PDA

View Full Version : Christian Inspired me

Tirisilex
26 January 2010, 08:51 PM
I was hanging out with a Christian Woman today and I observed how she loved Jesus.. She would talk to him as if he was right there with us and she wasn't scared to do so. It made me think.. I should do the same for Krishna.. She was inspiring me and she didnt know it.. Thank God.. Could you imagine? "Thank you Julie for helping me get closer to Krishna." Then Julie would say "Oh NO! Ken! Come back to Christ!! I'll pray for your return!!"

Sherab
26 January 2010, 09:01 PM
Yeah, awkward...

just learn from everyone :)

sanjaya
27 January 2010, 01:01 AM
Good to hear. There are several inspirational spiritual truths in Christianity, and often the can be expressed in even the most ardent of fundamentalists.

rcscwc
30 March 2010, 11:10 PM
A learned Brahmin was once instructed in Dharma by a butcher. But he did not become butcher.

jaggin
12 June 2010, 07:59 AM
I was hanging out with a Christian Woman today and I observed how she loved Jesus.. She would talk to him as if he was right there with us and she wasn't scared to do so. It made me think.. I should do the same for Krishna.. She was inspiring me and she didnt know it.. Thank God.. Could you imagine? "Thank you Julie for helping me get closer to Krishna." Then Julie would say "Oh NO! Ken! Come back to Christ!! I'll pray for your return!!"

Hmmmmmmmmmm! So, talking to Krishna does what for you?

I can understand her distress. To be away from Jesus is equivalent to being dead. However it intrigues me that a return is mentioned. I tend to think you were never there.

Sahasranama
12 June 2010, 08:04 AM
Good to hear.

Talk to Krishna, but not in front of a psychiatrist.

BryonMorrigan
28 September 2010, 10:50 AM

That is a direct example of you attempting to ridicule our faith. The hatred and ignorance in your words is astounding.

sanjaya
28 September 2010, 06:17 PM
That is a direct example of you attempting to ridicule our faith. The hatred and ignorance in your words is astounding.

The funny thing is that a Hindu could ask a Christian the very same thing. Likely the Christian would cite all the moral changes that Jesus has made in his life; e.g. how he saved him from drugs, alcohol, extra-martial sex, or whatever. What I find funny about this is that as a born Hindu, I've lived by the same straight-laced rules my entire life, and could attribute the same thing to Sri Krishna, Sri Vishnu, or whatever form of God I like.

Of course the evangelicals would call me "dead," since as Jaggin says, "to be away from Jesus is equivalent to being dead." This gets back to one of my fundamental philosophical problems with evangelical Christianity: the claim is untestable. When you've got Hindus and Christians who make precisely the same moral choices (whether good or bad), how can you attribute someone's moral behavior to their religion (or indwelling of the Holy Spirit, if you must use Christianese)? I've never gotten a straight answer to this.

kallol
28 September 2010, 10:46 PM

I can understand her distress. To be away from Jesus is equivalent to being dead. However it intrigues me that a return is mentioned. I tend to think you were never there.

Dear Jaggin,

Appreciate your presence and concern.

Considering your apparent moderate approach towards your religion, it might be a risky proposition for you to hang around for long in this forum.

There is a chance that you might get drawn into the knowledge pool unknowingly. This will give you severe dilemma and stress in your life, which you can jolly well avoid.

Love and best wishes

Tirisilex
28 September 2010, 10:59 PM

You claim to know my status when you know nothing about me.. Before I was ever a Hindu I was a hardcore Pentacostalist.. I read my Bible and studied it.. I did all that I could to be close to Jesus.. But then I had a period of suffering that pushed me away from Christianity and brought me to the Hindu Faith..
Thats the SHORT version I dont feel like sharing all the details because it would end up as a book..

BryonMorrigan
29 September 2010, 09:37 AM
The funny thing is that a Hindu could ask a Christian the very same thing.

The difference is...none of us are generally so rude as to actually say it out loud, much less go to a Christian forum and say it to them.

But of course, proselytism is always ill-mannered, rude, and condescending. Can you just imagine if all other religions acted in this manner?

