PDA

View Full Version : THE GLORIES OF EKADASHI

Krsna Das
14 February 2010, 09:35 AM
Dandavat Pranamas !

I have created this thread for presenting the glories of Ekadashi fasts: Any person having any question to ekadashi should post his comment here:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=5309

General questions on Ekadashi

1.Why should one observe fast on ekadashi?
Once pAp-purush (the embodiment of sin) appeared before Lord Visnu and requested: “Dear Lord, you alone are the source of every living and non living entity in this universe. You have created me also, for punishing the atheists or persons averse to you and your devotion. But in this age of Satya-yuga, everybody is engaged truthfully in your devotional service, no one is an atheist. So I do not see any place for me to reside.” Lord replied – “ You should stay in all kinds on grains on the day of ekadashi. People who eat grains on this day, will actually accumulate sin“ My devotees will observe a fast on this day, to remain away from sin.

kadasyam samayantyam prapunantyam jagattrayam
sthatavyam annamasritya bhavata papa purusa

sansare yani papani tany eva ekadasi dine
annam asritya tisthanti sriman narayana ajnaya

(Padma Purana, Kriya Yogasara 22.46,50)

When Ekadasi arrives, at that time, all of the sins from the three worlds reside in grains in the form of a sinful person. Whatever sins are available in this world, they all together reside in grains on Ekadasi day by the order of Lord Sri Narayana.

2.Chaitanya Mahaprabhu on ekadashi:
Mahaprabhu’s mother (Sachi-mata) did not used to observe fast on ekadashi. Lord requested his mother to observe this fast strictly, since that is what is expected from a Vaisnava. Lord also requested to Sanatana Goswami to differentiate between a mixed ekadashi and a pure ekadashi, so that the devotees are not bewildered about the actual day on which fast should be observed. [ NOTE THAT ekadashi fast is sometimes observed the next day, i.e. on Mahadwadashi]:

"You should recommend the avoidance of mixed Ekadasi and the performance of pure Ekadasi. You should also describe the fault in not observing this. One should be very careful as far as these items are concerned. If one is not careful, one will be negligent in executing devotional service." (Sri Caitanya to Sanatana Gosvami, CC Madhya-lila 24.342)

3.What is the correct muhurta (date as well as timing) for following the fast:
- If the tithi begins after sunrise and ends before sunrise of the next day (lost) it is combined with the next tithi.
- If the same tithi falls on sunrise two days in a row, observances are scheduled on the first day; except Ekadasi, Amavasya, or Purnima tithis which are scheduled for the second day.
- Ekadasi must come in prior to the brahma muhurta (1 hour 36 min before sunrise). When it does so it is called Suddha Ekadasi, pure Ekadasi. If it begins after that, it is considered impure and is therefore to be observed on the Dvadasi (making Mahadvadasi or compounded) on the next day.
- If Ekadasi falls on sunrise two days in a row, fasting is observed on the second day.
- If Ekadasi begins after sunrise and ends before sunrise the next day it is considered Lost, too short, thus not full, and impure. Therefore the next day is called Unmillani Mahadvadasi.
- If Dvadasi begins after sunrise and ends before sunrise on the next day (Trayodasi), it is also lost, and is to be observed as Trisprsa Mahadvadasi.
- If Dvadasi falls on the sunrise two days in a row the first Dvadasi becomes Vyanjuli Mahadvadasi.
- When the following Amavasya or Purnima falls on sunrise two days in a row the preceding Dvadasi becomes Paksa-Vardhini-Mahadvadasi, Paksa based. Parama Ekadasi in the month of Purusottama.

4.Since the calculation is very complex, how can we know the authentic timings for “fast” :
You can go to this site and then select the zone you are in, and the calendar will be generated for you:

http://www.purebhakti.com/resources/...inmenu-71.html (http://www.purebhakti.com/resources/vaisnava-calendar-mainmenu-71.html)

NOTE THAT it is important to break the fast at correct timings, otherwise the fast becomes nishfal (means goes in vein)

5.How should we observe ekadashi?
Since this day is dear to Lord Hari, one should observe fast from all the grains and read Bhagwatam and Ramayana. Important thing is that one should do sankirtan, or congregational chanting of holy names. One should also do japa as much as possible.

