PDA

View Full Version : Request: Temples sub forum

brahman
19 January 2010, 03:33 AM
Greetings to all at HDF

Dear Satay,

It’s my very humble request, if we could have a sub-forum named “Temples (with subdivisions ‘temples in North India’, east, west and the south and ‘temples outside India’.)

The numerous temples scattered throughout India might differ in the ceremonies,
some are known for its exquisite art,
the pratiṣṭha might be different,
some are centuries-old,
and some are notable temples that were witnesses of many a turning point in Indian history or even some are buried in a stunning landscape.

The energy that emerges from these temples, I am sure, adorns India as a major centre of religion.

So, let this initiative be towards an enjoyment of our culture, piety, the pretty towns associated with Hindu legends and a strengthening of our beliefs.

With text and images for even the internet users to search for…

'In his seva'

Thanks and bliss

Please ignore it if it is a repeated request

brahman
19 January 2010, 03:51 AM
Sample post

Shri. Padmanabhaswamy Temple- Trivandrum, Kerala

Padmanabhaswamy temple is a famous temple of Lord Vishnu, located inside the Fort in the city ofThiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India. The temple is one of the 108 divya desam, the holiest abodes of Lord Vishnu.
The main deity, Padmanabhaswamy, is a form of Vishnuin Anananthasayanam posture (in eternal sleep of yognidra). This is an ancient temple and the city of Thiruvananthapuram derives its name from the name of the presiding deity enshrined in the temple.

Temple and its huge pond
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/S1V8OOccOCI/AAAAAAAAAGo/l5vMKxxq4pk/s640/3495415846_4ca857aeec_o.jpg

Gopuram
The temple has a 100 foot, seven-tier gopuram. The temple stands by the side of a tank, named Padma Theertham (meaning the lotus spring). The temple has a corridor with 365 and one-quarter sculptured granite-stone pillars with elaborate carvings. This corridor extends from the eastern side into the sanctum sanctorum. An eighty-foot flag-staff stands in front of the main entry from the 'prakaram' (corridor). The ground floor under the gopuram (main entrance in the eastern side) is known as the 'Nataka Sala' where the famous temple art, Kathakali was staged in the night during the ten-day uthsavam (festival) conducted twice a year, during the Malayalam months of Meenam and Thulam.

Temple at night during festival
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/S1V8OMSqW8I/AAAAAAAAAGs/woGaequiDJk/s640/2193236200_481132df50_b.jpg

The pond
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/S1V8OuAFiTI/AAAAAAAAAG0/v-Lr45RKCuI/s640/2192485401_c54846d9a9_b.jpg

The idol is made up of 12008 salagramams that compose the reclining lord. They are special because they are from Nepal, from the banks of river Gandhaki and they were brought to the temple with all pomp and gaiety on elephant top. On top of them "katusarkara yogam",navaratnams, a special ayurvedic mix, was used to give a plaster.

Lord Shri. Padmanabha
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_-o2bsLf7TfE/S1V918zxglI/AAAAAAAAAG8/nv5BSE3305w/anantha_sayanam1-1.jpg

Darshan times are (before noon) 3.30-4.45, 6.30-7.00, 8.30-10.00, 10.30-11.00, 11.45-12.00; (after noon) 5.00-6.15 and 6.45-7.20. Only Hindus are permitted inside the temple. Devotees have to strictly follow the dress code. Men should remove clothes above waist and deposit in the locker room. No one is permitted to wear dress that displays both legs separately. This means no pants for men or churidhar for women. Dhotis can be borrowed at the locker room for Rs. 15. Dhotis can be worn over pants or churidhar. No cell phones or cameras are permitted inside the temple. Cell phones must be deposited in the locker room after taking it out of the bag for Rs. 15 a piece. Hand bags are permitted inside.

It Can be with more details and pictures

Eastern Mind
19 January 2010, 07:58 AM
Brahman: I second the motion. Templenet has a lot listed but there is something different about personal testimony, which could go on here. That's how this site could be different. For just the basic information, Templenet is really good, though.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
19 January 2010, 08:56 AM
Brahman: I second the motion. Templenet has a lot listed but there is something different about personal testimony, which could go on here. That's how this site could be different. For just the basic information, Templenet is really good, though.

Aum Namasivaya

I third this motion. I love hearing stories such as these, it makes me feel like we are a community here.

namaste :)

satay
19 January 2010, 09:28 AM
namaste brahman,

Thank you for the feedback. It is an interesting idea and I like it.
Are you thinking that members will be posting about temples that they have visited or would like to visit etc.? That would be an interesting thread. Though I think there are several sites on the net that talk about temples. The last thing we want is to have empty forums and subforums on HDF where no one posts. Empty forums are not good for the search engines and don't do anything for the members. That said, we could give it a try and see...