Eastern Mind
29 September 2010, 12:28 PM
But of course, proselytism is always ill-mannered, rude, and condescending.

Vannakkam Bryon: Oh, how I wish that were true. In my experience, dangerous proselytism is often just the other way ... subtle, friendly, and sneaky. Build a church, a hospital, a school, invite the people, feed them, provide medicine with a bible thrown in. Show them how nice you are. Adopt some of the lifestyle, like food, clothing, music and architecture. "You capture more flies with honey than with vinegar." Use a bit of knowledge of Hinduism to demonstrate how friendly you are, and soon there is a Christ or Mary on the Hindu home shrine, and eventually, through weakening them, we shall conquer. Jaggin is not at all scary that way. It's the sneaky manipulative types that we really have to watch out for. In India this is the way proselytism is done. Under the guise of 'charity' for the most part.

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
29 September 2010, 12:32 PM
3 part video:
Christian Missionary attack on India

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Zxjndf0mw

Christianity ruins families in India:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8xx37Z-wjM&feature=related

sanjaya
29 September 2010, 01:05 PM
You claim to know my status when you know nothing about me.. Before I was ever a Hindu I was a hardcore Pentacostalist.. I read my Bible and studied it.. I did all that I could to be close to Jesus.. But then I had a period of suffering that pushed me away from Christianity and brought me to the Hindu Faith..
Thats the SHORT version I dont feel like sharing all the details because it would end up as a book..

Just an FYI, I think I know why Jaggin says what he did. In the Bible there is this teaching that anyone who is saved at some point in his life will be saved forever. Basically God doesn't take away your salvation after giving it to you. Of course there are people like yourself, who were once Christian but now are part of another religion, and the evangelicals don't want to believe that someone who rejects the faith can be saved. So they've got another doctrine stating that anyone who rejects the faith never "really" believed it in the first place. It's a bit more complicated, but that's the upshot of it.

Vannakkam Bryon: Oh, how I wish that were true. In my experience, dangerous proselytism is often just the other way ... subtle, friendly, and sneaky. Build a church, a hospital, a school, invite the people, feed them, provide medicine with a bible thrown in. Show them how nice you are. Adopt some of the lifestyle, like food, clothing, music and architecture. "You capture more flies with honey than with vinegar." Use a bit of knowledge of Hinduism to demonstrate how friendly you are, and soon there is a Christ or Mary on the Hindu home shrine, and eventually, through weakening them, we shall conquer. Jaggin is not at all scary that way. It's the sneaky manipulative types that we really have to watch out for. In India this is the way proselytism is done. Under the guise of 'charity' for the most part.

Aum Namasivaya

Yes, this is a very good point. The hellfire and brimstone preachers are, if nothing else, brutally honest. You know where they stand, and they make no secret about their intentions to convert you. It's the missionaries we need to be more careful about. They run around in saffron robes to show how tolerant they are of Indian culture, and ultimately seek to convert and Westernize Hindus. These people prey upon the financially and spiritually weak, and are far more dangerous.

I'm not really sure where Jaggin lies, since he equivocates so frequently in his posts. I wish he'd just tell us directly what he believes.

BryonMorrigan
29 September 2010, 02:25 PM

I didn't mean that the manner in which they conduct themselves is always "ill-mannered, rude, and condescending;" I meant that the concept of proselytism is always based on such a lack of common decency.

Like I said though...can you imagine the way that Christians would react if other faiths acted similarly? Wiccans secretly pretending to be Christians so they could convert their children? Muslims knocking on their doors and trying to frighten them into attending a mosque?

In America, at least...such activity would likely lead to bloodshed, and the violence would not be coming from the non-Christians.

Eastern Mind
29 September 2010, 02:42 PM
Vannakkam Bryon: Fair enough. I agree the concept is egotisticalm, condescending, and fundamentalist. Long as 90% of us stand up and close the doors.

Aum Namasivaya

Sahasranama
29 September 2010, 04:05 PM
We can learn from Chrisianity, we learn from their mistakes.