PDA

View Full Version : Teach me (very basic) SHiva lingam abhisheka

Sherab
21 January 2010, 06:48 AM
As the title says, please teach me how to do shiva lingam abisheka.

I just need a very simplified version. I do have water, i do have milk, no honey, i do have sugar, etc.

So, i would be able to do the abisheka, and that's about it. Just that part.

Hoefully there is some puja where only that can be done?

thnak you all

PS. It is for maha shivratri.

ravrajsharma
21 January 2010, 02:45 PM
Namaste Sherab,

This is my own personal experience, I know people will be varying opinions on this.

Whenever i go to temples and do ling abhishekam this is what i follow.

Firstly bath lingam with one lota pure water (if some ganga jal can be added then do so).
Secondly with 1 lota milk.
Third and Fourth with pure water.

Saying "Om Namah Shivaye" mantra and offering white flowers and bilva leaves if available (when offered put leaves upside down with all three leaves intact) is beneficial.

During Maha Shivaratri, this is generally what is followed at our places:

First Ling Abhishekam with our water
Then ling abhishekam with each of the 5 panchamrit (milk, sugar,curd,ghee, honey) materials alternatively with pure water. Chandan and kumkuma tilak is subsequently placed on the shivling with these. (Meaning water abhishek then milk abhishek then chandan kumkuma tilak and white flowers then water abhishek then sugar then chandan kumkuma and white flowers then water abhishek, etc).

When these process has finished then a thick haldi paste and vibhuti is used for abhishekam.

Pundits recite special mantras with each of the abhishek mantras [im not knowledgeable enough :-( to say which ones]

The most basic i perform myself is with water and milk.

Namaste

sm78
22 January 2010, 12:29 AM
mahamritujaya mantra is used during abhisheka before commensing puja. apart from this 5 'vedic' mantras for the 5 faces of panchanan shiva needs to be used begining with

'tatpurushaya vidmahe etc ..' - tatpurusha face
'aghorebhyah atha ghorebhya etc ..' - aghora face
'sadyojatam etc ..' - sadyojata face
'vamdevaya namo jyesthaya namah etc ..' - vamdeva face
'ishanah sarvavidyanam etc..' - ishanah face.

You can search out the full text and directions from internet, if available. If not, let me know.

If you are unable to do puja, post abhisheka one can directly proceed to japa - at least that is what I am aware of.

Regards.

Sherab
22 January 2010, 06:55 AM
mahamritujaya mantra is used during abhisheka before commensing puja. apart from this 5 'vedic' mantras for the 5 faces of panchanan shiva needs to be used begining with

'tatpurushaya vidmahe etc ..' - tatpurusha face
'aghorebhyah atha ghorebhya etc ..' - aghora face
'sadyojatam etc ..' - sadyojata face
'vamdevaya namo jyesthaya namah etc ..' - vamdeva face
'ishanah sarvavidyanam etc..' - ishanah face.

You can search out the full text and directions from internet, if available. If not, let me know.

If you are unable to do puja, post abhisheka one can directly proceed to japa - at least that is what I am aware of.

Regards.
Well, I was going to do JUST abhisheka(milk, sugar water, ganges water), and offer flowers to the lingam at the end, after drying off with a white cloth i have made of muslin.

namaste.

Eastern Mind
22 January 2010, 07:28 AM
Vannakkam Sherab:

You will need a tray of sorts. More elaborate home shrines where abhishekham is performed regularly are made of tile or stone, in such a way as never having to lift or move the deity. (deities) I don't know what materials you have so I will proceed as though you don't have traditional materials. You will need a container of water, and a spoon ..(Achamanayam cup, spoon) Before doing any puja it is necessary to clean your hands in front of God. Use the spoon to put some water in your right hand, and then wash them. Then you should take 3 sips from your right hand as well, always using left hand for spoon.

Once you begin abhishekham, always pour with the right, and ring your temple bell with your left. A very simple mantra would be to chant any of the various bhajans of Aum namasivaya. Don't do it like japa, just honour the mantram with bhajan. Do aarti in after each substance. This can be a 3 circles clockwise motion. After that restart the abhishekham, each time with water. Usually the very last is rosewater, but that wouldn't really be necessary. Then you can lift the murthi out of the tray, and put the tray to the side. Don't forget to take some of the abhishekham water as in the same way you originally did at the beginning.

This is about as simple as I can make it. sm78's advice is good, but I doubt yopu could learn that mantram in a short time. Its just so important to put your heart into it. You could also watch some youtube adhishekams of lingams for more ideas. Its a ways away yet, but I hope you enjoy the night.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
22 January 2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks EasternMind :)

I do not have a tray, but i do have a special bowl i haven't really used that may fit the lingam well. I heard that if i sit in the east, the tip of the lingam (yoni) should face the north.

Is this correct?

Anyways, i will have to see what I can do once i get the lingam. It's not very large, just 3" high, and 3" long or so.

Eastern Mind
22 January 2010, 08:04 AM
Sherab: Yes that is correct. The tip of the yoni faces to the worshipper's right. Traditionally, Siva temples face south, (worshipper facing north) but that is not always possible, especially in shrines.

Aum namasivaya

sunyata07
22 January 2010, 10:11 AM
Namaste,

Thanks Sherab for starting this post. I was wondering on some points of abhishekam for shiva lingam and I'm glad I have some of this cleared up, like which way the lingam and the worshipper should face.

My question is what should be done with the offerings of water, milk, honey, etc. once the lingam has been bathed and anointed with kumkum and chandan powder? It this normally taken as prasad? If you are using a bowl/tray to collect the fluids that run off the lingam, how is this disposed of or cleared up later?