PDA

View Full Version : Why less No. Of members in Hindu forums ??

Pawan Dande
08 February 2010, 06:20 AM
Namaste to all
I am new to the forum.
As I Earlier browsed through the net to found that other religious forum
like islamic & christan forum have very large no. of members & users as compared to hindu forums

Infact there are large no of hindus on the net

My question is what are reasons that they are not attracted to hindu forum ?

many hindus are seen on the other religious forum tend to get bias opinion about their religion on that forum. That is why many hindu get attracted to this religion or hate their own religion.

satay
08 February 2010, 10:01 AM
namaste pawan,

If your question is based on the number of members on HDF, I can tell you a couple of reasons why the membership number is lower than compared to other forums.

One of the reasons is that no automated registrations are allowed on HDF. A large number of forums allow robots to self register as real members. These robotic accounts are then used by spammers to spam the members or attack the forum. HDF has taken measures to not allow robots to register.

Secondly, among the members that post, a few get banned for breaking the forum rules. HDF has strict rules about posting. This is done in an effort to keep the quality of posts high.

A few years ago some of the senior members decided that we are not interested in large number of members, or large number of posts. We are interested in quality posts even if they are coming from ten members.

I don't think this addressed your general question but...

Thanks,

Eastern Mind
08 February 2010, 10:47 AM
Pawan: There are a few other reasons too, I think.

1) A lot of Hindus don't see the point of discussing things as they are too busy practising the religion. Their focus may be more on bhakti or meditation practises, or even earning a living.
2) Many Hindus may not have access to computers
3) This is a very diverse group, and one will encounter such diverse opinions so they may come for awhile, and then choose to stay away because they want to stick with their own version of Hinduism.
4) Discussion can, and often does lead to argument. Most Hindus by nature., don't like to argue.

BTW, Welcome to HDF.

Aum Namasivaya

Mohini Shakti Devi
08 February 2010, 12:12 PM
Hindus are very tolerant so, brutish qualities cause people of refinement to re-coil and shy away.

Originally Posted by satay
We are not attacking the alien religion, we are showing how stupid, illogical and nonsensical idea it is to think that ‘god suffers’.

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=39262&postcount=52

sanjaya
08 February 2010, 02:29 PM
4) Discussion can, and often does lead to argument. Most Hindus by nature., don't like to argue.

I imagine this is the big one. Internet forums, by their very nature, breed argument. Most Hindus are very interested in discussing religion, but not so much in debate. That might be why there's such a small Hindu presence online.

Eastern Mind
08 February 2010, 02:36 PM
Sanjaya: You are one of the few still willing to engage a Christian in discussion, for example. I learned a long time ago to walk away. The difference between you and me, is essentially that you actually know something about Xianity, whilst I know very little. Like I've said, its admirable in you.

Aum Namasivaya

sambya
08 February 2010, 02:53 PM
as regards to hindus not wanting to debate i have a different perspective .

i cant speak about the masses but at least the hindu pandits and brahminical class loved debates . debates between two sampradayas , two philosophies etc were mere commonplace incidents of bygone days .

infact one of the uses of shastras were to 'disprove the opponent' ( as opinined by the shastra-kaars themselves in shastras) !!!

but i wonder where this spirit has gone now !

satay
08 February 2010, 02:58 PM
namaskar,

Not sure what you mean by brutish qualities.

Could you please elborate? Who has brutish qualities, who is re-coiling, who is shying away?

Hindus are very tolerant so, brutish qualities cause people of refinement to re-coil and shy away.

Originally Posted by satay
We are not attacking the alien religion, we are showing how stupid, illogical and nonsensical idea it is to think that ‘god suffers’.

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=39262&postcount=52

sanjaya
09 February 2010, 01:06 AM
Sanjaya: You are one of the few still willing to engage a Christian in discussion, for example. I learned a long time ago to walk away. The difference between you and me, is essentially that you actually know something about Xianity, whilst I know very little. Like I've said, its admirable in you.

