PDA

View Full Version : prayer request

Sherab
18 January 2010, 02:15 PM
hello everyone.. going to my first day of college...

I'm very nervous, i have not been in school for 3 years...

goodlife
19 January 2010, 10:17 AM
Hi Sherab

All the very best on your first day. Enjoy the butterflies till they fly in your stomach.

let us know how was your experience.

Sherab
19 January 2010, 12:01 PM
the first day was very relaxed, and i still am staying home with my family for the most part.. but i will be very busy. last time i was in highschool,i was a real bum... I didn't even graduate! I got a high school equivalent, or "GED" a year or two ago, and have been lazy since.

Dharma for me, is being a student. Somehow, someone knew my apths would converge with hinduism and this. IE. i took 5-6 months without any religion, after i ahd investigated them all. I was deciding between islam and hinduism...

I chose hinduism.

Another thing that may be of interest: Before i left, i prayed to Ganesha so i wouldnt get lost, would have a good time... and I did. In fact, two people i sat right next too in one (out of 2) of my classes last night... used to be in the army, just like me. And I didn't even know it...

Aum shri ganeshaya nama...

sunyata07
22 January 2010, 11:40 AM
Hello Sherab,

I know I'm a few days late in posting this, but I'd like to wish you well in your new college. I hope you'll find it a very positive and worthwhile experience and contribute to your learning, and that you'll make a lot friends while you're at it. I'm glad to see you back at the forum. Enjoy your college days and remember that Lord Ganesha will be watching out for you always.

Namaste.

Spiritualseeker
22 January 2010, 11:44 AM
the first day was very relaxed, and i still am staying home with my family for the most part.. but i will be very busy. last time i was in highschool,i was a real bum... I didn't even graduate! I got a high school equivalent, or "GED" a year or two ago, and have been lazy since.

Dharma for me, is being a student. Somehow, someone knew my apths would converge with hinduism and this. IE. i took 5-6 months without any religion, after i ahd investigated them all. I was deciding between islam and hinduism...

I chose hinduism.

Another thing that may be of interest: Before i left, i prayed to Ganesha so i wouldnt get lost, would have a good time... and I did. In fact, two people i sat right next too in one (out of 2) of my classes last night... used to be in the army, just like me. And I didn't even know it...

Aum shri ganeshaya nama...

I am glad that you are finding friends and feeling college life with ease. It will have its difficulties, but If I am getting through it than without a doubt you will get through it (im lazy).

Thats interesting you chose Sanatana Dharma over Islam. If you wish you can look at some of my posts on "Was Muhammad enlightened" I practiced Islam for 7 years. It burned me out and caused me not to trust dogma (which I am greatful for) and now there is endless posibilities before me.

Om
-juan

Spiritualseeker
22 January 2010, 11:45 AM
Also if you dont mind tell us why you decided hinduism over islam?

Sherab
22 January 2010, 12:00 PM
Also if you dont mind tell us why you decided hinduism over islam?

I honestly couldn't decide myself.

A "friend" had to step in and help me out.

That's all i want to say in the topic... It's deeply personal.

Spiritualseeker
22 January 2010, 12:59 PM
Namaste

Sherab
22 January 2010, 01:11 PM
Namaste

i'm sure you understand, no hard feelings... In fact, i couldn't put it into words, even if i wanted to.

namaste.

Spiritualseeker
22 January 2010, 06:03 PM
Absolutely, no prob

OM

Eastern Mind
22 January 2010, 06:38 PM
hello everyone.. going to my first day of college...

I'm very nervous, i have not been in school for 3 years...

Vannakkam Sherab: Really you should have no problem. I was out for 4 years between high school and university. I learned a whole lot of stuff about myself and the world then. Like you, I simple wasn't ready. There seemed to be no point. The education system seemed to not train you for reality, at least not up to that point. I worked a lot of different jobs including bartending, construction laborer , farm hand (my dad had a double hernia, and I took over), grain buyer, etc. I also found a wife and a Guru during that time. When I did go back, it was because I wanted to be there. But the silly thing was I found all the younger students to be really immature. Being 22 versus 18 was a substantial difference. But because of my better attitude, I was able to complete a 4 year degree in only 3 by overloading. So I'm sure everythiing will be smooth like ice. Enjoy it.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
22 January 2010, 08:07 PM
thanks EM :)

Do you have any study tips for me?

the homework is easy, but the memorization isnt. Maybe i just have to want to learn...
i'll try again tomorrow.

Eastern Mind
22 January 2010, 08:41 PM
Vannakkam Sherab: You just got started again. It has to take a bit of time. What courses are you taking?

Its been so long since I studied, and I was never good at memorizing stuff I wasn't interested in. Maybe other students like Star or Sunyata would be of more help.

I memorized Sanskrit slokas on the way to work in the car, instead of listening to the radio. That probably is of little use.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
23 January 2010, 09:47 AM
Vannakkam Sherab: You just got started again. It has to take a bit of time. What courses are you taking?

Its been so long since I studied, and I was never good at memorizing stuff I wasn't interested in. Maybe other students like Star or Sunyata would be of more help.

I memorized Sanskrit slokas on the way to work in the car, instead of listening to the radio. That probably is of little use.

Aum Namasivaya
I have a very basic math course - Math 100.
Psychology 105, and computer information 105.
Also, introduction to art.

All intro courses pretty much.

Only four classes, i couldnt pay for anymore.

sunyata07
26 January 2010, 02:00 PM
Do you have any study tips for me?

the homework is easy, but the memorization isnt. Maybe i just have to want to learn...
i'll try again tomorrow.

Namaste Sherab,

I'm echoing EM's words here, but he's right: take it easy. Wait until you get back into the pattern of learning a little every night, and see which way you learn best. Once you find that out, you'll be doing fine, it will just be a case of sticking to it and working diligently. A little bit every night is my advice. Don't leave it all until a week before examinations and then cram like crazy, even though we've all been down that road from time to time. It's taken me four years of college to realise it, but memorisation isn't the key to learning things, it's understanding the material. Get that part, and you won't have to get involved in that nasty rote learning business. That's always a temporary solution, unless you somehow happen to have photographic memory.

Interesting courses you signed up for! I can't say I'd be very good at Maths (my worst subject), but I'm a final year psychology student so I'm quite intrigued to see a fellow psych student on the forum. :) If you ever have any questions, please feel free to ask me and I'll see if I can help.

Again, good luck with your courses!