PDA

View Full Version : If Hanuman dies...

Big_Raju
29 August 2006, 03:38 PM
At one point in the Ramayana, Indrajit (Ravana's eldest son) launched a massive attack against a section of Rama's army, causing massive slaughter. When Jambhavan (the commander) arrived at the scene to survey the damage, the first thing he said was, "Is Hanuman alive?"

Continued @ http://www.hinduvoice.co.uk/Issues/5/Hanuman.htm

Sudarshan
02 September 2006, 12:30 PM
Hanuman is still alive!! He must be accessible to those who call him..:)

Shriyash21
06 September 2006, 07:18 AM
Jai Shri hanuman!!http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c243/vladmir21/hanuman4.jpg

saidevo
14 September 2006, 08:22 AM
"A group of people went to Manas-sarovar for a piligrimage trip. One of the person there is a Upasaka of Hanuman. He was exploring some caves and accidentally bounced upon a being looking like Lord Hanuman. All of them had cameras and this person happend to click the camera and died there for reasons not known. The other persons fished him out and the camera and here is the picture the camera showed. I do not know how much it is true but many people are believing it. It is a fact that Hanuman does exist in flesh and blood because he is a Chiranjeevi."

Source: http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Facility/4014/SK21.html

I heard about this story sometime in the year 1999. It was also said that the person in a studio who tried to develop the film lost his eyes. Thereafter, it was said, the film roll was placed in the sannidhanam of Kanchi Paramacharya for a fortnight, after which the picture seen in the link was successfully brought out.

Some people dismiss the story as an urban legend and say that the photograph was developed from a portrait, but I haven't come across any such portrait of Hanuman before. I don't choose to believe or disbelieve the story except that I believe that Hanuman as a chiranjivi will ever be alive until the mahapralaya.

I also read somewhere that at the end of the current Brahma's life, Hanuman will take over as the next Brahma. Anyone heard or come across such an info?

Sudarshan
07 January 2007, 12:46 AM
It is highly unlikely that Hanuman can be photographed. Hanuman's body is not made of panca bhUtas which means he is not perceptible by any means (barring his own wish to come down for your sake) in the world of avidya. That should rule out equipments like cameras being able to catch him.

It is mentioned in Uttara kANDa that Hanuman will be next Brahma through the wish of Rama. Since Hindus do not typically worship Brahma, does that mean the present day Hanuman will not be worshipped in next kalpa, or the rules will be different then? I wonder...:)

sm78
07 January 2007, 03:33 AM
Since Hindus do not typically worship Brahma, does that mean the present day Hanuman will not be worshipped in next kalpa, or the rules will be different then? I wonder...:)

With so many things and events to wonder about in our own small life span, its best not to wonder about the next kalpa.;)

I personally don't accept or deny miracles. But I liked the picture in the site

Shakti
08 January 2007, 09:05 AM
Hanuman was blessed to remain on earth and be protector over it. He is very much alive because I can feel him in my heart. When the murtis were drinking milk, I fed milk to my Aaji's Hanuman murti. I looove the Hanuman Chaleesa as sung by Krishna Das. Y'all please try to get that one, it is so beautiful. I consider Hanumanji to be my big brother, he is always around to protect me and cheer me up. JAI SHREE HANUMAN!!!

Agnideva
08 January 2007, 09:20 AM
Hanuman was blessed to remain on earth and be protector over it. ... JAI SHREE HANUMAN!!!

jai hanumAn gyAn gun sAgar
jai kapeesa tihun lok ujAgar

Welcome Shakti. I love the Hanuman Chaleesa also. Yes, Hanuman is one of the seven immortals, He is forever here for us.

Regards,
A.

Shakti
08 January 2007, 09:25 AM
jai hanumAn gyAn gun sAgar
jai kapeesa tihun lok ujAgar

Welcome Shakti. I love the Hanuman Chaleesa also. Yes, Hanuman is one of the seven immortals, He is forever here for us.

Regards,
A.

Thanks for welcoming me. All this talk about Hanuman is making me feel to listen to the Chaleesa. I'm going to put it on now. Try to get the one sung by Krishna Das. Wow!

