PDA

View Full Version : Rhinoplasty and Pranayama

kshama
21 December 2009, 03:25 PM
Namaskar Blessed Members of the Forum,

I was reading an article abt pranayama on the net. I do not practice any hatha yoga asanas or breathing. So I do not know anything abt this topic. On the article, there was an advertisement abt rhinoplasty (nose surgery). I am intrigued to know whether rhinoplasty will affect the individual in hatha yoga. Say, a person is having a big nose, but the inner sides makes him/her difficult to breathe, so that person undergoes some surgical correction where the nose becomes pointed and the air passages in the nose being made such a way, that it is now wider. Now he/she can breathe without any problems.

This individual learns hatha yoga a year after the surgery. I have sets of questions for this situation.

1)Now, does the surgery has an effect of the pranayama that practiced by the individual, after surgery (when he/she is completed healed)?
2)Since the air passage in the nose get widened, doesn't it alter the air movements and makes it somehat not natural?
3)Will the prana flow be normal as it was before surgery? Does the modification of the nose affects that?

I know these questions sounds confusing. I appreciate any views.

Eastern Mind
21 December 2009, 06:02 PM
Vanakkam:

I would imagine it help with that horrid uncontrollable snoring at night as well. If the leg is broken, fix it.

Aum Namasivaya

kshama
21 December 2009, 06:27 PM
Vanakkam:

I would imagine it help with that horrid uncontrollable snoring at night as well. If the leg is broken, fix it.

Aum Namasivaya

Vanakam Eastern Mind Ji,

Thanks you for your views. Yes, logically it should fix problems like snoring. But we do not know, whether this nose modification will affect the prana. Let's see what the views of yoga practitioners here.

Eastern Mind
22 December 2009, 06:06 PM
Namaste kshama:

Seriously, as prana is life force, I would think that this either would not have any effect at all, or it would be a positive effect. It reminds me of the new discovery for MS of constricted veins in the neck that the regular medical establishment is so opposed to. Any opening of flowing currents should be a positive thing, I would think.

BTW, I also discoverd the meaning of your name.. nice.

Aum Namasivaya

kshama
22 December 2009, 06:31 PM
@ Eastern Mind Ji,

Vanakam. Thank you for your views. Yes I guess it will have no effect, but perhaps only people who have had a nose surgery would be able to be precise on this matter. Thanks for the compliment.

arjunah
01 July 2011, 10:00 AM
I think you could work through it by continued practice of deep breathing.

Jainarayan
01 July 2011, 10:18 AM
Namaste arjunah.

I think you could work through it by continued practice of deep breathing.

Sometimes the internal nasal tissues are so overgrown, or obstructed by (benign) polyps that breathing through the nose is almost impossible. The common surgery (I studied on it and went through it for obstructive sleep apnea) is septoplasty, polypectomy and turbinectomy.

Septoplasty corrects a deviated or otherwise defective septum; polypectomy removes the polyps by using a snare; turbinectomy is reduction of the small convoluted bones, called turbinates, inside the nose.

The cosmetic part of rhinoplasty is what most people think of as a "nose job". But it can be a purely medical procedure, and not even cosmetic. Believe you me, it makes a big difference in being able to breathe! :)