Please give me a few days to think about it.

Znanna
19 January 2010, 08:35 PM
To broaden the idea out, perhaps some of us could post photos and whatnot even if we don't have the lovely layout presented in the OP?

I have some beautiful pics a friend sent me, plus many saved images from general collections.

It would be really nice to have a magnificent thread :D

Eastern Mind
19 January 2010, 09:55 PM
Vannakkam: Maybe as a suggestion everyone could take a look at what's already on Templenet and other sites before posting about a temple here. Otherwise its unnecessary redundancy and more copy and paste.

Aum Namasivaya

brahman
19 January 2010, 11:46 PM
Dear Satay,
Thanks a lot for your reply and time.

I wish ‘HDFTemple’ be unique and outstanding with the contributions of our majestic community.

And thanks all members for backing this request.

Love and Bliss

devotee
20 January 2010, 01:35 AM
Namaste all,

Thanks Brahman & Satay. It is a very good suggestion. I would like that some other useful information too should be provided on these places for the benefit of the forum members :

a) Any suggestion on staying
b) How to avoid harassment from Pandas/agents etc.
c) How to commute around in the best possible manner
d) Any special preparation in advance which may help
e) Anything special to wear etc.
f) Timings which are important for darshan etc.

etc.

This may become a very useful forum.

Anyone has gone to Badrinath/Kedarnath/Gangotri ? I am interested to know more about it though I have information collected from internet.

OM

brahman
20 January 2010, 05:13 AM
Thanks Devotee.
'a complete thread' would be a beautiful idea.

Eastern Mind
20 January 2010, 07:07 AM
Vannakkam:

The Indian travel site indiamike has a lot of info on lodgings in particular areas. Even Tripadvisor has some info. We need a recommendation for accommodation at Haridwar. So far, can't really find anything in 1000-1500 range. Any suggestions? At Kasi, we plan to stay in Ganpati guest House, and go to Kasi Viswanath temple a lot besides just walking the ghats. Any help or suggestions are always appreciated.

Aum Namasivaya

Ganeshprasad
20 January 2010, 08:54 AM
Pranam EM

it will depend what time you intend to go, if it is during Kumbh Mela then i am afraid it will be difficult to recommend any thing.

there are several places one can stay in Haridwar, Ashrams and hotels on the ghat or off the ghat.
i normally stay on Niranjan Akhada road which is about 5 minutes from railway station by bicycle riksa, or 10 minutes walk.
Gujarat samaj is very popular for Gujarati's, this is just off the niranjan akhada rd, Arya niwas has many rooms which are basic and the price start from 200rs to 1000rs it has its own bathing ghat secluded, there are several ashrams on this rd i remember a hotel also i stayed in but i cant remember the name that was in year 05 cost me 1500rs then
the main Harki podi where everyone goes to bath is about 25 minutes walk or 5/10 minutes riksa ride from NA rd. there are many ashrams their and i know my cousin stayed in one off them last year, i try and get the name for you.
if you are going to Rishikesh about 23 km from Haridwar, Parmarth Niketan is the place to stay.
more on Kasi later

Jai Shree Krishna

Ganeshprasad
20 January 2010, 10:04 AM
Pranam Devotee ji

Anyone has gone to Badrinath/Kedarnath/Gangotri ? I am interested to know more about it though I have information collected from internet.

OM

Yes i have been fortunate to go there twice, this days it is made easy, there are several modes of transport available to complete this Char Dham which is very auspicious for Hindus.
It is one off the hardest yatra to undertake but Well worth it. The sheer size and the antiquity of the Himalaya is breathtaking, it certainly took me back in time, as if the time had stopped. The size of Himalaya put thing in perspective how puny we are in comparison.
Those Hindus who traversed this path on foot were the real yatri we yearn for creature comfort at every opportunity still I will not knock this, it is still an accomplishment and not everyone take up the challenge.

to go to yamunotri last journey is for about 6km from Janki chati is done on foot, mule or on Kandi.

Badrinath and Gangotri is accessed all the way by various transport, there is about 21km walk if you wish to go to Gomukh from Gangotri.

kedarnath trek is about 14km from Gauri kund, the path is wider then Yamunotri but the incline is steep, which is more demanding but the Darsan is well worth it.

i encountered less rain doing it in may/june but there was more traffic due to school holidays. In sept/oct there is more rain although in Himalaya it could rain any time. I was told it rain unusually more on our trip and therefore there was a lot of delays but we were lucky.