Traditionally, one is also required to do jagran during night and do sankirtan till morning. If that is not possible, one should atleast do sankirtan for 1-3 hrs in the night, or till midnight.

6.Please discuss the mahatmya (glories) of ekadashi.

AMALAKI EKADASHI

The glories of Amalaki – ekadashi was narrated by Muni Vashishtha to King Mandhata as follows:

During the creation of this cosmos by Lord Visnu, by his supreme desire to manifest this amalaki-fast in this world, the amalaki-tree appeared. This amalaki tree and it’s fruits is very dear to Lord Visnu. [Amalaki means the tree of amla fruit].

When Brahma Ji did Srsti-rachna (creating the material world by the mahat-tattva manifested by Lord Visnu), he was very surprised to see this amla-tree, as were the devas of swarga and the sapta-rishis. They thought – “Whenever the cosmos was created by Brahma Ji before, we never saw a tree like this. Every other creature, existed in all the previous kalpas, but this tree is never seen before. Which tree is this?

Lord Visnu replied in the form of akash-vani – “ This amalaki tree is my vibhuti in this material world. I have manifested this tree for the benefit of society. Any person, who worships this tree, or offers the fruits of this tree to me on ekadashi day of phalguna month (shukla –paksha), and observes fast, becomes very dear to me, and attains my spiritual abode in the end.”

Vashistha muni then said to Kind Mandhata –

There was once a kingdom named VaidishA, where all the brAhmanas, kshatriyas, vaishyas, and shudras were equally endowed with Vedic knowledge, great bodily strength, and fine intelligence. Oh lion among kings, the whole kingdom was full of Vedic sounds, not a single person was atheistic, and no one sinned. In this way, O best of kings, the citizens of VaidishA lived many long years in great happiness and prosperity. Giving up all varieties of materialistic religion, they completely dedicated themselves to the loving service of the Supreme Lord, Hari.

Once, in the month of Phalguna (February - March), the holy fast of Amalakii EkAdasii arrived, conjoined with DvAdasi. King Chitraratha realised that this particular fast would bestow especially great benefit, and thus he and all the citizens of VaidishA observed this sacred EkAdasii very strictly, carefully following all the rules and regulations. After bathing in the river, the king and all his subjects went to the temple of Lord Vishnu, where an Amalakii tree grew, and offered his prayers to amalaki tree and Lord Hari.

After offering these excellent prayers, King Chitraratha and his subjects remained awake throughout the night, praying and worshiping according to the regulations governing a sacred EkAdasii fast. It was during this auspicious time of fasting and prayer that a very irreligious man approached the assembly, a man who maintained himself and his family by killing animals. N this day, by chance, this person was not able to find anything to eat, and burdened with both fatigue and sin, the hunter saw the king and the citizens of VaidishA observing Amalakii EkAdasii by performing an all-night vigil, fasting, and worshiping Lord Vishnu in the beautiful forest setting, which was brilliantly illuminated by many lamps.

The kirtan of holy names of Lord was going on continuously, and this went till the morning. This hunter was not able to sleep because of the sound of drums played in the kirtan. In this way, he observed this fast, unknowingly. Due to this, in his very next birth he was born as a great king endowed with may chariots, elephants, horses, and soldiers. His name was VasUratha, the son of King VidUratha, and he ruled over the kingdom of Jayanti for thousands of years. Later he attained the abode of Sri Visnu, Vaikuntha Loka.

Vasistha Muni says to king mandhata :

"Therefore, Oh King Mandhata," the venerable Vasishtha Muni concluded, anyone who observes this holy Amalakii EkAdasii will undoubtedly attain the supreme abode of Lord Vishnu, so great is the religious merit earned from the observance of this most sacred fast day."

