PDA

View Full Version : lagna + īśa

yajvan
02 February 2010, 09:21 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~~

namasté

lagna or lagnam - is defined as attached to ; that is, the rising sign at the moment of birth is attached to the horizon, attached to the native;
from lag लग् - cling or attach one's self ; to meet , come in contact ; to take affect on + nam नम् to bow to , subject or submit , one's self.
We know lagna is also called the ascendant.

What is interesting to note is the lagna lord. This is called lagna + īśa; lagna we defined above + īśa is owner, lord, ruler. When this is combined we have lagna + īśa = lagneśa ( by the rules of saṃdhi¹). Some jyotiṣa's also use the terms lagneśvara , or lagapati, some laganpa. I prefer lagneśa myself.

Consider this comparison. The lagna informs us of one's physical attributes , the body. The lagneśa is more of the intelligence, or the application of the intellect applied. Lagna is body, lagneśa is the intellect applied.

Visti Larsen , a śiṣya of Sanjay Rath¹, uses the following analogy: the lagna can be compared to a body moving down a street. It ( the body) can see others, objects, groceries, people, animals, etc. It ( the body) is separate from them, without interaction. When this body engages with others, with the environment, the lagneśa is now engaged, the intellect engages and interacts.

Where this lagneśa resides in one's chart is important and revealing to know. This location is called the pāka lagna. This word pāka is revealing and directs us to the understanding of this location. Pāka is defined as maturity , full development , completion ; it also means ripening. It informs us where the individual ripens, where the expression of the individual is shown via the quality of the house that it resides in.

Hence one must look to the pāka lagna, the lagneśa and the lagna to better understand the individual being reflected in a birth chart.

Yet what is interesting about this lagneśa placement is the śakti that is taken from that house; this has eluded me for some time until just recently where I came across this information. I will share that in the next post.

praṇām

words

saṃdhi - containing a conjunction or transition from one to the other ; these are pāṇini's grammar rules.
Sanjay Rath is one of the modern day luminaries (IMHO) of jyotiṣ; His paramparā is that of śṛi acyuta dās.

yajvan
04 February 2010, 10:05 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~~

namasté

Yet what is interesting about this lagneśa placement is the śakti that is taken from that house; this has eluded me for some time until just recently where I came across this information. I will share that in the next post.

I mention that energy (śakti) Is taken from the pāka lagna and it is given to the ascendent or lagna. This is accomplished via the lagneśa's association and ownership of the ascendant.

How is this actually done? The mechanics or physics behind this ? Like many things in jyotiṣ, I cannot explain the dynamic, yet the principle of this makes sense to me. One may look to an example.

Let say a banyan seed is carried by a bird and it drops out of the bird's mouth and falls to earth.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41GXJxFT6TL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This seed is now placed in the soil. It finds its home there and is nurtured, it ripens, grows, matures ( recall this is one definition of
pāka given in post 1 above). It ( the banyan seed) like the other plants on the ground co-exist in the soil , taking its energy from there. Yet over time, what occurs? The banyan grows getting bigger and bigger. It takes all the sun and requires more water and nutrients from the soil. What happens to the other plants that co-existed with the banyan when it was a seedling? That energy now goes to this banyan alone - the other plants are limited in their ability to grow and flourish.

Like that, the lagna ( ascendant) Is nourished by the transfer of energy via the lagneśa in the house that it resides in.

Hence the lagna prospers , as does some other houses via yoga's ( combinations) and a few other houses too.

I find this extremely interesting as how some of these dynamics work as they begin to reveal some of the subtleties that reside within this jyotiṣ knowledge.

praṇām

smaranam
07 February 2010, 08:13 PM
PraNAm Yajvanji

It is interesting how Jyotish explains the jiva's birth and environment as factors. Looks quite scientific, as you have explained it.