PDA

View Full Version : Death, Wills, and Living Wills

Eastern Mind
10 February 2010, 08:05 PM
Vanakkam all:

I am not sure of the laws in India and other predominantly Hindu countries. Here in the west we have laws pertaining to living wills, which are basically like wills, except for the period when one is dieing. They contain such things as funeral requests (cremation or burial) and wishes for terminal illness, (whether or not to pull the plug, feeding etc.) An example that could happen if you don't have one and go into a vegetative state is the spoon feeding of ground meat because the family or hospital doesn't know or accept your vegetarianism. If you don't have it written down, you lose a lot of rights.

I have a written living will that is quite specific on such things. Most wills on the other hand deal mostly with dispersal of wealth and assets. Both legal items are crucial to maintain family harmony during long term palliative illness, as well as death. I encourage everyone I know to have one.

Any thoughts?

Aum Namasivaya

Mohini Shakti Devi
10 February 2010, 09:47 PM
This is such a perfect proposition.

Would you be so kind as to post verbatim in its entirety the very same "generic" living will. I'd probably use yours without any change except for my name added.

Eastern Mind
11 February 2010, 10:56 AM
Vannakkam MSD and others who may be interested:

This area may vary in other countries. Obviously the funeral part would vary in India. I am Canadian, and to date we have no laws regrding outdoor pyre funerals, so electric crematoriums are used. The first part deals with Funeral arrangements, and the Second id for terminal illness (Also called a personal directive) Of course various people will have different beliefs, and there will be variations on that. This is mine basically verbatim. A lawyer will insist on legalese, while in fact it is only cleatr direst language that is necessary. Our first one was done some 30 years a go with a lawyer, but I did it on my own with each subsequent update.

Funeral Arrangements

I request that my body be cremated as soon as possible after death. No ornate casket is desired.

I request no embalming or autopsy, unless an autopsy is required by law.

I request that my eldest son _____ or the child most willing and able be allowed by the crematorium to turn on the switch as per Hindu tradition.

I request a simple but open funeral service that follows the Hindu tradition as best as possible. This could include speakers, and Tamil hymns (devarams) sung by a willing member of the Tamil community. The service should reflect the fact than I am Hindu in belief.

Follow-up rites - If my executors choose to do so, I would appreciate the two follow-up rites of Hinduism, archanas on the 31st day after passing, and on the first anniversary of passing. These temple rites can be done without the presence of my children, but should be arranged by my executor (s) with the advice of a Tamil elder or priest at a temple. (preferably the Maha Ganapati temple in Edmonton) In the case of my death prior to that of my wife;s. and if she is still of sound mind and body, she can make these arrangements.

I request that my ashes be dispersed in a river, preferably one flowing toward the Pacific.

Living Will

In the case of terminal illness, it is my desire that no intrusive life support system be used upon my body, nor any of my body parts be used for medical research nor donated. This includes hand feeding when I am unable to feed myself, unless i am of sound mind and body, and am able to declare otherwise.

I feel it is only fair to your survivors that they understand what you want. I pray this info is helpful to somebody.

Aum Namasivaya

ScottMalaysia
11 February 2010, 12:26 PM
Interesting. I'm hoping that before my time is up, either 1) New Zealand will allow open-air cremation, or 2) We'll have moved to India where it can be performed.

The service should reflect the fact than I am Hindu in belief.

Why not state that you wish the traditional Hindu funeral rites to be performed? I'm sure there are pujaris who would be able to do them, even in Canada.

I'll state a similar thing in my will, but I'll also add that prayers to Sathya Sai Baba are not under any circumstances to be offered at my funeral, nor is a priest who believes Sathya Sai Baba to be God to perform the ceremony unless no other priest is available. I say this because in prayers for my wife's father's cousin the priest invoked Sathya Sai Baba after invoking Lord Shiva, Lord Ganesha, Lord Krishna and the other Gods. I was very offended by this and wish to make sure that it does not happen at my funeral.

Eastern Mind
11 February 2010, 12:39 PM
Why not state that you wish the traditional Hindu funeral rites to be performed? I'm sure there are pujaris who would be able to do them, even in Canada.

Like I said, it will vary. The answer is that there is no standard traditional Hindu funeral rites. In Sri Lanka, where my tradition would be from, there is a separate priesthood for it that does not even attend temples. There are some in Toronto. One fellow I know had them flown out here, but because of the time involved, then he had to have embalming done. So that would make a contradiction. (for me) The priests here that would do it, (not my temple's priest) follow a sampradaya that is say, less mystical in nature than mine, so I am not comfortable with that. (Basically the same reason you just pointed out, but not because of a Guru) I'm more comfortable with Tamil thevarams, and my own mystical knowledge on the transition.

I also know crematoriums are being used more often in India as well. Perhaps Saidevoji of Devoteeji can update us on that.

Aum Namasivaya