Krsna Das
11 March 2010, 01:38 AM
PAPA-MOCHANI EKADASHI

Sri Yudhisthira MAharAja said, "I wish to hear about the EkAdasii that occurs during the dark fortnight of the month of Chaitra (March-April). What is its name, Oh Lord, and what results can one attain by observing it?" The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Sri Krishna, replied, "O best of kings, for the benefit of everyone I shall gladly describe to you the glories of this EkAdasii, which is known as PApamochanii. The history of this EkAdasii was once narrated to the Emperor MAndhAta by Lomasa Rishi. King MAndhAta addressed the rishi and asked the same question as you have asked today.

"Lomasa Rishi replied, "The EkAdasii that occurs during the dark part of the month of Chaitra is named PApamochanii EkAdasii. For the faithful devotee it removes the influences of ghosts and demons. Oh lion among men, this EkAdasii also awards the eight perfections of life, fulfils all kinds of desires, purifies one's life of all sinful reactions, and makes a person perfectly virtuous.

HISTORY:
Now please listen to a historical account concerning this EkAdasii and Chitraratha, the chief of the Gandharvas (heavenly musicians). During the spring season, in the company of heavenly dancing girls, Chitraratha once came upon a beautiful forest bursting forth with a great variety of flowers.A great sage named MedhAvi resided in that forest, and the very attractive dancing girls would always attempt to seduce him. One famous girl in particular, MaNjughoshA, contrived many ways to allure the exalted Muni, but out of great respect for the sage and feat of his power, which he had attained after years and years of ascetics, she would not come very close to him. At a spot two miles from the sage, she pitched a tent and began singing very sweetly as she played a tamboura. Seeing that he was highly intelligent and learned, wearing a clean white brahmana's thread draped across his shoulder, holding a sannyasi's staff, and sitting handsomely in the asrama of Chyavana Rishi, MaNjughoshA came before him.

She began to sing seductively, and the small bells of her belt and around her ankles, together with the bangles on her wrists, produced a delightful musical symphony. The sage MedhAvi was enchanted. he understood that this beautiful young woman desired union with him. Slowly MaNjughoshA approached MedhAvi, her bodily movements and sweet glances attracting him. She gracefully put her tamboura down and embraced the sage with her two arms, just as a creeper winds itself around a strong tree. Captivated, MedhAvi gave up his meditation and decided to sport with her - and instantly his purity of heart and mind abandoned him. Forgetting even the difference between night and day, he went away with her to sport for a long, long time. [MaNjughoshA stayed with MedhAvi for precisely fifty-seven years, nine months, and three days, but the Rishi was not aware that this much time has passed]

Seeing that the young yogi's sanctity had become seriously eroded, MaNjughoshA decided to abandon him and return home.MedhAvi replied, "O dear one, listen to me. Stay with me for one more night, and then you may leave tomorrow morning. Just stay with me until I have performed my morning duties and chanted the sacred GAyatri mantra. Please wait until then." MaNjughoshA was still fearful of the sage's great yogic power, but she forced a smile and said, "How long will it take you to finish your morning hymns and rituals? Please be merciful and think of all the time you have already spent with me."

The sage reflected on the years he had been with MaNjughoshA and then said with great astonishment. "Why, I have spent more than fifty-seven years with you!" His eyes turned red and began to emanate sparks. He now regarded MaNjughoshA as death personified and the destroyer of his spiritual life. "You rascal woman! You have turned all the hard-earned results of my austerities to ashes!" Trembling with anger, he cursed MaNjughoshA, "Oh sinful one, Oh hard-hearted, degraded one! You know only sin! May all terrible fortune by yours! Oh rascal woman, I curse you to become an evil hobgoblin - pishAcha!" Cursed by the age MedhAvi, the beautiful MaNjughoshA humbly beseeched him, "Oh best of the brAhmanas, please be merciful to me and revoke your curse! Oh great one, it is said that association with pure devotees gives immediate results but their curses take effect only after seven days. I have been with you for fifty-seven years, Oh master, so please be kind to me!" MedhAvi Muni replied, "Oh gentle lady what can I possibly do? You have destroyed all my austerities. But even though you have done this sinful deed, I shall tell you a way you can be released from my wrath. In the dark fortnight of the month of Chaitra there is an all-auspicious EkAdasii that removes all one's sins. Its name is PApamochanii, Oh beautiful one, and whoever fasts on this sacred day becomes completely freed from having to take birth in any kind of devilish form."

