PDA

View Full Version : Interest in learning classical advaita

smaranam
03 February 2010, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by satay

namaskar,

Here is my 2 cents.

I am interested in learning classical advaita and have been trying personally for a couple of years now. I feel that there is a gap between teachings of contemporary gurus and sri shankaracarya's compilation of advaitic world view.

NamaskAr Satayji

Personally , I think we should not just tie Advaita VedAnta to Shankaracharya although he was its biggest and most famous preacher/propounder. Yet , it is true that at least in today's environment,
understanding VedAnta has to happen only by adherence to one school of thought , at least at first.

I think there are people here who are straight from Adi Shankaracharya's disciplic succession, from one of the several Mutthas he established. They have been very patient with many querries and counter-querries.

I think, the problem could be the format , tools and means we are using - i.e. forums.
What you probably need is personal guidance. While one may contact or find their guide here, there could be others.

If your life situation or geographical distance does not allow you to go to a Guru personally, here is one acharya , a disciple of Swami ChinmayAnanda who , as many know, is from Shringeri Matth. So at least the line or sAmpradAya cannot be classified as anything but 'classical Advaita'.
Why and How ? Because they say they only accept Veda pramANas from shruti and smrti , and not personal experiences (although I think personal experiences can be a big help).

Acharya SadAnandaji's WebSite - (will keep one busy)
http://www.advaitaforum.org/

He could be fairly busy, but you can e-mail him - the contact button on the home page.

Radhe Radhe

satay
03 February 2010, 08:12 PM
namaskar smaranam,
Thank you. You are too kind with me. :)

smaranam
04 February 2010, 10:44 AM
Namaste

WebSite on Adi Shankaracharya
http://www.sankaracharya.org

All Works by Shankaracharya

Spiritual Library