Why thank you EM, that is very kind of you to say. Especially from one as knowledgable as yourself.

Sometimes I worry that I have too much of an appetite for debate, and perhaps my time would be better spent in worship of God. However, we would be fooling ourselves if we denied that Christianity poses a threat to our culture. And I believe that a true Hindu fights his battles with the pen rather than the sword. If anything I say convinces Hindus to not become Christians, then I consider my time well-spent.

akshara
09 February 2010, 04:09 AM
Think of a road side eatery. How did it begin? Was it ready in all respects to woo the hungry ones?

People came - the ones who couldn’t resist the irresistible sight of their favorite food, others who had been waiting on account of health concerns, many waiting to buy a parcel, and few others to sip a cup of tea and discuss current issues.

It grew as time evolved. And everything gets in order - tables, new recipes, cooks…

It is all about a destination – your temptation to satisfy hunger.

Forums like HDF too are all about a destination. The temptation to satisfy the inner call in you.

There are ones frequenting it, others who wait to get introduced, so many strengthening themselves without revealing their presence, and yet many others who prepare recipes, cook and serve for us…

Under the canopy of spirituality, HDF discusses the Scriptures, Philosophy, meditation, cultural expressions, artistic sophistications, ritualistic practices, tradition, science, etc.

But, like a self-service restaurant, we need to grow by ourselves.

Ours is a saga of extraordinary diffusion of values and attitudes, a saga that is vast.

Each learning of that saga, each understanding of that saga makes you identify the ignorance in you, which leads you to greater realms of knowledge, the Ultimate knowledge.

With the frenzied imagination of a copy writer, you can’t attempt to just scribble and discard your thoughts on philosophy as paper balls, and then scribble again.

To learn, remain and grow in that, we need PATIENCE

And those are few. Let those few give themselves time to evolve.

Pawan Dande
09 February 2010, 06:06 AM
One of the reasons is that no automated registrations are allowed on HDF. A large number of forums allow robots to self register as real members. These robotic accounts are then used by spammers to spam the members or attack the forum. HDF has taken measures to not allow robots to register.

---I think robotic accounts presence in popular religious forum of Islam/ Christan is incorrect as registration process is same as HDF. One can test practically through registration process as they are also reputed sites.

Secondly, among the members that post, a few get banned for breaking the forum rules. HDF has strict rules about posting. This is done in an effort to keep the quality of posts high.

--- One can also check it out this forums, where rules & regulations are as strict as HDF. I agree on quality of HDF, but seeing the amount of members & users which is in lakhs, quality will differ. Also there are wide range of topics & issues which are addressed by religious expert.

A few years ago some of the senior members decided that we are not interested in large number of members, or large number of posts. We are interested in quality posts even if they are coming from ten members.

----I agree on quality, but quantity also matter as it serves the purpose of spreading awareness & knowledge to as many ppl regarding oldest religion of the world. We need to educate large section of our religion which is under attack from all sides.

I don't think this addressed your general question but...

Thanks,[/QUOTE]

saidevo
09 February 2010, 07:10 AM
namaste everyone.

Another reality which is curiously general as well as specific is that the common Hindu is complacent with the pujas and worship at home and does not seek to enhance his knowledge further.

The Hindu household women of Tamilnadu, who have the devotional bent are these days flooded with scores of spiritual magazines that answer their needs.

The Hindu intellectual, bureaucrat, businessman and politician are too busy in their worldly life to think about religion except in a way that could further their interests.

The Hindu youth are practically followers of the Western culture, and they simply don't care about their religion, except in rare cases. I am really happy that we have a good number of young people here in HDF with sound knowledge in Hinduism.

One major social influence that spoils the religious propensity of people are the movies. Fifteen or twenty years back Tamil movies on Hindu gods and puranic stories were regularly released and well received, but these days most movies are just claptrap.

rahulg
09 February 2010, 07:18 AM
namaskar,

Not sure what you mean by brutish qualities.