Sudarshan
08 January 2007, 11:43 AM
Hanuman was blessed to remain on earth and be protector over it. He is very much alive because I can feel him in my heart. When the murtis were drinking milk, I fed milk to my Aaji's Hanuman murti. I looove the Hanuman Chaleesa as sung by Krishna Das. Y'all please try to get that one, it is so beautiful. I consider Hanumanji to be my big brother, he is always around to protect me and cheer me up. JAI SHREE HANUMAN!!!

Haha, the story goes that Hanuman refused to accompany Sri Ramachandra to moksha because he wanted to hear the glories of Rama on earth. Is it a valid choice for some one to refuse to go with Rama? The reason is mysterious.

Neveretheless, the earth is blessed with the private secretary of Rama still remaining with us, and looking after the welfare of people , and also showing the way to reach his Lord.

saidevo
11 January 2007, 08:11 AM
Besides Hanuman, the other six Chiranjeevis are:
Parasurama, Markandeya, Mahabali, Vyasa, Asvatama, Vibhishana.

I came across this spiritual tidbit in a Tamil monthly called Gnana Alayam in its issue dated Aug. 1999 (page 53).

Sudarshan
11 January 2007, 08:34 AM
aSvattAmA balirvyAsaH hanumAnScha viBhIShaNaH kripa paraSurAmaScha saptaive chiranjIvinaH - is the one given in Mahabaratha.

Perhaps there are eight, including mArkaNdeya.

Sudarshan
14 January 2007, 08:57 AM
http://www.dlshq.org/download/hindufestimg/hanuman.jpg

http://www.saigan.com/heritage/gods/godimages/anjan5b.jpg

Is there any significance to him having monkey-like qualities?

:D

Those who have seen him ( assuming these stories are real) say that he is as naughty as a monkey externally - like jumping, hugging, twitching the ears, making faces, shouting and so on. I bet the real qualities are not monkey like. The next Brahma will have to be more dignified in reality. ;)

I guess the monkey form has some significance. It is mentioned in Ramayana, he is monkey only in name, because he can take any form at will. When Hanuman sees Mandodari and mistakens her for Sita, he is overjoyed and behaves exactly like a monkey.

Ramayana 5.10.54 - "He clasped his arms, kissed his tail , he was delighted, he was playful, sang, paced showing his monkey nature, climbed pillars and fell down on land."

Agnideva
14 January 2007, 10:13 AM
Is there any significance to him having monkey-like qualities?
Namaste MG,

Again this goes back to the previous thread. To me, the monkey-like quality represents lower nature. When children run around and create commotion, we tell them - stop acting like a monkey and sit still. Hanuman is an apparant contradiction. On the one hand, He is a monkey who is unable to sit still. On the other, He has mastered His higher nature. He is always engaged in devotion, dhyana (meditation/contemplation), japa (chanting), reading holy texts, etc. He is the epitome of inner and outer strength, He is fierce yet benevolent. In Hindu belief, Hanuman is one of the immortals. He lives in this world amongst us. He is always here guiding us, giving us strength, giving us resolve. We look to Hanuman for spiritual guidance and strength.

Jai Hanuman,
A.

http://www.hanuman.com/6meditation.jpg

http://www.visi.com/%7Ereuteler/images/hanuman.jpg

TruthSeeker
14 January 2007, 10:48 AM
The equivalent for monkey in sanskrit is vAnaraH. ( or kapiH)

Note that these vAnarAs are mentioned to be dwelling in the forests (vanaM)

vanaM is a highly technical term used in our itihAsAs, and has many
meanings - forest, the vedas, beg, meditation and so on.

vAnaraH can be derived from vanaM:

vanaM rAti vanaraH { one who procures meditation}
vanaraH tasya idam vAnaraH

Thus vAnaraH means "one who assists in meditation" ( and spiritual growth} which will fit Hanuman very well. This has been well concealed in his monkey (vAnaraH) form.

saidevo
14 January 2007, 07:46 PM
There is something more to the form of Hanuman, who is an incarnation of Lord Shiva. For all the services Vishnu rendered to Shiva (such as being used as an arrow (sara) when Shiva burnt Tripura), Shiva was waiting for an opportunity to serve Vishnu. When the time of Ramavataram came, Shiva took birth as Hanuman to serve his master Rama. Shiva and Vishnu being the mighty Gods of the Trinity, the can reside in their own form at Kailash and Vaikuntam for ever besides being in the forms of Hanuman and Rama.

