PDA

View Full Version : Maha Shivaratri Fast

ScottMalaysia
09 February 2010, 08:02 PM
Hi, I have a question about the Maha Shivaratri fast. Is it a sunrise to sunrise fast? What I mean is, do we start the fast from sunrise on the 12th of February (the day of Shivaratri) and break it after sunrise on the day after (13 February)?

ravrajsharma
10 February 2010, 02:58 PM
Namaste,

Yes, From my knowledge the Mahashivratri fasting begins on the morning of Shivratri and ends next day morning or the Amavasya morning.

The temple which I used to constantly visit back in Fiji had prayers that were going on throughout the night, there were 4 phases of prayers each 3 hours long starting from 6pm and finishing at 6am. After this we ate the offering and subsequently broke our fast. Since it is a long Upvaas or Vrat, many people consumed special meal at the end of each phase. It was not a full force meal though. It was fruit, prasad with water.

I even know of some people who while observing fast consume a mid-day meal consisting of non-cereal food such as boiled potatoes which is made into a curry without onion, garlic, adarak or haldi.

Fasting is made pretty simple when you are in company of others chanting mantras, abhisheks, hawans, preparing for next pooja, etc. But if you are just the observer it gets difficult. Here in Auckland I have no idea whether the prayers will continue till the next morning (im really hoping it does)

All the best for your fast...

Om Namah Shivaye

Eastern Mind
10 February 2010, 04:43 PM
Vannakkam Scott: A resurrected thread you started... I have questions about fasting period.

What is fasting to each person here?

1) total non intake of anything, including water
2) water only
3) water and tea are mild herbal allowed
4) above plus fruit juices in moderation are allowed
5) a small amount of sugar is allowed
6) anything but non-veg

What is the duration, as Scott said?

From dawn
from noon
a certain amount of time

So when someone comes along and says, "I am fasting." what exactly does this mean?

Are there conditions in scripture set out for certain exceptions such as:
1) children
2) pregnant or lactating women
3) the elderly
4) people with diabetes or hypoglaucemia, (sp??) or thyroid conditions
5) people who get migraines from fasting

For Sivaratri, and # 5 in second list as well as side effects of dehydration I experience, I will take some substinence especially water, and a bit of sweet, and start at noon, as the fast will continue until 6AM next day.

Aum Namasivaya

ScottMalaysia
10 February 2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the answers guys.

So I'd be able to eat a big meal before dawn on Maha Shivaratri? I'm going to observe No. 1 on Eastern Mind's list (no food, no water).