PDA

View Full Version : duḥ + sthāna

yajvan
13 February 2010, 11:41 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté

Many people turn or look to jyotiṣ ( jyotish) when despair or the inability to get their expected results from one's actions occur. Many quickly look to the dusthāna houses as the culprits.

Definition
This dusthāna is duḥ + sthāna. Lets look at the words:

duḥ ( or du) - 2nd derivation is defined as pain , or sorrow , afflict , distress ; to burn , consume with fire , cause internal heat
The 1st derivation of du is 'to go'. So in jyotiṣ ( jyotish), the 2nd derivation is being applied.
sthāna is defined as place of standing or staying , any place , spot , locality , abode , dwelling , house , site . In jyotish this would be considered a house or bhāva.Hence we can see that dusthāna (duḥ + sthāna) is a position, seat, location, spot, etc. that causes or brings pain, heat, burning.

What are these houses ?
The 6th, 8th and 12th houses

The 6th - we know shows weaknesses, enmity, various friction like arguments and the like. Note the 6th house and sickness
shows these illnesses arising from one's own condition of weakness .
The 8th - suggests past life results, various shocks that can come to the individual
The 12th - shows loss, expenses, theft that may occur.Are there more to these houses - no doubt yes. Yet what is of great interest ( to me) is the 8th and 12th houses are very spiritual in nature. It is also worthy of note that the 6th house is a upacaya¹ (some write upachaya) bhāva.

What does that mean? Upacaya is increase , growth , prosperity . Over time this house has the ability to improve and give better reults. That is , contribute to ones ability, support one's intentions, etc.

Is there relief from these?
But where does one find shelter or protection? It occurs naturally in the chart also. But when there is an imbalance, when more negativity exceeds the positivity or that which cannot be neutralized, then one gets negative experiences. One must look at this and at least consider - what am I turn learn from this? This is not easy to do, but it's a rational approach.

The 5th house counted from any sign (raśi) can become its protection - some consider this location 'astra' , a weapon in general. This word astra is also another name for phat, then astra takes on the meaning of that which emits or thows out light. Others call this 5th house location āśraya - that which helps, assists or shelters.

It is when this 5th house is also afflicted, then it cannot lend a hand back to the house in question and one experiences the egative impact of this condition.

Are there others then dusthāna-s that may/can contribute to one's angst ? Yes.

maraṇa kāraka sthāna ( some call maraṇa-sthāna)
bādhaka sthāna
triṣadāya bhāva
etc.More on these terms on a later post.

praṇām

words

sthāna - place of standing or staying , any place , spot , locality , abode , dwelling , house , site
bhāva is rooted in bhū becoming , being , existing , occurring , appearance ; manner of acting , conduct , behaviour ;a seat
upacaya is the 3rd, 6th, 10th and 11th houses

soham3
14 February 2010, 11:44 AM
(1) Sri Aurobindo in his ' Origins Of Aryan Speech ' says that all words starting with ' d ' mean offence / disturbance.
(2) I am meeting a Bhrigu-Pandit nowadays to get all the negativities from my horoscope removed.

yajvan
14 February 2010, 01:49 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté

(1) Sri Aurobindo in his ' Origins Of Aryan Speech ' says that all words starting with ' d ' mean offence / disturbance.
(2) I am meeting a Bhrigu-Pandit nowadays to get all the negativities from my horoscope removed.

I am a reader of Śrī Aurobindo's (some write Śrī Ôrobindo or even Srī Aravinda) works. I will have to pursue his writing on this matter... for this knowledge seems obtuse to what we read in the bṛhadaraṇyaka upaniṣad , prᾱjᾱpati brāhmaṇa :

Upon asking prᾱjᾱpati, the devᾱ-s, manuṣyᾱ-s, asurᾱs ( gods, men and demons) said 'give us instuction' .

To the devᾱ He said one word, da. He asked do you undersand? The devᾱ-s said, yes, we understand.
To the manuṣyᾱ He said one word, da. He asked do you understand? The manuṣyᾱ said, yes, we understand
To the asurᾱs He said one word, da. He asked do you understand? The asurᾱ-s said, yes, we understand.Same word, 3 different meanings/comprehensions:
For the devᾱ da was understood as damyata ; from dam - to restrain, subdue , conquer + yata -held in , held forth, controlled
Hence self-control. Avoid (manage and control) over-indulgance of the senses.

For the manuṣyᾱ da was understood as datta - gift , donation, charity, giving; from 'da' giving, granting ; dat is often ; ta
as a noun is virtue. This datta is chairty, giving often, as a virtue.

For the asurᾱs da was understood as dayadhvam - being merciful ; that is day +adhva+m ; day is to impart, allot, to have sympathy. In 'day' we have 'da' - to give ; adhva is the means, the method and resource.

