is correct. When western thinkers enter Hinduism, they still hang onto their previous memories of former religions and ways of thought. The Eastern thinker sees things totally differently. There are no hard and fast rules. There is no single authority, or scripture. It is essentially a path of experience only, although those that get stuck in the rational intellect would disagree or deny mystic experience. The eastern thinker has patience, because of reincarnation., whilst in the west there is this "I'd better hurry up, and figure this thing out, because of the one-life heaven/hell belief or remnants of that belief that are still held.

I agree with you about the intellect. It can get rigid. Bhakti will soften that.

As far as gurus go, there are many sites on the internet for that. Also, within these threads there is a lot of answers already posted to some of your questions. This is just a suggestion, but if I were you, I would browse first, and then come here to ask.

Aum Namasivaya

amoli
27 December 2009, 11:10 PM
For many of us, the arrival of autumn means it's time to stock up on Kleenex and cough drops. Along with seasonal allergies, autumn means colder weather that can bring with it colds and flu. But yoga can help by strengthening and balancing your basic weapon against sinus conditions -- the immune system. Yoga postures, pranayama, relaxation and meditation are powerful tools for helping to stimulate or calm the immune response depending on the situation.

Increased allergy symptoms indicate that your immune system is working overtime. A stuffy nose, ears and sinuses, inflamed eyes, headaches, sore throat and difficulty breathing are all caused by the mucus-producing process of the inmmune system attacking innocuous invaders. Through relaxation, the nervous system can tell the immune system to settle down and stop attacking the foreign bodies, which are naturally cleared out in a non-allergic person by sneezing once or twice a day. When the immune system backs off, inflammation and mucus decrease and symptoms diminish.

Practicing any yoga posture in a relaxing way with slow deep breathing and the intention to let go and relax the nervous system can be very beneficial in decreasing the symptoms of allergies. Kapalabhati breathing is great for allergies as it forces out the mucus. (Don't forget to keep tissues within easy reach!) The relaxation time at the end of a yoga class can also be an important part of decreasing allergic immune response. Encourage your students to relax and affirm that the relaxation will help decrease their reaction to allergens. However, be aware that students suffering from allergies may become too congested when lying on their backs; you can suggest they lie on the stomach or side if that's more comfortable.

Relaxing the nervous system has been shown to help direct the immune system to attack the viruses and bacteria that increase in colder weather. Colds are caused by bacteria and affect the upper respiratory system, causing stuffiness, coughing, sore throat, etc. If the immune system is weak, the bacteria can go into the lungs and cause bronchitis or pneumonia. Viruses go deeper into the system, causing chills, fever or pain and aching in the joints.

But a strong immune system can frost the invaders within a few days, preventing more extreme manifestations of the illness and in fact strengthening the immune system. Again, yoga postures done in a relaxed way and slow, deep pranayama can help relax the nervous system and boost the immune response.

Another way to build the immune system and improve sinus-related conditions is to focus on the thymus gland. Located in the chest, the thymus gland is the locus of the immune system. Thus both the thymus gland and the immune system are stimulated by any posture in which we open the chest and breathe deeply into it. The most beneficial postures for this purpose are the Cobra, the Pigeon, the Fish, the Boat, the Bow and the Bridge.

Since the thymus gland corresponds to the fourth chakra, these postures can be enhanced by including chakra sounds such as the fourth chakra bij mantra "yum" or the fourth chakra vowel sound "ay." Kapalabhati breathing or slow deep ujjayi breathing in postures where the chest is open can also be beneficial. Experiment with practicing the postures as you breathe deeply into the chest and sound the mantras. My audiotape on Prana Yoga, send out through KYTA last spring, will help guide you in combining the mantras with the postures.

With a relaxed nervous system and a focused and revitalized immune system, you'll find you're able to resist autumn allergens and throw off winter's infections more readily.
Practicing the postures, breathing exercises and meditation makes you healthier in body, mind and spirit. Yoga lets you tune in, chill out, shape up -- all at the same time.

For many people, that's enough of an answer. But there's more if you're interested.

For starters, yoga is good for what ails you. Specifically, research shows that yoga helps manage or control anxiety, arthritis, asthma, back pain, blood pressure, carpal tunnel syndrome, chronic fatigue, depression, diabetes, epilepsy, headaches, heart disease, multiple sclerosis, stress and other conditions and diseases.
yoga therapy (http://www.sivanandabahamas.org/yoga-terapy.htm)