yajvan
12 February 2010, 12:04 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

ॐ त्रिलोकेशाय नमः
oṁ trilokeśāya namaḥ
oṁ I bow (salutations) to trilokeśā, the Ruler of the three worlds

On this mahá śivaratri I thought to offer the following...

Where can one find maheśvara in one's chart? Is there such a thing? My POV here is regarding the spiritual orientation or influence of this as it can be viewed 2 ways - mundane and adhyātma¹. My orientation is adhyātma.

Maheśvara from a jyotiś POV has much to do with separating the ātma from the mind (mana) - the spiritual from the mundane, the Absolute from the relative , in one's life. This is key condition which is a major step in the full blossoming of one's complete development of Unity with the Divine.

How to calculate which graha takes on this role?
1. This is accomplished by first locating the kāraka lagna.
2. This is the name given to the sign (rāśi) that houses the ātma-kāraka. The ātma-kāraka is identified as the grāha that has the greatest longitude in any sign.

Lets use the famous jyotiṣa Dr. BV Ramon as an example:
Lagna - ___9 Aq 06' 53.22"
Sun - AmK 22 Cn 59' 12.90"
Moon - AK 23 Ta 45' 30.45"
Mars - BK 21 Le 22' 51.52"
Mercury (R) - MK 13 Le 52'
Jupiter - PiK 12 Sc 58' 21.90"
Venus - DK 2 Le 16' 55.49"
Saturn - PK 10 Ta 08' 20.95"
Rahu - GK 22 Pi 48' 02.91"

3. Dr. Ramon's ātma-kāraka (AK) = Moon that has the longitude of 23º 45' 30.35 in the rāśi of Taurus.
4. We have identified Taurus as the kāraka lagna.
5. Now the lord of the 8th house from Taurus is to be found. That is Sagittarius.
6. The lord of Sagittarius = Guru or Jupiter and = Maheśvara for Dr Ramon.

7. Yet there is also another rule one must consider. Let say I find rāhu or ketu in the kāraka lagna or in the 8th house from the kāraka lagna ( this occurs in my chart). Then another rule must be applied;

8. We now count 6 houses from the kāraka lagna to arrive at a new rāśi and view the lord of the 6th house as Maheśvara. But one must ask why 6 houses ? Rāhu or ketu revereses the counting order - that is, we count backwards ( counter-clockwise) from the kāraka lagna 8 signs to arrive at the new location. Note counting backwards 8 signs is the same as counting forwards 6 signs, we end up in the same location!

praṇām

words

adhyātma अध्यात्म - the Supreme Self; also belowing to SELF, or concerning SELF
grāhaka ग्राहक - one who seizes or takes captive from;
grāha ग्रह- seizing , laying hold of , holding i.e. a grāhaka ~seizes~ or influences the circumstances of the native. This is done via the tattva they manage and control.
grāha ग्राह - a rapacious animal living in fresh or sea water; any large fish or marine animal i.e. crocodile, shark, serpent, alligator, or hippopotamus
gṛhya गृह्य- 'seizing by' ;
kāraka कारक- as a noun - 'instrumental in bringing about the action' ; in general , making or doing. In this conversation it is the grāhaka¹ ( the ~planet~) as one who produces, creates or influences a condition to unfold. Sanjay Rath is sympathetic to the notion of influences vs. directly controls on how the graha-s function.
Prof. B. V. Raman data

Natal Chart:
Date: August 8, 1912
Time: 19:38:00
Time Zone: 5:30:00 (East of GMT)
Place: 77 E 35' 00", 12 N 59' 00"