Could you please elborate? Who has brutish qualities, who is re-coiling, who is shying away?

Ahem...does this even need a clarification?

heartfully
09 February 2010, 07:26 AM
namaste,

welcome! i actually wondered the same thing so i'm so grateful you asked!

love

<3

Namaste to all
I am new to the forum.
As I Earlier browsed through the net to found that other religious forum
like islamic & christan forum have very large no. of members & users as compared to hindu forums

Infact there are large no of hindus on the net

My question is what are reasons that they are not attracted to hindu forum ?

many hindus are seen on the other religious forum tend to get bias opinion about their religion on that forum. That is why many hindu get attracted to this religion or hate their own religion.

Pawan Dande
09 February 2010, 07:27 AM
I complete agree with some of the reasons

Eastern Mind
09 February 2010, 07:29 AM

Rahulg: Honestly, I have absolutely no idea who or what you are referring to. The term 'brutish' can mean totally different things to different people, as can many words, such as 'Hindu' , 'good' , 'bad' etc.

One person's brute could easily be another person's honorable warrior. Many are so self-absorbed in their own brand of religion that all other views are 'brutish' to them.

All Satay was asking for was your personal sense of 'brutish. It would be the proper thing to be clearer.

Aum Namasivaya

satay
09 February 2010, 10:58 AM
namaskar,

Yes, it does need clarification.

Thanks,

Ramakrishna
14 February 2010, 02:36 AM
I agree with what the others have said. One of my good friends is Catholic and he is part of a forum that is very active and has many members. HDF isn't as large as that, but I'm just happy to find a place like this to discuss Hinduism. I have only been here a short while, but there are a lot of great people on here.

amith vikram
14 February 2010, 05:26 AM
namaste,
HDF is the best hindu forum that i've come across.
but yes,the members are very few and the reason for it,i think is,
1)there is a notion among us that 'spiritual wisdom' is not for youngsters.but contrary to this,the first thing that was taught to children was spirituality(ages ago).but this is how our present education process is going on.everyone is serious about their careers and dreams.and some people turn to spirituality after reaching some point of success but most of them dont.
2)the middle aged or the old may not know about the internet,or may be complacent towards others.

hinduism is almost lost.our dressing,our language,our basic occupation,our way of life is dead.

satay
14 February 2010, 11:57 AM
namaste amith,
Thank you for the post.

namaste,

hinduism is almost lost.our dressing,our language,our basic occupation,our way of life is dead.

You are correct about dressing, language and our way of life but I wouldn't go as far as saying that hinduism is almost lost. It lives in the hearts of hindus. Today's hindu is dressed in a suit instead of a dhoti. In future the dresss code of the world will change and we will adapt to that. But Hinduism will not be lost. isn't it?:)

That said, I know exactly what you mean.

Bhavu
16 February 2010, 09:24 AM
Is it b'coz for an average hindu, religion is not an interesting aspect of life but the life itself. So for him/her it is not somthing to be analysed, only to be experienced. so it becomes personal to him/her. His faith & beliefs is something not for discussion in public.

Bhavu
04 March 2010, 01:52 AM
uploading attachement

ravrajsharma
04 March 2010, 07:03 PM
Namaste....

Personally speaking a lot of people that i have come across didnt have an idea about this forum. Unawareness can be the issue. A lot of my family members who are daily worshippers are not technologically literate and are not that good with internet. But they are still very much interested and keen in hinduism beleive me. I even know that some hindus are very reserved and not speak out most of the time.

I myself came across this forum unknowingly when i was searching for a particular arrangement of my shrine. Ever since this has been in my favorites bar.

In a way it is good that there are lesser numbers since it generates a better discussion instead a thread popping every second.

Quality matters more than quantity - definately :Cool: