PDA

View Full Version : Reverence of ancestors

Chris
10 February 2010, 02:25 PM
How should someone who is not from a Hindu family honour their ancestors? I am aware when I visit ancient sites that my distant ancestors had beliefs similar to Sanatana Dharma, but my more recent ancestors (apart from my Grandfather) were Christian. My Grandfather always said that he did not hold with organised religion (which in his time meant Christianity, he would not have come across other faiths), but the place to find God was out of doors in nature beneath the sky.

Should I follow the Hindu practice of offering food anyway? Will they know and benefit from this in the next world if they have not yet been born again?

sanjaya
10 February 2010, 03:01 PM
Chris, I'm not familiar with the Hindu practice you describe. Could you tell me more? I remember a story from the Mahabharatha in which Sri Krishna takes one of the Pandevas to visit his son who was killed in the war (I believe it's Arjuna and Abimanyu, but I could be mistaken). The son, however, is enjoying the bliss of heaven, and since he's had many fathers over the course of his various births, he doesn't even recognize his father. As such, I'd have trouble understanding the idea of making offerings to one's ancestors. But then, there are a lot of things I don't understand, so maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

As far as general homage to ancestors goes, why does it trouble you that your more recent ancestors were Christian? God made all people and put them in various religious groups, and I don't think he loves one religious group more than the next.

bhaktajan
10 February 2010, 03:02 PM
Yes. The Food must be strictly vegetarian and it is offered on the day of passing yearly. The food must be 'prashadam'.

BTW, There is a famous Vishnu temple famed for this purpose in Goa [?], India.

The process is called 'tarpana'

I compiled verses regarding the Duties of a son [putra Dharma] ---here is the link:

http://www.indiadivine.org/audarya/vedic-verses/453221-putra-dharma-duties-son.html

Eastern Mind
10 February 2010, 04:30 PM
Vannakkam Chris: My view is to honor the ancestors in their tradition. I realise, for some, there might be a tendency to honor them in the new tradition, but personally I find that hypocritical. I expect, that after I die, if anything is done, it is in my tradition. Mormons for example will actually convert someone after death, as odd as that sounds. So hypothetically, If I died, and my daughter married a Mormon who converted her, they could, it they choose, convert me to Mormonism. (At least that would be what they thought)

My mother was a Nature spirit. If she worshiped anything, it was Mother Nature. My Father was a devouted atheist maybe on good days leaning towards agnosticism. He was like yourfather on organised religion, never really getting around his own negative childhood discussions to have an open honest discussion with me ion my new faith. Because they didn't believe in ancestor worship at all, but were buried in a secular graveyard, I planted flowers at the grave site. If I happen to be in the area, I will drop by.

I had quite the negative samskara when my father passed as when I returned to the temple here, the priest basically hauled me up close to the moolasthanam, to do the archana in my father's name. (I was caught off guard) I refused to give his name, so the archana was done in the name of my name 's father. I sensed some disappointment from the priest, from my father, and from my inner self. So all in all it was not a good thing, although I always refuse to beat myself up over it.

So that is just my take. In the end it is up to you of course.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
10 February 2010, 06:54 PM
Namaste Chris,

How should someone who is not from a Hindu family honour their ancestors? I am aware when I visit ancient sites that my distant ancestors had beliefs similar to Sanatana Dharma, but my more recent ancestors (apart from my Grandfather) were Christian. My Grandfather always said that he did not hold with organised religion (which in his time meant Christianity, he would not have come across other faiths), but the place to find God was out of doors in nature beneath the sky.

Should I follow the Hindu practice of offering food anyway? Will they know and benefit from this in the next world if they have not yet been born again?

Hanuman Prasad Poddar who was instrumental in founding Gita Press in Gorakhpur has written how he was approached by dead people from other religions to do Shraadh ( rites for the dead people) for them so that they would be liberated. I myself have vivid experience of a dream when I was made to realise that these rites do have significance for the dead. So, I believe in it. The logic of our mental realm ends here in this world, dear !

However, you can't do it yourself, unless you learn it correctly from some priest. I would suggest you to visit Gaya and offer Pinddaan there. Once this rite is done, it is believed that the ancestors are liberated from Preta-yoni after this it is not necessary to do annual rites.

You may offer pindadaan to the ancestors in any of the Dhaams i.e. in Rameshwaram, in Puri or in Dwarka. There is some place in South India too where it is done.

OM

Eastern Mind
10 February 2010, 07:53 PM
Vannakkam Chris:

I'm curious as to the degree of religion your recent ancestors practiced. Also, did they have living wills, or instructions as to what they wanted in funerals, etc? Are there other relatives like your sisters or brothers who are still practising Christians? What would they think if you go and do a Hindu rite? (in your own good intentions, of course) As you can see, this can get complicated. Its why we have wills, and perhaps more importantly, living wills.
Best wishes in making a clear decision. IOts certainly a lot easier if everyone in a family is all of the same religion.

