PDA

View Full Version : Bhagavad Written?

Tirisilex
05 February 2010, 09:33 PM
I know I've posted about this before.. But I'm hoping maybe new people will read this.. For the past 2 days I have been looking for evidence of when the BG was written.. I found one source saying 3000 BC.. another 1000 BC.. another saying 500, 300, 200 BC and 100 AD to 200 AD.. I'm reading that Indians found Jesus's Teachings and wrote their own version.. This cant be true.. I'm having a major brain cramp over this and it's really important to me.

Tirisilex
05 February 2010, 09:52 PM
There must be a museum or something that holds the oldest Bhagavad Gita Manuscript.. I mean they were able to track down Buddhist Scripture to 500 BC. They should be able to get the Gita.. And to think that the teachings were inluenced by Christianity doesnt seem very accurate to me because there were teachings similar to it during the 500 BC time table.. You had Buddha, Jainism, even Confuscios they all preached what was Holy and what was not. If anything I would think that Jesus's teachings were a mix of Eastern Religions and Judaism.. But he held on his Judaic beliefs till his death..

dhruva023
05 February 2010, 11:52 PM
I'm reading that Indians found Jesus's Teachings and wrote their own version.. This cant be true..

Where are you reading this?

Tirisilex
06 February 2010, 12:22 AM
http://www.appiusforum.com/gita.html

dhruva023
06 February 2010, 11:10 AM
The writer is a christian missionary, what else would you expect from him. He has given no evidence of what he is telling.

smaranam
06 February 2010, 04:41 PM
Namaste

The Vedic Foundation
http://www.thevedicfoundation.org/bhartiya_history/mahabharat.htm

Bharat History
http://www.thevedicfoundation.org/bhartiya_history/chronology.htm

***EDIT***

The Mahabharat Chronology
By Dr.K.N.S. Patnaik
http://www.hindunet.org/hindu_history/ancient/mahabharat/mahab_patnaik.html

Links to Mahabharat
http://www.hindunet.org/hindu_history/ancient/mahabharat/mahab_link.html

kd gupta
07 February 2010, 12:19 AM
I know I've posted about this before.. But I'm hoping maybe new people will read this.. For the past 2 days I have been looking for evidence of when the BG was written.. I found one source saying 3000 BC.. another 1000 BC.. another saying 500, 300, 200 BC and 100 AD to 200 AD.. I'm reading that Indians found Jesus's Teachings and wrote their own version.. This cant be true.. I'm having a major brain cramp over this and it's really important to me.
Shrimadbhagwadgita is a Smriti , means it is as per rememberance of Rishis . It is not wise to store a can of water where Ocean is there in surroundings . Also gita is derived from Shruti , so are the scriptures or teachings you mentioned been derived from Shruti ?;)

Tirisilex
07 February 2010, 12:25 AM
I do not understand what you are saying here..

smaranam
07 February 2010, 02:28 PM
Namaste members

From my post above (# 6) , I have removed the first hyperlink in the list , as it was the only one varying.

Added the new link to Mahabharat Chronology which I was looking for and could not find yesterday (scroll down to Events - although the info on Vedic Lunar Calendar cannot be missed).

The dating of the commencement of Mahabharat War , and hence the Bhagvad Gita (that BhagvAn sang the day before) is consistently3139 BC from most sources, where scientific and astrological information is presented.

Jai Sri KRshna

saidevo
07 February 2010, 08:28 PM
namaste.

As to the MahAbhArata research and dating, check the links I have collected here:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=4544&page=2

mukunda20
08 February 2010, 06:21 AM
Namaste Tirisilex and others,
First of all thanks to those who have provided the informative links.
I would like to comment on the baseless allegations made by this person in the site
http://appiusforum.net/gita.html
1:"The avatar concept (God coming into the world in the form of a man) in Vaishnavism is the influence of Christianity. The various avatars are later additions. For example, the various versions of the Ramayana identify Rama with Vishnu as another incarnation. "
This idiot seems to defy the very fundamentals of Christianity which states that man lives only one life and goes to eternal hell\heaven in the after life, and in the contrary throughout the Gita Sri Krishna states that a life(janma) is just one in the entire cycle of Samsara until the goal is reached(mukti). i wonder who can see the influence of christianity anywhere.

