PDA

View Full Version : Vedic astronomy?

vedic_kings
31 August 2006, 01:06 PM
Hi guys:)

I was wondering which scripture explains Vedic astronomy? Cause I want to know where it says the earth is round:)

Thanks for any inputs!

sarabhanga
31 August 2006, 05:44 PM
Namaste VK,

The Aryabhatiya (Aryabhatta, 499 AD) first states that the earth is round, and that it rotates on its axis and orbits the sun, with the whole system suspended in space. Arybhatta notes that the planetary orbits are elliptical, and that the moon and planets all shine only by virtue of their reflected sun-light.

vedic_kings
31 August 2006, 09:44 PM
Namaste VK,

The Aryabhatiya (Aryabhatta, 499 AD) first states that the earth is round, and that it rotates on its axis and orbits the sun, with the whole system suspended in space. Arybhatta notes that the planetary orbits are elliptical, and that the moon and planets all shine only by virtue of their reflected sun-light.
Thank you very much sarabhanga!

I was replying to a thread over at the Christian forums and said the the Vedas said the would was round, which I thought was the case! So my mistake!

If you would like to view the thread you can view it here http://www.christianforums.com/t3292580-10-questions-for-muslims-christians-answer-it.html&page=11#post26369029

sarabhanga
31 August 2006, 11:26 PM
Namaste,

Perhaps the Vedas do not explicitly state that the earth is spherical, but they certainly never state (or even imply) that the world is flat! It was very anciently understood that the surface of the earth was continuously curved, like the back of a turtle-shell.

vedic_kings
02 September 2006, 06:00 PM
Namaste,

Perhaps the Vedas do not explicitly state that the earth is spherical, but they certainly never state (or even imply) that the world is flat! It was very anciently understood that the surface of the earth was continuously curved, like the back of a turtle-shell.

Interesting..

yeah I read about the turtle-shell in the Vedas:)