With these words, the sage left at once for his father's Ashrama. Seeing him enter the hermitage, Chyavana Muni said, "Oh son, by acting unlawfully you have squandered the wealth of your penances and austerities." Medhavi replied, "Oh Father, kindly reveal what atonement I must perform to remove the obnoxious sin I have incurred by privately associating with the dancing girl MaNjughoshA." Chyavana Muni answered, "Dear son, your atonement is also same, the one which you have prescribed to Manju-Ghosha."MedhAvi followed his father's advice and fasted on PApamochanii EkAdasii. Thus all his sins were destroyed and he again became filled with excellent merit. Similarly, MaNjughoshA observed the same fast and became free of the hobgoblin curse. Ascending once again to the heavenly spheres, she too returned to her former position.'

BENEFITS
Lomasha Rishi continued, 'Thus, Oh king, the great benefit of fasting on PApamochanii EkAdasii is that whoever does so with faith and devotion will have all his sins completely destroyed.' Sri Krishna concluded, "Oh King Yudhishthira, whoever reads or hears about PApamochanii EkAdasii obtains the very same merit he would get if he donated a thousand cows in charity, and he also nullifies the sinful reactions he may have incurred by killing a brAhmana, killing an embryo through abortion, drinking liquor, or having sex with his guru's wife. Such is the incalculable benefit of properly observing this holy day of PApamochanii EkAdasii, which is so dear to Me and so meritorious."

http://www.salagram.net/krsna-madhu.gif

devotee
11 March 2010, 02:48 AM
Namaste Krsna Das,

Thank you for a very good thread ! :)

I have some questions in my mind on Ekaadasi. I have done only one Ekaadasi in my life i.e. Nirjalaa Ekaadashi (also known as Bheemseni Ekaadasi) only once. I would like to start again. How should one start ? If one is not able to do all Ekaadasi, which Ekaadasis do you suggest to do as minimum ?

OM

Krsna Das
11 March 2010, 03:45 AM
Thanks devotee ji ! This thread was started by the divine order of Satay prabhu !

Well, Ideally, one should observe all the ekadashi fasts. But yes, there are times when one is not in that situation; also one has to keep his/her samarthya and working/home environment in mind.

So to begin with, I think one can start observing atleast one fast per month (There are two ekadashis in one month), and then later start following all the ekadashis when one is comfortable.

However, If one is not even in that situation, atleast Pandava ekadashi or Nirjala Ekadashi should be followed, with total fast from water, and one should remain in home or temple, fully occupied in bhajan and satsanga. If possible, jagran should be done during the night with Kirtan. If this one single fast is observed strictly, one gets the benifit of observing all the ekadashis in an year - I have heard this in Satsanga.

Radhe !

Krsna Das
25 March 2010, 10:25 AM
KAAMADA EKADASI

Kamada Ekadasi from the Varaha Purana. Sri Suta Goswami said, "Oh sages, let me offer my humble and respectful obeisances unto the Supreme Lord Hari, Bhagavan Sri Krishna, the son of Devaki and Vasudeva, by whose mercy I can describe the fast day that removes all kinds of sins. It was to the devoted Yudhisthira that Lord Krishna glorified the twenty-four primary Ekadasis, which destroy sin, and now I shall recount one of those narrations to you. Great-learned sages have selected these twenty-four narrations from the eighteen Puranas, for they are truly sublime.

