PDA

View Full Version : Iyer and Iyengar

narayanan
23 August 2006, 08:37 PM
Namaskaram all,

I have seen so many Iyers are getting married with Iyerngars..
Is that acceptable as per Dharma.
Post your opinion/views about this?

Narayana Narayana...

saidevo
24 August 2006, 02:18 AM
In my opinion, since both Iyers and Iyengars are Brahmins who are entitled to study and recite Vedas (how far we are doing it is another matter). Therefore, the inter-sect marriages between Iyers and Iyengars is to be welcomed.

But today a horrifying trend is seen in the Iyer/Iyengar community. Their girls and boys, specially in the software industry, choose their life partners from other Hindu castes and even other religions, which, in my opinion is to be highly discouraged and perhaps prevented.

Hindu girls/boys from the Brahmin and other communities marrying boys/girls from other religions, specially Christianity is increasingly seen. They don't realize that such an act puts and end to their Hindu family tree and reduces the Hindu population. It seems that Christians are regularly targetting Brahmins and other communities by encouraging their wards to choose their life partners from the Hindu communities. In all such cases it almost invariably happens that the Hindu boy/girl gets converted (not the other way).

Here is a link that advocates for the caste system:

"Are the Hindus going to repeat the missionary propaganda and deny the strengths of their own civilization or are they going to understand the institution of caste dispassionately?"

-- an article with a refreshingly different and positive perspective on the caste system at http://www.christianaggression.org/item_display.php?type=ARTICLES&id=1155676617

TruthSeeker
24 August 2006, 02:22 AM
Is Iyerngars= Srivaishnav and Iyer=Smarta?

In that case, there should be no restrictions as per Dharma( Manusmriti etc). I think these restrictions were later introductions with the idea of uniting people with similar beliefs that is an aid to sAdhana. Which may not important these days to most people.