Aum Namasivaya

ScottMalaysia
11 February 2010, 04:39 AM
Prayers are traditionally offered for the dead. Every year on the eve of Dipavali my wife's grandfather holds prayers for his deceased wife. They curtain off the main altar, place offerings of food (including meat), alcohol and a cigarette on the table in his prayer room with the pictures of his departed wife, parents and brother. Everyone takes turns offering incense and a camphor lamp to the pictures of the departed. My wife's grandfather offers incense and a camphor lamp to the pictures of his departed relatives every day before starting the main puja.

If you want to perform a simple ritual, then take a picture of your departed relative and place it in a prominent place near your altar. If you want, you can place a flower garland around it (although these may be have to be made in Western countries; they are easily bought in countries with lots of Hindus such as India and Malaysia). Next, offer some incense cones (the traditional Hindu kind are about an inch in diameter at the bottom with a flattened top.) They are offered in a holder which looks like this:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_6EGjAQ-bw7o/Sf3pmDBKERI/AAAAAAAABSo/W_QxRGDoHGY/s288/SL381556.JPG

Offer the incense cones by moving them in an anticlockwise direction (note: this is the opposite direction to a normal puja to the Gods).

Next, take a camphor lamp (it looks like this):
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_6EGjAQ-bw7o/Sf3pyV8QlpI/AAAAAAAABTI/CsFbMyj5G60/s288/SL381566.JPG

Place a few squares of camphor in the top part. Next, take another square of camphor, light it from either a match or a lamp that is already lit, and place it in the top. Hold the lamp by the outer ring with your thumb and forefinger. Move the lamp in anticlockwise circles around the picture. Your family can follow the same procedure after you.

Note: this is the traditional South Indian procedure. If anyone is familar with the equivalent North Indian rite, please explain it on this thread.

sambya
11 February 2010, 08:07 AM
BTW, There is a famous Vishnu temple famed for this purpose in Goa [?], India.

The process is called 'tarpana'

hahaha . bhaktajan ...you r still the same !!

its not in goa . its gaya . the tirtha where the vishnu pada padma marks are still visible . it is the main site in india for offering prayers to the deceased .

however , as easternmind have pointed out numerous other temples and places also performs this practice .

the process is called pinda daan .

bhaktajan
11 February 2010, 09:17 AM
Haridy Har Har!

Pida-dana-shradhya in Gaya! Oh yes. That is right. How could I friging forget that? Right?

Glad to see everyone in the old country still quote the Manu-samhita.

Tarpana is a sacred ritual whereupon the closest relatives make a sacred offering to the Gods so that the departed soul may enter Svarga.

http://www.vedicastrologer.org/tarpana/

http://www.hindupedia.com/en/Search_Results?cx=011743665733779375766%3Anl3arbnddtq&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=tarpana&siteurl=www.hindupedia.com%2Fen%2FMain_Page#555 (http://www.hindupedia.com/en/Search_Results?cx=011743665733779375766%3Anl3arbnddtq&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=tarpana&siteurl=www.hindupedia.com%2Fen%2FMain_Page#555)

bhaktajan
11 February 2010, 09:30 AM
http://bihartimes.com/Newsbihar/2009/Sep/Newsbihar04Sep1.html (http://bihartimes.com/Newsbihar/2009/Sep/Newsbihar04Sep1.html)

Praying for ancestors' salvation, Hindus head for Gaya

Gaya, Sep 4 : The Hindu holy town of Gaya in Bihar is set to attract up to 400,000 devotees who are coming here to perform the pinda daan, a religious service for dead ancestors, during the fortnight-long pitrupaksh beginning Friday.
"Pitrupaksh has begun amid tight security in view of threats of terrorists and other trouble makers," Gaya District Magistrate Sanjay Kumar Singh told IANS.
Magadh Commissioner Sanjeev Sinha said: "This time we expect more than four lakh people will come to Gaya to offer pind daan for the salvation of the souls of their ancestors during the pitrupaksha period."

Hindus believe offering pinda daan during the pitru paksh period ensures salvation for the wandering souls of their ancestors.

"The soul keeps wandering till this ritual is performed by male descendants of the dead," priest Murari Lal said.

Gaya, about 100 km from state capital Patna, is considered the holiest place for the purpose. Legend has it that Lord Rama and his wife Sita performed this religious rite for his father, King Dasharath, here.

The town drawing a large number of people from all parts of India and abroad every year during pitrupaksh, the 15 days of the waning moon during the Hindu month of Ashwin.

Pinda daan is traditionally offered on the banks of the Falgu river here.

According to a priest, the rituals are conducted at nearly 50 vedis, or altars, the more important ones being Vishnupad, Ramshila, Pretshila, Baiterni, Akshay Vat and Mahabodhi temple.

Gayawal pandas, claiming to be superior priests, perform the rituals.

It is mandatory for the devotees offering pinda daan to shave their heads and take a holy dip and head for the Baitarni pond. However, some rituals are conducted in the Falgu river nearby.

The prayers are performed at the famous Vishnupad temple named after Lord Vishnu.