PDA

View Full Version : Agnipariksha

kshama
21 December 2009, 06:45 PM
Namaste Blessed Members of the Forum,

Recently I encountered a video on youtube. It's a scene from a movie, Lajja. I do not know Hindi. I know my questions will be deemed controversial. My aim is not to create controversy. This scene is about agnipariksha. In this movie, there is a twist in the dialogue, it makes me think so deep.

That particular scene makes me think why only Sita Devi has to go through the ordeal? Lord Ram too was separated from her. I know it is done to prove Sita Devi as epitome of purity. But why only women need to prove themselves?

Let's look at it this way, sometimes, in certain circumstances, women need to take a virginity test before they get married. This is to ensure her character is good for the family. There can't be any tests for men, it is impossible. Though men are more wild these days, yet they are always called men. But if it is the womenfolk, they call them another word altogether. Now, this is only my rant. It has nothing to do with the agnipariksha above. Just wanted relate how women are treated differently.

I stress again, it is not my intention to create controversy, I wish to know what do you opine on this whole episode.

Harjas Kaur
21 December 2009, 07:28 PM
Here is another thread which had discussed this, you might like to read through.

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4687

Reason why women are treated differently has to do with physicality. Men might have terrible behavior, but they do not have a womb and bear children. Women engaging in the same kind of lose moral behavior will be polluting the very womb their children are born in. In the past, also, there were no paternity tests and so the fatherhood could not be established without certainty if the woman had been an immoral and untrustworthy person. Why is it like this? Why is there a sun and a moon? We have been males and females in many past births. There is no injustice, only different cycles of the process of being. It matters how both males and females act. But the consequences of a woman's actions have greater repercussions because she conceives and bears children. About the worst thing a child could be called is the son of a prostitute. That is because the responsibility of the mother is so great, it affect countless generations to come. And the blessing of a good mother also has a lasting generational effect.

Also, women are in general physically weaker than a man, and easily overpowered. So even with the highest morals, a woman can be forced and lose her honor. In the case where Ravan kidnapped Sita, there was a public doubt about her honor. It was her own choice to prove her honor with the same kind of courage a warrior goes to meet his death on a battlefield. Her honor was the same as someone noble and brave. She had no fear because she was certain even if the whole world was not.

kshama
21 December 2009, 07:33 PM
Here is another thread which had discussed this, you might like to read through.

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4687

Namaskar Harjas Kaur Ji,

Thank you for the link. I agree, women has a lot of role to play in a family. All that happened in Ramayana too has its purpose. Yet, I still believe there's unjust when treating women, I am not talking in religious sense, but in todays modern world.

Harjas Kaur
21 December 2009, 07:39 PM
Yes there is terrible injustice always against the weaker and more vulnerable people, children, women, animals, etc. That is the very nature of injustice. But all this manifest world is a reflection of the mental caliber of the beings which inhabit it. Most people's spirituality and mentality is closer to hellish realms and leds to actions which create conditions of injustice and suffering. So our thoughts and hearts need to be purified with spiritual practices so that our actions reflect good deeds and heal the world instead of making it sicker.

kshama
21 December 2009, 07:50 PM
@Harjas Kaur Ji,

Yes that's true, so much adharma in this world, there's injustice here and there. You are right, we all have to purify our hearts. If everyone does that, the world will be a better place.

devotee
21 December 2009, 09:44 PM
Namaste Kshama & HK ji,

I, being a male, don't approve of this Agnipariksha for Sita ... if it was done for Sita, it should have been do for Ram too.

HK ji's reply is very impressive & that shows the high level of sanskaar she carries. However, purity is required from both father & mother & not just mother. Though I agree that mother plays a much vital role in making the person ... while the child is in womb & also when he learns sanskaars from the mother. There is a saying in Hinduism that a corrupt man is one corrupt person but a corrupt woman makes the whole family corrupt. So, that puts extra responsibility on women.

OM

kshama
21 December 2009, 10:02 PM
Namaste Kshama & HK ji,

I, being a male, don't approve of this Agnipariksha for Sita ... if it was done for Sita, it should have been do for Ram too.

HK ji's reply is very impressive & that shows the high level of sanskaar she carries. However, purity is required from both father & mother & not just mother. Though I agree that mother plays a much vital role in making the person ... while the child is in womb & also when he learns sanskaars from the mother. There is a saying in Hinduism that a corrupt man is one corrupt person but a corrupt woman makes the whole family corrupt. So, that puts extra responsibility on women.

OM

Namaskar Devotee Ji,

There's so much to learn from Ramayana. In the case of Agnipariksha, I sense there's unjust, but then, perhaps there's a reason behind the happenings.

In today's world, so much sexism happening. This should not be condoned. People should give equal treatment to women and men, in a praise or censure.

sanjaya
21 December 2009, 11:05 PM
At the risk of questioning God, I too think it was wrong for Sita to have to undergo Agnipariksha, and not Lord Rama. Maybe it's just my limited understanding at work. Maybe Rama did it more to silence his own people and quell any potential criticism of his wife. But I'm not ultimately sure.

kshama
21 December 2009, 11:14 PM
@ Sanjaya Ji,

Namaskar, thank you for your views. I was quite apprehensive to put forth this question, because, it is the same like questioning God's actions. But I think this is the right platform (here in this forum) where, seniors, elders and even fellow members who have the right knowledge and wisdom can educate aspirants like me. Sometimes, our perspective of viewing certain things, particularly related to religion might not be based on the right premise. This is what satsang all about, to impart knowlege. Let's hope we'll get the correct understanding from this incident in Ramayana.

sanjaya
23 December 2009, 02:08 AM
@ Sanjaya Ji,

Namaskar, thank you for your views. I was quite apprehensive to put forth this question, because, it is the same like questioning God's actions. But I think this is the right platform (here in this forum) where, seniors, elders and even fellow members who have the right knowledge and wisdom can educate aspirants like me. Sometimes, our perspective of viewing certain things, particularly related to religion might not be based on the right premise. This is what satsang all about, to impart knowlege. Let's hope we'll get the correct understanding from this incident in Ramayana.

Yes, I too hope to learn from the people that you mentioned. I think that in Hinduism, a certain level of "questioning God" is encouraged. I am thankful that in Hinduism, God doesn't punish dissent with eternal hell or anything of that nature. Indeed the Gita is littered with statements by Arjuna that he doesn't understand Krishna's teachings, and that they don't make sense to him. The Lord did not become angry with him, but took the time to explain everything to Arjuna's satisfaction. And ultimately even our Scriptures, revered as they are, are still not above human reason. The key, I think, is that we question God from a posture of humility and not arrogance. I accept that God is wiser than I am, but I also do not believe that he wants me to abandon my reasoning abilities and follow him blindly, lest I follow my faulty interpretation of his teachings and commit religious atrocities as so many in the past have done in almost every religion.

amra
23 December 2009, 02:23 AM
Rama was Maryada Purshottam. In everything he followed maryada, why should he be taken in by attachment to his wife and not follow maryada. It is the weakness of human thinking and the current emphasis on individual life that makes it seem as though he done an injustice. It would have been an injustice if he had not done Agnipariksha it would have made whatever he done in the past worthless.