Inside of adhva we have 'va' - which is auspiciousness, conciliation. This dayadhvam is the resouce of sympathy that is 'va' , auspicious.

These 3 - dama, dāna and daya i.e. self-control, giving, and mercy (compassion/empathy) - the wisdom of the ages. The gift of self-control to one's own self brings you to the devᾱ-s i.e. enlightened vision.

The gift of giving to others brings you to fullness of being a human of divine ancestry. The gift of compassion and mercy removes you from the mind-set of the asurᾱs.

praṇām

yajvan
15 February 2010, 05:41 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté

What of the following?
bādhaka sthāna
triṣadāya bhāva

maraṇa kāraka sthāna -

maraṇa - the act of dying , death ; another name for ther 8th house (bhāva)
kāraka - instrumental in bringing about the action denoted by a verb , in this case maraṇa.
sthāna - place of standing or staying , any place , spot , locality , abode , dwelling , house , site maraṇa kāraka sthāna - the locations instrumental in bringing about death-like conditions or suffering.

When does this occur?

Sun in the 12th house
Moon in the 8th house
Mars in the 7th house
Jupiter in the 3rd house
Venus in the 6th house
Mercury in the 7th house
Saturn in the 1st house
Rāh in the 9th house
Ketu - none.But what brings protection if this occurs ?
The grāhaka¹ does not bring inauspicious influences ( in these positions) if it is strong due to a day birth or night birth. What does this mean? If one has the sun in the 12th , yet was born during the daylight period, it does not bring the stigma of inauspiciousness to this 12th house position.

Who is strong day/night?
Who is strong for day? The Sun , Venus and Jupiter. And who is strong at night? The moon, Mars, Saturn, Rahu and Ketu.
If Venus was in the 6th, yet the native has a day birth, then the inauspiciousness is removed; and if Moon is in the 8th, and the native is born during the PM portion of a day, then it brings no harm by being in the 6th.

Is there other protection?
Yes. We can review this after we finish bādhaka sthāna & triṣadāya bhāva. Parāśara-ji offers a few yoga-s and positions one should consider.

praṇām

words

grāhaka ग्राहक- one who seizes or takes captive ; from grāha ग्रह- seizing , laying hold of , holding i.e. a grāhaka ~seizes~ or influences the circumstances of the native. This is done via the tattva they manage and control.

yajvan
17 February 2010, 09:38 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté

What of the following?
bādhaka sthāna
triṣadāya bhāva

bādhaka is defined as oppressing, paining, opposing , hindering , injuring
sthāna - place of standing or staying , any place , spot , locality , abode , dwelling , house , site bādhaka sthāna then is that house or dwelling that hinders, opposes or brings pain.

Bādhaka sthāna calculation
The calculation from the lagna (ascendent) is based upon the lagna's type i.e. movable, fixed, or dual sign. This sequence of movable , fixed and dual repeats itself 4 times ( 4 x 3 = 12 signs), starting with Aries being movable, Taurus being fixed, then Gemini being dual. This again starts with movable for Cancer, fixed for Leo, and dual for Virgo. Like that it continues until we end with Piscis being a dual sign. So finding one's lagna as movable , fixed or dual sign is straightforward.

Now, if one's lagna is movable, then the bādhaka sthāna is 11 houses from the lagna. Say one's ascendant is Aries - we count 11 houses and end with Aquarius being the bādhaka sthāna location. If Taurus or a fixed sign, such as Leo, Scorpio and Aquarius, is one's lagna, then count 9 signs from that location. Note for a Taurus lagna the bādhaka sthāna location is Capricorn. If one has a Scorpio lagna, then 9 signs from there is Cancer.
And if one had a dual sign lagna such as Gemini, Virgo,Sagittarius or Pisces, then count 7 houses to arrive at the bādhaka sthāna location.

Note that the sign and the lord brings obstacles to one's life. The lord of the bādhaka sthāna is called bādhakeśa. Here is the insight that is not well known ( outside of those that study jyotiś). The natural bādhaka sthāna location is Aquarius . It is lorded by two - śani and rāhu, they are considered the natual bādhakeśa-s in a chart. They bring delay (saturn), rebirth (rāhu), obstacles ( both), deception (rāhu), etc.

Blessings in the Chart
If the bādhakeśa is ill-placed, say in the 10th house, then there is issues with career; in the 2nd house or 11th, then there is troubles with wealth creation or gain. Yet if that 10th house was a house of exaltation for the bādhakeśa , it can can work to remove obstacles. If the bādhakeśa was placed, say in the 12th house, then too, good can come from this placement.

