PDA

View Full Version : Temple Reconsecration

ScottMalaysia
17 January 2010, 02:40 AM
I know that a Hindu temple is reconsecrated every twelve years, but is there any action that would cause a temple to be desecrated and need to be reconsecrated in order for worship to be carried out? Is it possible for a person to do anything to desecrate a temple?

I remember last year, some Muslims in Malaysia carried a cow head in a protest against the construction of a Hindu temple. Fortunately they didn't take it into a temple, but if they had, would the temple have required reconsecration or just cleaning?

Eastern Mind
17 January 2010, 07:58 AM
Vannakkam Scott:

Very interesting question. I would think it would vary on the beliefs of the temple devotees or those in charge of it. If they still do animal sacrifice, then obviously the above issues shouldn't be a real problem.

There is this whole 'Gods are symbols of the divine" concept as well as the more mystical "Murthis via worship and sanctity can become keepers of Devas and Mahadevas. In the latter conceptualisation of what a temple is, yes you can desecrate it. Why else the no shoes, no cameras, no blood rules, among others?

When first encountering the menstrual custom, here, I asked the same question of a Tamil elder. I think he wanted to make a point to us westerners, by using stronger language. This was the quote. "If that happens, then it's not a temple."

As far as resanctifying goes, it varies from what I know. There wouldn't have to be a full kumbabhishekham, but the priest might decide to do a special homam or two. I've also heard of a temple being closed to the public, and only the purest of the pure staying in for ceremonies.

I am not sure of the rules in sects or sampradayas more common in North India. I do know that the sense of having a sanctum sanctorum, holiest of holies, moolasthanam isn't as common.

Hopefully others can weigh in.