PDA

View Full Version : When I was very young..

Tirisilex
17 January 2010, 03:03 PM
I remember a time when I was very young I had a dream.. It was of a Buddha sitting in the middle of like a hundred surrounding him.. They said something to me but I cant remember what it was. I don't know what could inspire such a dream because my family was catholic and don't know a thing about eastern religions. I haven't considered myself as a Buddhist for quite awhile now since I had a vision of Krishna about 5 years ago. I was a Buddhist since 2000 and studied under a lama for that time. I would ask him about it but I haven't seen him in a long time and I don't know how to get in touch with him anymore.

What could it mean??

Eastern Mind
17 January 2010, 03:36 PM
Tirisilex: When I was very young an Aunt (I think) asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said, "I want to go to the high mountains of Tibet to meditate." Can't tell if I just thought it was cool or not. Some mystics say there are past-life memories residing in babies, and the very young, until this life overpowers them. Occasionally such things happen because of this. That would be my humble guess. Many Eastern souls are getting born over here.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
17 January 2010, 03:56 PM
When i was young, i kept feeing a trickle wash over my head, like a small raindrop whenever i passed by a religious place.

I later learned water is put on the head as an abishekam.

Ekanta
17 January 2010, 05:01 PM
Hey, nice thread!
Strange, but the earliest memory I have is that I was born with a purpose and must engage in meditation. Other didnt know, but I knew this very well.

Tirisilex
17 January 2010, 05:06 PM
Maybe I should repost this as a question.. What was your childhood experience (If you had one)?? Change the title to.. "When you were very young you.."

Spiritualseeker
17 January 2010, 05:30 PM
Perhaps it was a sign for you to search for wisdom in the east. Particularly Buddhism and hinduism. A lot of times in dream interpretation you need to remember the feeling you had in the dream. I am not sure what I am doing with my practice, I do SRF techniques, but dont really have a particular belief, but I will get dreams sometimes where I am in a Hindu Temple and some reason it is associated with Ganesha and Siva. Though in reality I dont have the guts to truely become a saivite etc... To be honest my friend, I still wondering what my dreams are about. Perhaps you should ask your higher self. Dwell deep in meditation and lets see if there is an answer. If nothing happens, throw some spoiled fruit at me lol.

Skull
04 July 2010, 04:49 PM
deleted

atanu
04 July 2010, 11:33 PM
We were poor -- well low middle class. I had a wish that on growing up i would purchase a two wheeler and would carry my father to office and back home. A lone friend, to whom i discolsed this, chided me for my petty aim.

goodlife
05 July 2010, 01:21 AM
as a kid i used to imagi ne i would grow up and fight god. if i get defeated i would get moksh, if i defeated him i would be god :D

Eastern Mind
05 July 2010, 07:11 AM
Vannakkam Atanu:

Good friend? I suppose how serious the comment was would be an indicator.

I remember being chided by a colleague for living in a condo, instead of a house. We had made the choice for my wife to be a stay at home mom. So I thought, "You ______, don't you realise it is because we can't afford it?" It's tough when you are on the poor side of a rich to poor insensitive comment. But the good thing is the memory is harsh enough to perhaps change your own behaviour to not be that way yourself.

BTW, I believe that what you say when you are very young before really getting an intellect constructed in this lifetime, the words can be indicators of the immediate past life. But I would never read to much into it.

One of my sons looked at me when he was about 2 or so, and told me he came from a tree. I believe a friend of mine who passed a way in a tragic accident came with me from his funeral. I swear I saw him up in a spruce tree looking down at his own funeral. But who knows? Many would say I have a vivid imagination.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
05 July 2010, 11:04 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté

I have found these quotes to be self-evident:

Youth is a wonderful thing - what a crime to waste it on children.
George Bernard Shaw

Youth would be an ideal state if it came later in life.
Herbert Henry Asquith

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct them to hold in higher esteem those who think alike then those who think differently
Friedrich Nietzsche

praṇām

atanu
05 July 2010, 12:24 PM
Vannakkam Atanu:

Good friend? I suppose how serious the comment was would be an indicator.

I remember being chided by a colleague for living in a condo, instead of a house. We had made the choice for my wife to be a stay at home mom. So I thought, "You ______, don't you realise it is because we can't afford it?" It's tough when you are on the poor side of a rich to poor insensitive comment. But the good thing is the memory is harsh enough to perhaps change your own behaviour to not be that way yourself.

