PDA

View Full Version : Growing Healthy VEGetebales inside KITCHEN

brahman
19 January 2010, 05:57 AM
Sprouting is one of the easiest ways to grow fresh vegetables for eating; both in and out of season.

Sprouts can be added to salads, sandwiches, soups and other dishes for both the crunch and the nutrition.

Sprouts are bursting with nutrients, and certain vitamins even increase when seeds are sprouted; up to 600 per cent.

Sprouts are economical too, from a single pound of seeds you can produce from six to eight pounds of sprouts.

All you have to do is add a little moisture and a little warmth to the seeds, set them in a dark place, then sit back and watch your garden grow in just a few days time.

BASIC SPROUTING EQUIPMENT: All you need to sprout seeds is a jar, some cheesecloth, plastic mesh, or plastic screen to cover the jar, and a rubber band to hold it in place. But you can also sprout seeds on a tray, on damp towels, in a clay flowerpot saucer, or in a thin layer of soil. You may also want to try the ready made sprouters that are available in large department and health food stores. For example, you can buy mesh trays or sprouting lids made of plastic mesh that fit on standard one quart canning jars. It's a good idea to try various methods to find ones that are most convenient and work best for you.

BASIC INGREDIENTS: You can sprout all kinds of seeds, legumes, and grains. Try wheat, rye, alfalfa, mung beans, chick peas, soybeans, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, or any of the other sprouting seeds, grains, and vegetables. Only one thing is essential; when buying seeds for sprouting, ALWAYS check to be sure you're getting live, untreated seed. Seeds that are intended to grow crops are specially treated to make them resistant to insects and plant diseases; and you shouldn't eat sprouts started from these chemically treated seeds. You also can't sprout seeds that have been heat treated, because even relatively low temperatures kill the seeds, leaving them edible but no longer capable of growth. For this reason, if you're growing beans, peas, or other vegetables for sprouting, be sure to use the drying method recommended for this purpose. Seeds dried by blanching, chilling, and heating will not sprout. The only other ingredient you'll need for sprouting is water. Some experts recommend that you let city water (which may be high in chlorine) sit for a day or two before you use it, in order to let the chlorine dissipate into the air. When sprouting seeds, use lukewarm or room temperature water, rather than cold or hot.

BASIC SPROUTING TECHNIQUES: Sprouting can be done in a jar, on a tray, on a towel, in a clay saucer, or in a thin layer of soil. Each method works best for certain kinds of seeds. Although the basic steps are quite similar from one method to the next, the times and temperatures for sprouting will vary due to temperature and humidity variations in your home. That means you've got to check sprouts frequently. After your first couple of batches, you'll have a good idea how long it takes to produce the flavor you prefer in sprouts. Many sprouters also like to save the water drained from sprouts for use in soups or sauces, or for watering house plants.

I have been trying it, its really delicious and healthy.

Visit http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=How%20to%20sprout%20vegetables for more on this subject.

Eastern Mind
19 January 2010, 07:55 AM
Brahman: What excellent ideas! For the health conscious vegetarian living in the cold northland I call Canada. This is an inexpensive way to be organic. Recently I found time to try my hand at the simple chapati. (My wife and I had tried earlier, unsuccessfully. Sometimes things just don't work out. Then we got very busy raising kids. Now 4 of 5 kids are out of this house.) So anyways, I discovered I could make them. I am experimenting with whole grain varieties, and ratios of different flour amounts. This will add nutrients. Each time I make them, I do a different ratio. So far the most successful was:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white wheat flour
one half cup rye flour
one quarter cup channa dal flour
plenty of garam masala, a bit of salt, and some chili powder for flavour

Once I get a chance to go shopping at a good Indian store and maybe a health food market, I'm going for a 7 grain variety.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
19 January 2010, 09:04 AM
Brahman: What excellent ideas! For the health conscious vegetarian living in the cold northland I call Canada. This is an inexpensive way to be organic. Recently I found time to try my hand at the simple chapati. (My wife and I had tried earlier, unsuccessfully. Sometimes things just don't work out. Then we got very busy raising kids. Now 4 of 5 kids are out of this house.) So anyways, I discovered I could make them. I am experimenting with whole grain varieties, and ratios of different flour amounts. This will add nutrients. Each time I make them, I do a different ratio. So far the most successful was:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white wheat flour
one half cup rye flour

Once I get a chance to go shopping at a good Indian store and maybe a health food market, I'm going for a 7 grain variety.

Aum Namasivaya
For making chapati, i just used plain enriched flour (white) but then switched to whole wheat. The whole wheat was much better, but yours sounds divine.

My sister is vegan, so me becoming vegitarian would not be hard at all. :P

Onkara
19 January 2010, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the suggsetions.

You can sprout all kinds of seeds, legumes, and grains. Try wheat, rye, alfalfa, mung beans, chick peas, soybeans, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, or any of the other sprouting seeds, grains, and vegetables...

One small question, are all the examples e.g. wheat, pumpkin,chick, soybeans seed sprouts, etc, tasty? I have limited myself to watercress and not considered eating them as sprouts before?

brahman
19 January 2010, 11:15 PM

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white wheat flour
one half cup rye flour

Aum Namasivaya

Dear EM, wishing you good health:)

brahman
19 January 2010, 11:18 PM

One small question, are all the examples e.g. wheat, pumpkin,chick, soybeans seed sprouts, etc, tasty? I have limited myself to watercress and not considered eating them as sprouts before?

Dear Snip,
It depends how you like it.

Eastern Mind
20 January 2010, 06:56 AM

Vannakkam Snip: My wife and I found alfalfa sprouts to be the easiest to grow. You can buy quite a few at good organic health food stores to try. There are several on line sites that give instructions. One is simpleliving.net. If not eatn raw, many also work well in simple stir fries.

Aum Namasivaya

Onkara
20 January 2010, 07:04 AM
Vannakkam Snip: My wife and I found alfalfa sprouts to be the easiest to grow. You can buy quite a few at good organic health food stores to try. There are several on line sites that give instructions. One is simpleliving.net. If not eatn raw, many also work well in simple stir fries.

Aum Namasivaya
Thank you Eastern Mind, I haven't tried them, so I will givem them a go :)