"However, this is not so in its oldest form written by Valmiki. The next version was Kambar’s Ramayana in Tamil where Rama is made an incarnation. After this other versions in various languages were written with Rama as an incarnation."

Wow, I wonder if he\she is the only one possessing the "oldest form", . I can see another miracle as to why the only" oldest form of Ramayana" landed in this person's hands(for spreading Christianity of course).
"The phenomenon of 'Krsnajanmastame' in which the child Krishna is represented as a suckling at the mother's breast."
Krishna Janma ashtami means the eighth day (of the cycle) when Sri Krishna was born. it is an event and as soon as Krishna is born, he is sent to Gokula where Yashoda raises him, not Devaki(one who gave birth to him). so i dont see anything where child Krishna is represented as suckling at the mother's breast.
"Nanda, the foster-father of Krishna had gone to Mathura to pay his taxes (just as Joseph had gone to Bethlehem for census)."
Nanda was the one who recieved Krishna from Vasudeva, Yashoda didn't know a thing about Krishna not being her son.
"Krishna was born in a cow-shed (Gokula exactly as Jesus was born in a manger);"
this is Stupidity at its peak. Krishna was born in Jail where Kamsa had kept Devaki and Vasudeva, not in cow-shed nor any horse stable.(unless of course some Christians added cows and some hay in the jail of Kamsa) and since there was no one called as christians at that time, i think the chances of cows and hay being present in the jail is not much
" massacre of infants of Mathura by Kamsa (just as was the massacre of infants by Herod);"
This only means that Krishna( by chronology) is the first one to have gone through these incidents, so the former becomes the original by logic(which is totally absent in this person's article). so the sentence should be
"just as was the massacre of infants of Mathura by Kamsa , was the massacre of infants by Herod);"

I could comment more on this person's public display of foolishness, but for people who see things with logic, I am sure they would have found out by now how is person is trying to have logical fallacy in the article.
Please correct me if wrong,
Best Regards,
mukunda

rcscwc
22 June 2010, 05:38 AM
http://www.appiusforum.com/gita.html
Haha. A missionary writing.

Vaishnava
06 September 2010, 10:58 AM
The other members have well answered the question.

It was a top priority in the list of Christian missionaries to classify our puranas as fiction and recent. Because that will demoralize Indians from the root. Not only Christians but Buddhists also tried it. They say that all our major shrines were buddhist shrines before and that Gita has been modelled on Buddha's teachings etc etc.

Our great swamis like Swami Vivekananda have also gone to the west and proclaimed that Krishna was probably a king and all stories were built around him. Vegetarianism was borrowed from Buddhism etc etc.

Read those articles from Dr Vartak and so on and get convinced. I too was in a crisis like you are and now I have well recovered thanks the wonderful works out there. Gita is recorded in Mahabharata and since it were smritis, it was transmitted mouth to mouth.

However it is self proven. It is replete with astronomical references. No author will dare to fill it with so much details of eclipses, position of stars during war, accurate timings as to yuga span, details dynasties of kings going through kali yug like Nanda dynasties etc. , if he were to write a fiction. Besided Jainas tried to malign Krishna as well and as a result we have inscriptions in Jain temples that date way back, pointing in our favor LOL

kallol
07 September 2010, 02:22 AM
Words came first and then the scripts. And as it has been said again and again the sanatana knowledge has been moving from generation to generations through smriti & sravanam - that is word of mouth.

The scripts came long after and even we are unable to confidently unlock the Indus Valley scripts.

However with the advent of the languages somewhere around 3000 BC, the word of mouth was put in scripts. And as per the sayings only a fraction of the original knowledge is there today. There were supoosed to be 1000s of upanishad by mostly lost and only the few important / popular ones are there. Ofcourse the non popular ones might have been more abstract or more mudane.

One thing I can assure is that Indian history though limited by political design to Indus valley Civilization but the latest finding at Gulf of Cambay in Gujrat of subsea cities shows that those can be of 12000 BC and they also have Harappa like features.

India is still to explore the peninsular part in the subsea area which might be a treasure trove. By Milne's chart of inundation we know that Indian coastline was much into the sea.

So the exact date of origin of the knowledge will be difficult to identify as the the knowledge is developed over period and contributed by lot and lots of people. No where in the scripture it mentions of any specific name who started and contributed the whole knowledge.

This gives an idea that knowledge was more valued than the name or the person.

Love and best wishes