PDA

View Full Version : Ekadashi Vrat?

satay
12 February 2010, 10:53 AM
namaskar,
I was wondering if someone could post or point to a calendar that shows Ekadashi vrat dates. In the north we call it Kashti vrat.

The reason for posting in ISKCON forum because I think most krsn bhaktas particularly ISKCON members would know this...

Krsna das?

saidevo
12 February 2010, 11:20 AM
namaste Satay.

We have two booklets in our Library on the ekAdashi vrata:

ekAdashI, dvAdashI, pradosha vratams
http://www.ahobilavalli.org/ekadashi.pdf

ekAdashI, The Day of Lord Hari
http://www.krsna.org/Ekasasi%20The%20Day%20of%20Lord%20Hari.pdf

I haven't gone through them yet, but perusing them might help to know the subject better.

As to the ekAdashI calendar, I came across this link:
http://www.hindu-blog.com/2009/11/ekadasi-2010-ekadashi-calendar-fasting.html

Krsna Das
12 February 2010, 11:57 AM
Dandavat Pranam, Satay Ji !

ISKCONIT'es and all the Gaudiya Vaisnavas essentially follow this ekadashi day (also widely known as Madhav-tithi or the Day dear to Madhav).

If you are interested in knowing the ekadashi dates, and what time should one obeserve fasts, along with observing the "fast-opening" or pAraN timings, depending on which part of the earth you are, then this is the link:

http://www.purebhakti.com/resources/vaisnava-calendar-mainmenu-71.html

You can select your location, so that you can get the exact time for observing these fasts.

Ekadashi is called Bhakti-janani in our sampradaya (the mother of Bhakti-devi).

Traditionally it is kept as a total fast (even from water), but if it not possible, one should avoid taking grains and all kinds of vegetables.

For example, I always observe ekadashi with fruits, potatoes, dry-fruits and milk etc.

One should also chant the holy names as much as possible.

"Kashti vrat"??? - Satay Ji - are you a Punjabi? The pronounciation looks familiar.

For more information, pl click on this link:

http://www.iskcondesiretree.net/profiles/blogs/who-is-ekadasi?xg_source=activity

satay
12 February 2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks sai, krsna for the links and information. I will definitely check them out.

Both calendar links are excellent! Thanks for that!

"Kashti vrat"??? - Satay Ji - are you a Punjabi? The pronounciation looks familiar.

Yes, grew up in punjab till 17 years of old but presently located in canada.

Would be excellent to see a short post or thread on each day of ekadashi vrat for this year as the vrat approaches. For example, the next vrat is Feb. 24th. What's the significance? Why is it called amalaki? etc. like that...it would be excellent to read about that here on HDF.

Krsna Das
14 February 2010, 08:01 AM
Would be excellent to see a short post or thread on each day of ekadashi vrat for this year as the vrat approaches. For example, the next vrat is Feb. 24th. What's the significance? Why is it called amalaki? etc. like that...it would be excellent to read about that here on HDF.

Satay Ji,

Dandavat Pranamas,

Excellent! Perfect ! Thanks for providing me this seva. I will take us this seva for me. I am happy!

Coming 24th Feb 2010 will be amalaki ekdashi during which i will be in Navadwipa Dham, Bengal (fingers crossed) for one week parikrama.

So I will post about this vrata possibly this week itself, or even today.

Jai Madhava Tithi

satay
14 February 2010, 12:00 PM
Pranam prabhu,

Thank you Krsna for taking up this task!

Hari Bol!

Satay Ji,

Dandavat Pranamas,

Excellent! Perfect ! Thanks for providing me this seva. I will take us this seva for me. I am happy!

Coming 24th Feb 2010 will be amalaki ekdashi during which i will be in Navadwipa Dham, Bengal (fingers crossed) for one week parikrama.

So I will post about this vrata possibly this week itself, or even today.

Jai Madhava Tithi

Jivattatva
14 February 2010, 05:11 PM
Radhe Radhe

Excellent thread, Satayji. Thanks.

Thanks Krishnadasji for taking up the seva. Nice of you to be going to Navadwip dham and I would suppose for Gaur purnima. I was actually there last month for one week then to Vrindavandham for 2 weeks. Just back 4 days ago.

I'm bias you know, but let me say this. Gaudiya Vaishnavism is the way to go in this present age if we want to try to be situated in awareness of God all the time. Why so? Because GV is a way of life, a holistic way. We have God in our food "prasad", in our flowers in our garden " we offer them to our dieties in our altar", in our songs "kirtan/bhajan", in our mind "meditation" and in our intellectual ponderings , based on the shastras. In short we can see and engage almost everything in relation to Krishna. Our practice is practical yet sublime and relatively accessible to everyone yet so effective. What else can you ask?

So yes, I would not be me if I don't say, please open your hearts and mind to Gaudiya Vaishnavism and see its truth and beauty.

Jai Sri Krishna Jai Sri Radhe
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare

Krsna Das
15 February 2010, 01:27 AM
Thanks JivaTattva and Satay Ji,

I had been praying lately, so that I can attend this Navadwipa Dham Parikrama festival.

I had been reading the pasttimes of Mahaprabhu, and wehenever I read them, I cannot manage without tears. My heart melts. And why not? -

Shuno O Re Bhai ! tribhuvane-nay emone doyola daata !
pashu-pakhi Jhure, pashaan bidare, shuni jar guna-gaatha !!

O dear brother, please listen to this truth - in these three worlds, there is no other person as compasssionate as Mahaprabhu. What to speak of humans, the birds and animals, and even the stones on the road side melt, when the past-times of Mhaprabhu is narrated to them.

In short we can see and engage almost everything in relation to Krishna. Our practice is practical yet sublime and relatively accessible to everyone yet so effective. What else can you ask?
So yes, I would not be me if I don't say, please open your hearts and mind to Gaudiya Vaishnavism and see its truth and beauty.

True. That's what Srila Prabhupada also said - Whatever you do, dovetail Krsna with that. That is the perfection of Yoga.

Radhe !

Raman110
12 October 2010, 12:06 AM
Dear all,

I have a specific doubt on parna timing of Vyanjuli Mahadvadasi that came on September 19, 2010 (Sunday).

I am in Delhi so I am considering Delhi, India local time.

In Delhi, according to Vaishnav Calendar the parna for this mahadvasasi was given to be between 6:12am to 7:32am on September 20, 2010 (Monday).

Now, it was still Dwadashi till 7:32am in Delhi on September 20, 2010. This means that parna was adviced within the dwadashi. But, in it is said that "if ekadasi fasting is observed on a dvadasi, such as a vyanjuli or paksavardhini mahadvadasi or when there was no suddha ekadasi, then it should be broken while the trayodasi tithi is present." Similarly, it is mentioned that "if fasting is observed on a dvadasi day then the parana timings are calculated to be any time after sunrise the next day, but within one-third of the daylight hours and within the full trayodasi tithi."

This means that parna should have been done in Triyodashi after dwadashi had ended at 7:32am on September 20, 2010 and not before that.

However, as per Vaishnav Calendar calculation parna was advised within dwadashi between 6:12am to 7:32am on September 20, 2010 (Monday). Which seems to be wrong!!

I will be very grateful if someone could advice what is the correct way to interpret this case of parna timing.

Best regards
Raman