But why take a monkey's form to serve Rama? The monkey is considered to be the most frivolous and naughty animal as against the elephant which is solid in mind and body. Human mind is aptly compared to a monkey as it jumps from thought to thought. Lord Shiva, by using the form of a monkey has showed the way to control the mind, that is the monkey within us. Shiva also fitted his son Ganesh with the elephant's head to honour the Gajaraja. These two instances are also illustrative of the Advaitic principle that God does reside in all forms (also compare the form of the seemingly inanimate mountain Tiruvannamalai that is considered to be the form of Lord Shiva himself).

Agnideva
15 January 2007, 11:08 AM
Namaste Saidevo,

There is something more to the form of Hanuman, who is an incarnation of Lord Shiva.
This is often said, but is not a uniform belief. I believe this has been discussed in this forum before too. Many times those whose stories say they were born of the grace of Shiva, i.e. Hanuman, Adi Shankararacharya, and Sage Markandeya are referred to as incarnations of Shiva in popular understanding. Technically, Shaivism does not accept anyone as an incarnation of Shiva (although in Advaita Vedanta one can and does). Yet, from another angle, every being is an “incarnation” of Shiva, and those who have fully realized Shiva within can be especially labeled as such. Great Shaivite masters like Lakulisha Acharya, Matsyendranath, and Gorakshanath are often referred to as incarnations from this perspective.

As for Hanuman, aka Maruti, the son of Vayu (Mukhya Prana) and Anjana, He is the personification of all the Maruts. The Maruts are sons of Rudra. So, in Shaivism, He may be seen as a Mahadeva, alongside Ganesha and Murugan, a son of Shiva. Although it may not be found in any text, in Shaivism, Hanuman is seen as an ideal Shiva Bhakta! :D.

http://www.shaivam.org/gallery/image/shiva/hanuman_puja.jpg

In Shaktism, especially Punjabi representations, Hanuman is also a bhakta of Shakti. He is flag-bearer for Durga. He is the constant companion of Shakti along with Bhairon.

http://personal.carthage.edu/jlochtefeld/picturepages/deities/ambaji.jpg

In Vaishnavism, Hanuman is obviously the ideal devotee of Ramachandra. Madhva Vaishnavism has a special doctrine about Vayu. Vayu incarnated as Hanuman to serve Ramachandra, Bhimasena to serve Krishna, and Madhvacharya to serve Vyasadeva.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/Madhvacharya_avatars.jpg

Everybody loves Hanuman! :)

aum ham hanumate rudrAtmakAya hum phat svAhA. (Hanuman Mantra)

Shakti
15 January 2007, 12:15 PM
The equivalent for monkey in sanskrit is vAnaraH. ( or kapiH)

Note that these vAnarAs are mentioned to be dwelling in the forests (vanaM)

vanaM is a highly technical term used in our itihAsAs, and has many
meanings - forest, the vedas, beg, meditation and so on.

vAnaraH can be derived from vanaM:

vanaM rAti vanaraH { one who procures meditation}
vanaraH tasya idam vAnaraH

Thus vAnaraH means "one who assists in meditation" ( and spiritual growth} which will fit Hanuman very well. This has been well concealed in his monkey (vAnaraH) form.

That's lovely. I even heard that he belonged to a tribe of people who had large jaws which made them RESEMBLE monkeys.

Arvind Sivaraman
24 April 2007, 04:14 AM
At one point in the Ramayana, Indrajit (Ravana's eldest son) launched a massive attack against a section of Rama's army, causing massive slaughter. When Jambhavan (the commander) arrived at the scene to survey the damage, the first thing he said was, "Is Hanuman alive?"

Continued @ http://www.hinduvoice.co.uk/Issues/5/Hanuman.htm

Om Shirdi Sai Ram.
Namaste Big Raju.
There is sloka(Verse)in Sanskrit.
"Aanjaneya mathi paatalananam Kanchanathi Kamaniya Vigraham
Paarijaatha Tharumula Vaasinam Bhaavayami Pavamaanandanam".

Paarijaatha is a flower.Wherever this tree is present,Lord Hanuman resides under that tree.