BTW, I believe that what you say when you are very young before really getting an intellect constructed in this lifetime, the words can be indicators of the immediate past life. But I would never read to much into it.

One of my sons looked at me when he was about 2 or so, and told me he came from a tree. I believe a friend of mine who passed a way in a tragic accident came with me from his funeral. I swear I saw him up in a spruce tree looking down at his own funeral. But who knows? Many would say I have a vivid imagination.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM

At that time my friend was close enough to warrant disclosure of my wish to him yet he was not my best friend. I was not very young either. He looked at me aghast, incredulous that one can have such petty ambition. He particularly had high ambitions. But his comment had no effect on me.

What impacted on me profoundly was something else. I became very ambitious for fame through professional work -- such as through publishing papers etc. in professional journals. I worked very hard and made many enemies in my mind. Then suddenly destiny drew me to Shri Ramana's teachings and I read Shri Ramana saying that craving for fame was not better than prostitution. Now I was aghast. At that time, I considered fame through good work to be the ultimate good aim -- at least better than craving for money and power. It took sometime to understand Shri Ramana's core teaching.

Om Namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
05 July 2010, 01:32 PM
Vannakkam Atanu:

It is not the fame itself, but the desire for fame. Sometimes fame just falls out of the air, whether you like it or not. I was recently watching an interview with a fairly famous singer here in Canada. It got dropped on her at about age 14 because someone discovered her beautiful voice. She had no desire for fame, but there it was, staring her in the eye. She said that she had a hard time for about two years, until she had a real insight, "Hey, nothing has to change. I can still just be me, the person who I always was." But she wasn't out for the fame in the first place. There are a few more like her that fame didn't alter. Take Ramana or most of our religious leaders,for example. Fame wouldn't have altered him one iota. Some athletes, some politicians. I thionk those who aren't altered are admired. Certainly by me.

But as an individual, I don't think you'd really know until the personal destiny of fame came along. I don't think it's in my destiny.

Aum Namasivaya

atanu
05 July 2010, 01:49 PM
Vannakkam Atanu:

It is not the fame itself, but the desire for fame. Sometimes fame just falls out of the air, whether you like it or not. I was recently watching an interview with a fairly famous singer here in Canada. It got dropped on her at about age 14 because someone discovered her beautiful voice. She had no desire for fame, but there it was, staring her in the eye. She said that she had a hard time for about two years, until she had a real insight, "Hey, nothing has to change. I can still just be me, the person who I always was." But she wasn't out for the fame in the first place. There are a few more like her that fame didn't alter. Take Ramana or most of our religious leaders,for example. Fame wouldn't have altered him one iota. Some athletes, some politicians. I thionk those who aren't altered are admired. Certainly by me.

But as an individual, I don't think you'd really know until the personal destiny of fame came along. I don't think it's in my destiny.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM

Yes. You are correct. Things happen. Ramana says 'Craving for fame' and not just 'fame'. But he warns of second time. The singer in your example will be truly tested when fame is withdrawn from her. I had talked of an 18 year cycle of Rahu dasha.

We had Shri Narasimha Rao as Prime Minister of India. In an official function we saw him inaugurate a stadium. In the next function at the same venue, we saw him being judged of corruption, standing as an accused in the same stadium that he had inaugurated. That is the time when the true grit would have been tested.

Om Namah Shivaya

Eastern Mind
05 July 2010, 03:45 PM
Vannakkam Atanu:

We're substantially off topic, but:http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

The singer in question must be near 70 by now, and seems to have handled the decline with grace. She can still sell out small venues. BTW, I am no fan as her style is not mine. Poor lady was just an example is some topic on a forum she knows nothing about.

But along the same line, we often don't know how we may react to anything, because of our own egos and mind games the mind is capable of playing on itself.

Aum Namasivaya

atanu
06 July 2010, 01:47 AM
Vannakkam Atanu:

We're substantially off topic, but:http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
Aum Namasivaya

Yaa, old people slowly lose the sense of coordination. Organs do not function synchronised.

This reminds me of another.

When I was young, I used to roam around on terrace and watch eagles circling leisurely at great heights. I remember the experience was near divine.

Once, however, i looked down the terrace parapet wall down below where an open drain used to exist. At the edge of the wall i saw a very young pig -- pink and lovely. He was scratching himself with one leg raised up and standing on three legs, when he slipped and fell. And the next part no one will believe. He got up and looked here and there to ensure that no one was witness to his ugly fall and then walked away.

