PDA

View Full Version : Hey everyone

Einherjar
13 February 2010, 12:41 PM
I'm new here, obviously. My name is Stu. It's a pleasure to meet you all. This seems to be one of the more active Hinduism forums on the net these days (or at least the most active one I've found yet)

My journey into the beautiful world of Hinduism and it's life affirming philosophies started about 3 years ago. I'd been getting heavily into occult studies, spending time reading Aleister Crowley, studying the hermetic qabalah, etc... It's actually how I got into meditation. At this point I had a barely functioning knowledge of Hinduism, I knew a little bit, but mostly on a superficial level to where it came to interpreting various pieces of Hindu artwork.

Then, one day, I had the strangest dream after meditating before bed. While sleeping there was an eerily rhythmic repitition of "The Bhagavad-Gita" (Not the story itself, just the name) in my head. When I awoke it was basically branded into my brain, I couldn't get it out of my head. I knew of the book but had never read it and had no clue what it was about. Just that it was one of the most translated philosophical works of all time.

So, needless to say I went out and bought a copy that day. I've never had any other book in my life touch me in such a profound way, and put things into words that I'd been feeling my entire life. It's a beautiful piece of work and it has motivated me to be a better person.

From there I've began studying a collection of Upanishads and I'm currently reading a translation of selections from the Rig Veda.

Anyway, sorry if that was kind of lengthy and pointless. Haha. Just thought I'd give some background information.

Onkara
13 February 2010, 12:52 PM
Welcome to the forum, Stu.
I enjoyed reading about your first encounter with the Bhagavad Gita. I have benefited a lot from the Bhagavad Gita and Upanishads. I look forward to reading your points of view.

Eastern Mind
13 February 2010, 12:52 PM
Vannakkam Einherjar: Welcome to these forums. Hope you get something out of them.

Aum Namasivaya

Ramakrishna
14 February 2010, 02:50 AM
Namaste Einherjar! Welcome to HDF. What a wonderful story about how the Gita has changed you. It has has had a great impact on my life as well, and I am constantly learning new things from it. I look forward to your contributions to the forums!

Einherjar
14 February 2010, 04:45 AM
Thank you for the welcomes. I've been kind of caught up in my school work this past week. So I may lurk for a few days before I start actively participating in threads.

It's been a while since I've found a new online community that I'm excited about participating, I'm looking forward to conversations with everyone (hopefully I'll learn some things along the way as well)