Jai Shree Krishna

devotee
21 January 2010, 09:39 PM
Namaste GaneshPrasad ji,

Thanks for your valuable information. You are really lucky to be able to go there two times. I am still planning even for the first time ! This is one pilgrimage which I very strongly desire to go on.

I think I would need further guidance from you when I finally decide to go there.

OM

satay
22 January 2010, 08:34 AM
namaskar,

Namaste GaneshPrasad ji,

Thanks for your valuable information. You are really lucky to be able to go there two times. I am still planning even for the first time ! This is one pilgrimage which I very strongly desire to go on.

I think I would need further guidance from you when I finally decide to go there.

OM

I second that.
GP, Do you recommend certain months in a year to go there? For example, when I was in India in March, my brother in law told me that that was not a good time to go because of closures etc. Is May/june the best time? What about the school kids traffic that you mentioned?

One good thing with my yatra to the north in March was that it was just before school exams so wherever we went, lines were either very short or didn't exist and we had the best darshans ever of everything!

Ganeshprasad
22 January 2010, 10:08 AM
Pranam Devotee ji, Satay and all

It is a wonderful desire and if I can help in any way it would be a pleasure.

Let me begin no yatra undertaken is without any pitfall, more so when we embark on this age old and most revered yatra of char dham.
I was just as apprehensive as anyone would be, how what and when so many questions, nothing prepares you fully as to what we might encounter.

Roads are closed during winter months. I never could get a straight answer as to which month from end of May to about middle end Oct. would be best to undertake this yatra.

We can expect to have rain anytime in Himalayas but I believe July and Aug. would be more so, but then I am told the valley of flowers which an amazing experience is best seen in these months and many devotees of nature purely make this trakke for this purpose.

But ours is a different aim so in my judgement May/June or sept/oct would be the best time to visit.

Off course June is a school holiday period so do expect delays for darsan. The narrow trake to Jamunotri is made more treacherous to negotiate but that at some other times, don’t let me put anyone off, it is an amazing experience in my opinion and the hot springs waiting at the top to relieve the aches and pain.

There certainly were less children in my second trip, which was in Sept. so did not have to queue up for darsan at the end of hard day trake, but we encounter much more rain this time which washed away a lot roads and tree falling which caused delays not for us we were lucky but many yatri had been waiting for days for road to be open.
I was reliably told by our driver (that reminds me he promised to take me to Sikh holy dham) who had been taking yatris for about 25 years that it was very unusual for so much rain at this time of year.

Jai Shree Krishna

kd gupta
22 January 2010, 11:09 AM
Namaste all,

Thanks Brahman & Satay. It is a very good suggestion. I would like that some other useful information too should be provided on these places for the benefit of the forum members :

a) Any suggestion on staying
b) How to avoid harassment from Pandas/agents etc.
c) How to commute around in the best possible manner
d) Any special preparation in advance which may help
e) Anything special to wear etc.
f) Timings which are important for darshan etc.

etc.

This may become a very useful forum.

OM

Very interesting Devoteeji
One my friend told that he with some fellows was at gangotri [ or yamnotry, not sure ] very early in the morning , the gate of temple was closed, so they took bath etc.
After some time Pandaram came and he just dipped his Janeu[ sacred thread ] in river cold water and opened temple .These people appeared suddenly in the temple so Pandaram asked, have you people taken bath ?
My friend replied , yes Pandaji, but YOU did not and the scene was of great laughter .

Eastern Mind
22 January 2010, 06:46 PM
Vannakkam : This temple's website has some beautiful pictures of Lord Ganesha's utsava murthy decorated. Enjoy.

http://www.htnt.org/

Aum namasivaya

satay
24 January 2010, 08:52 PM
namaskar,
I created a dedicated forum for Temples. Check out the main page. I am still not sure if it is in the right place in the overall organization of HDF.

I haven't created any subforums yet but you can start posting in the main Temples forum already. Once we get a bunch of threads, I will create the subforums.

Thanks,

brahman
01 February 2010, 03:30 AM
Dear Satay,

Thank you so much. I greatly appreciate your initiative.

In addition to the visual appeal, an experience of the art, architecture, elegant and intricate paintings, and sagas told in the ‘temple sub forum’ would create wisdom, peace of mind and foster energy for the spiritual seekers in HDF.

Let’s look forward to traveling around, spiritually...

Love and bliss