Just rambling.

Om Namah Shivaya

NayaSurya
07 July 2010, 02:30 PM
When I was young but not very young...

I went on holiday to a wonderful amusement park. But, it was so warm, over 100 heat index, I found myself in a place called Bahari Wave pool...which has water light crystal blue like a jewel and crests like the shore of an ocean from a large basin.

Because we came early I had not had time for my japa in our rental units we were staying at, so I sat in the center and was doing this on my fingers amongst a sea of strangers while listening to the Gita on my Ipod thingy. The ocean washed over us and I simply let the entire world slip away.

When I opened my eyes after many moments...there before be stood over 20+ hindu...all in modest normal western clothes, save the very very eldest, who wore a sari.

I watched them all together and had to close my eyes because they possess something so inherently precious to me...a loving support network full of acceptance where friends and family would not refuse to come into their home due to Siva and Krishna on the wall. There, in a sarong and kurti as I watched these precious folks and their families play and laugh...their children in Nike shoes and all western clothes too.

My children grew tired and wanted to move on but as I stood to leave I closed my eyes again and I could still see the entire scene before me, but now the people, the water...the everything...was simply a stream of golden energy...each person a tiny single light amongst the current.

Right in the center, Beloved Siva...so brightly radiant as the sun as we all flowed from His Center. The wind picked up and even in this vision the wind blew like a sparkler firework. Blowing sand like bits of golden light faster along. I became afraid and opened my eyes.

But, what a beautiful sight it was. It made me understand that no matter what...what color I am...or clothes...we are truly all emanating from that Blessed Divine Being...The Beloved. To Him we all look beautifully the same.

The Father knows this child so well...even in this blessed moment in which truly I was just along for my children's enjoyment, there was a message to find.

Why does the dog learn to speak the language of humanbeings?
Perhaps it is because dog, human...lettuce...tree...every single thing under manifest creation all looks exactly the same in that beautiful stream of energy...why shouldn't the dog know more? They aren't really a dog are they?

They really aren't.

Hari Om<3

atanu
11 July 2010, 04:23 AM
When I was young, I used to roam around on terrace and watch eagles circling leisurely at great heights. I remember the experience was near divine.

Once, however, i looked down the terrace parapet wall down below where an open drain used to exist. At the edge of the wall i saw a very young pig -- pink and lovely. He was scratching himself with one leg raised up and standing on three legs, when he slipped and fell. And the next part no one will believe. He got up and looked here and there to ensure that no one was witness to his ugly fall and then walked away.

Just rambling.

Om Namah Shivaya

It occurred that we are like that pink kid pig. We are conscious of our falls and go to any extent to hide imperfections and sins. But possibly, the universal witness grins indulgently and mumbles under breath: Foolish.

Om Namah Shivaya

atanu
16 July 2010, 02:11 AM
I remember one particularly shameful incident of youth (there are many more of course).

A few of my friends and me were sitting in the school library, when a demon possessed me. I bet with a friend that I would sneak out a book from the library. Group mentality, for what it is, endorsed my proposal with hefty glee and enthusiasm, spurring me to immediate action. I put a book under my pullover and tried to walk out of the library, but I was caught at the gate by a smiling face librarian. Seeing the librarian smiling I wrongly thought that the danger was averted and he would pardon me. But no, with smile intact, he took me to the Principal, parading me through the corridors. The Principal called my father for a meeting.

In the meeting, he said benevolently that since I was one of his best student, he would tackle the issue lightly and asked me to report to him directly, if I ever needed a book.

But I was ashamed that the whole school came to know of the captured thief. I was ashamed that my father was called to the school. Even today, I feel weepy just imagining the pain he might have had to endure.

----------------------

I have often struggled with such spur of the moment destructive impulses. Results of some such impulses have been rather harsh.

What does one do who has already done such a mistake. We see a lot of sermonising but the fact is that one finds these sermons after the event has passed and the damage has been done and often when one has to live with the results.

Om Namah Shivaya

Onkara
16 July 2010, 04:53 AM
Touching story Atanu. I would agree that the impulses are the cause of many regrets. I have noticed these become less or at least they are less destructive in their results over the years, however I still rather live without the regret and painful memories. :)

Ekanta
16 July 2010, 05:11 AM
What does one do who has already done such a mistake

Lol, I did something similar, with the similar consequences. Anyway, I'd say be grateful for the memory, its a good experience.