PDA

View Full Version : Help me "become" MORE Hindu.

Sherab
23 January 2010, 03:26 PM
Namaste all.

Can you help me "become" more hindu. Things such as music, movies, and so on.

Main concerns are the above, plus language. I've decided to start learning Devanagari (again). Can anyone help with this? Once I know the alphabet, I'd like to learn Hindi proper.

thanks everyone :)

Eastern Mind
23 January 2010, 04:36 PM
Sherab: One of the easiest ways, if at all possible, is to hang out with Hindus. Then it just sort of rubs off. Of course this isn't always possible. But if not in person, at least you can 'hang out' with Hindus here in this on-line community.

Aum Namasivaya

Sherab
23 January 2010, 04:40 PM
Sherab: One of the easiest ways, if at all possible, is to hang out with Hindus. Then it just sort of rubs off. Of course this isn't always possible. But if not in person, at least you can 'hang out' with Hindus here in this on-line community.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste uncle-ji:

I agree 100%. Are there any other ways, or sites you can think of? My search has been somewhat futile.

Onkara
24 January 2010, 03:54 AM
Namaste Shreab
Like you I would be grateful for better understanding of Indian culture, customs and behaviour. I have great respect. My suggestion is to start with Devanagari alpahabet with English pronunciation (or your first language). Omniglot's charts (see link below) fit onto one page (or copy and paste into a word doc) then just take a look every so often, perhaps carry a print off with you on the bus or train and glance at it when you don't feel under pressure. I have been doing that for well over a month, plus trying to read Sanskrit, I have found it works albeit a little challanging in the start but with a little every day you will find that your brain will know it before you think you do :D

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/devanagari.htm

From there move into the combined letters, called conjunct consonants. But don't let that concern you for a few weeks. Just go over the alphabet, don't put more pressure on yourself. Search for learning Hindi online when you feel the urge and go through the online tutorials. Repeat the same things e.g. the first chapter or lessons until you feel you could explain them to a begginer yourself. Then move on, but keep focused on the Devanagari, as that will pay back when you move to advanced books. Patience is required, so when any frustrations airse just do something else and come back to it when your mind is relaxed.

I am actually learning for Sanskrit, but language learning methods are similar in my humble opinion.

For modern film music I recommend:
http://www.dhingana.com/

You can select by language and then just try a song or two from the film. Of course You Tube often has subtitled songs submitted by bilingual users, so you can search for the ones you like there in case. If not then search for lyrics online, I am sure you will find some for the popular films.

The advice of Eastern Mind Ji is valuable as always :) I am not able to mix with Hindi's or speakers of Sanskrit so I keep this as a spiritual goal for now. Understanding Bhagavad Gita is my aim.

As to understanding the pyshcology of Hindus (or people from India) then nothing except submerssion in their culture will do. Start with books, films and forums. I would love to go to India one day.

Have fun!

goodlife
24 January 2010, 05:54 AM
Namaste uncle-ji:

I agree 100%. Are there any other ways, or sites you can think of? My search has been somewhat futile.

Ha Ha having begun with 'Uncle Ji' you're almost 50% Indian. rest will flow too.

I concur with advice given by other members, you got to take it easy. The Indian culture ( individual & societal behaviour) is much different than what you may have experienced so far.

so enjoy surfing the waves till you are at it.

Om Namah Shivay

sambya
24 January 2010, 07:01 AM
if you want to be 'indian' its perhaps better to start with hindi . or tamil bengali etc anything would do .

but if you want to be 'hindu in its true sense i guess its best to sit down to meditate and pray for actual realizations .

Sherab
24 January 2010, 07:17 AM
thanks everyone :)

EDIT: Snip-ji, Namaste. Your advice is great,. my urge is to rush everything. Things that I do slow seem to last. Good advice, and you hit my faults without even knowing it :)

LALKAR
24 January 2010, 11:04 AM
Namaste Sherab,

Nice to meet you