Is there more to this bādhakeśa?
Yes, there is the dṛṣṭi of bādhakeśa. Dṛṣṭi means sight, seeing , viewing. This is when the bādhakeśa views other houses from its position. Just as you can look out your window and see your neighbor across the way, so can the various grāhaka. This dṛṣṭi of bādhakeśa influences other houses.

Then there is deva, pitr, abhicara, sarpa , etc etc. bādhaka-s that can occur and is outside of this introduction to this concept. Yet no matter the type it boils down to the placement of bādhakeśa in one's chart.

Are there remedial measures (some call upāya) ?
Yes. That said, it has been my experience that the remedies have to be quite specific, done at the right time, place, with the proper intent, people, etc. It is a very exact practice. The results can be from meager to rewarding in nature.

I can tell you without reservation I am at a loss for prescribing the correct remedial measure that would yield results without question or doubt. I have tried many of the measures. While I have felt positive about doing them, I cannot say my results where directly attainable/unattainable from the actions that were performed. To this I look to smarter, more learned and experienced jyotiṣa's other then me. I consider myself a śiṣya - no more, or less - the student, willing to learn from others.

praṇām

yajvan
20 February 2010, 12:58 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté

What of the following?
bādhaka sthāna
triṣaḍāya bhāva

triṣaḍāya
triṣadāya = tri+ṣaḍ +āya . tri = 3 , ṣaḍ= ṣaṣ¹ = 6 , āya = 11, and defined as the 11th lunar mansion. Hence triṣaḍāya is the 3rd, 6th and 11th houses (bhāva).

What can be so special about theses? They are the pāda-s ( foot, step, measure) of rāhu. That is,
in the natural zodiac, beginning with Aries the 3rd house (Gemini) is the exalted position for rāhu;
the 6th ( or Virgo ) is the mūlatrikoṇa position ( my teacher called this rāhu's office, where he does
business in a formal way), and the 11th house Aquarius. This is co-owned with śani.
Hence triṣadāya are the steps of rāhu locations.

Why is the 3rd looked at ( at certain times) as unfavorable? It is the 8th from the 8th house.
This offers the jyotiṣ principle of bhavat bhāvam¹ .

Some rāhu traits/influences

rāhu is capable of delivering highly malefic results and it is triṣadāya where rāhu is strongest.
rāhu is often the force behind a genius who turns to criminal ways
At times rāhu is responsible for the perversion of the intellect.
rāhu is a trickster/mischief-maker with dangerous in its intentions hence;
There is a general desire to aquire, therefore rāhu encourages risk, to the point of recklessness
Craving to possess, obsessively hungry for material-physical-sensual experience.
A kāraka¹ for promiscuity
Brings 'dirty food' to be consumed - drugsSome better qualities
rāhu placed in a dusthāna is (duḥ + sthāna) is supposed to be a better placement for rāhu. The very 1st post reviews dusthāna-s.
It is challanging at best to predict whether rāhu will work on its higher principle (true knowledge) or its lower principle (illusionary power) .
But that said, some of of the most advanced muni's has had rāhu as their ātmakārka. Also malifics that are the 3rd and the 6th from the ārūḍha lagna is considered favorable. What is this ārūḍha¹ ? See this HDF post - http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1633&highlight=arudha (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1633&highlight=arudha) .

praṇām

words and references

ṣaṣ becomes ṣaṭ before hard letters , ṣaḍ before soft , ṣo before d , which is changed into ḍ , and ṇ before nasals ; it means six (6)
āya is defined as income, revenue; the 11th lunar mansion; also a die or dice piece.
bhavat bhāvam explained here: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2803&highlight=bhavat (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2803&highlight=bhavat)
kāraka - making , doing , acting , who or what does or produces or creates
ārūḍha - how you are perceived by others ; brought under the cognizance of the senses , perceived

yajvan
24 February 2010, 01:07 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~

namasté

Is there other protection?
Yes. We can review this after we finish bādhaka sthāna & triṣadāya bhāva. Parāśara-ji offers a few yoga-s and positions one should consider.

Many individuals have pāpa¹ indicated in their birth chart. Yet many times the chart itself rectifies this imbalance. One or two that I like are called out by Parāśara-ji :

The lagna lord ( lord of the ascendant) placed in a kendra ( 1st, 4th, 7th, or 10th house ) can alone remove all evils just as pinākī (śiva) destroyed the 3 cities. The same occurs if we find the benefics of Mercury, Jupiter or Venus placed in kendra-s.

A single but strong Jupiter placed in the lagna has the ability to destroy all sins. Another is when Mars and Jupiter co-mingle in the same sign or house or Mars has the aspect ( sight) from Jupiter. This is auspicious for mother and also destroys sin.

praṇām

words
pāpa - boding evil , inauspicious