PDA

View Full Version : difficulty starting

xAtlasx
22 December 2009, 05:50 PM
I feel drawn to MahaKali, but I don't have Hindu friends and the closest temple is quite a ways away.

What do you guys suggest I should start practicing i.e. specific prayers, pujas, meditations, devotions etc.? Any good books?

Any help would be appreciated!

sanjaya
23 December 2009, 01:47 AM
I'm something of a newcomer myself, though not entirely, since I was born Hindu and am coming back to the religion after some time. Basically I started out by reading Gita, chanting various mantras that I learned as a child, and getting my family to start doing pujas again. I'm still figuring this out myself, so I don't have many more suggestions than that.

You're 18 years old; are you in college? If so, there is likely a Hindu student group on your campus, and you could join them. This would be a good way to start participating in pujas. Other than that, I would recommend reading the Gita. It's not an "important" Scripture per se, but it's an excellent summary of Hindu teaching, and is perhaps the most widely known Hind text.

Just one thing I'd recommend. If your religious background is non-Hindu, I'd suggest looking to your original religion and making sure that there isn't some way you can connect to God through it. Conversion is a serious, life-changing process, and really shouldn't be done unless absolutely necessary. If God made you as a non-Hindu, then it's certainly no sin to be a non-Hindu.

ScottMalaysia
23 December 2009, 06:23 AM
If you're drawn to MahaKali, then make a shrine to Her. You need a picture of her and a picture of Lord Ganesha, the elephant-headed God, who is worshipped before all rituals. You should add a third picture as well as you need an odd number of pictures - possibly Lord Shiva, Lord Murugan, or another form of the Holy Mother.

The shrine doesn't have to be elaborate - the top of a dresser can do. Put the pictures on the shrine and offer incense daily. Offer the incense by waving it around the pictures clockwise an odd number of times (7 being the best). I'd also recommend an oil lamp - you can make one with a new glass and some wire to hold the wick. Fill it half with water and half with olive oil. Don't use groundnut oil as it brings bad luck. Light the lamp every evening (or every morning and evening) and say this prayer (http://www.hindudevotionalblog.com/2008/10/prayer-when-lighting-lamp-sanskrit.html) while lighting it.