"Yudhishthira Maharaja said, 'Oh Lord Krishna, Oh Vasudeva, please accept my humble obeisances. Please describe to me the Ekadasi that occurs during the light part of the month of Chaitra [March-April]. What is its name, and what are its glories?'

"Lord Sri Krishna replied, 'Oh Yudhishthira, please listen to Me attentively as I relate the ancient history of this sacred Ekadasi, a history Vasishtha Muni once related to King Dilipa, the great-grandfather of Lord Ramachandra.

"'King Dilipa asked the great sage Vasishtha, "Oh wise brahmana, I wish to hear about the Ekadasi that comes during the light part of the month of Chaitra. Please describe it to me."

"'Vasishtha Muni replied, "Oh king, your inquiry is glories. Gladly shall I tell you what you wish to know. The Ekadasi that occurs during the light fortnight of Chaitra is named Kamada Ekadasi. It consumes all sins, as a forest fire consumes a supply of dry firewood. It is very purifying, and it bestows the highest merit upon one who faithfully observes it. Oh king, now hear an ancient history which is so meritorious that it removes all one's sins simply by being heard.

"'"Once, long ago, there existed a city-state named Ratnapura, which was decorated with gold and jewels and in which sharp-fanged snakes would enjoy intoxication. King Pundarika was the ruler of this most beautiful kingdom, which numbered many Gandharvas, Kinnaras, and ApsarAs among its citizens.

"'"Among the Gandharvas were Lalita and his wife Lalita, who was an especially lovely dancer. These two were intensely attracted to each other, and their home was full of great wealth and fine food. LalitA loved her husband dearly, and likewise he constantly thought of her within his heart.

"'"Once, at the court of King Pundarika, many Gandharvas were dancing and Lalita was singing alone, without his wife. He could not help thinking about her as he sang, and because of this distraction he lost track of the song's meter and melody. Indeed, Lalita sang the ending of his song improperly, and one of the envious snakes who was in attendance at the king's court complained to the king that Lalita was absorbed in thinking of his wife instead of his sovereign. the king became furious upon hearing this, and his eyes turned crimson with rage. Suddenly he shouted, 'Oh foolish knave, because you were lustfully thinking of a woman instead of reverently thinking of your king as you performed your court duties, I curse you to at once become a cannibal!'

"'"Oh king, Lalita immediately became a fearful cannibal, a great man-eating demon whose appearance terrified everyone. His arms were eight miles long, his mouth was as big as a huge cave, his eyes were as awesome as the sun and moon, his nostrils resembled enormous pits in the earth, his neck was a veritable mountain, his hips were four miles wide, and his gigantic body stood a full sixty-four miles high. Thus poor Lalita, the loving Gandharva singer, had to suffer the reaction of his offense against King Pundarika. "'"Seeing her husband suffering as a horrible cannibal, LalitA became overwhelmed with grief. She thought, 'Now that my dear husband is suffering the effects of the kings' curse, what is to be my lot? What should I do? Where should I go?' In this way LalitA grieved day and night. Instead of enjoying life as a Gandharvas wife, she had to wander everywhere in the thick jungle with her monstrous husband, who had fallen completely under the spell of the king's curse and was wholly engaged in terrible sinful activities. He wandered fitfully across forbidding region, a once-beautiful Gandharva now reduced to the ghastly behaviour of a man-eater. Utterly distraught to see her dear husband suffer so much in his dreadful condition, LalitA began to cry as she followed his mad journeying.

"'"By good fortune, however, LalitA came upon the sage Shringi one day. He was sitting on the peak of the famous VindhyAchala Hill. Approaching him, she immediately offered the ascetic her respectful obeisances. The sage noticed her bowing down before him and said, 'Oh most beautiful one, who are you? Whose daughter are you, and why have you come here? Please tell me everything in truth.'

"'"LalitA replied, 'Oh great age, I am the daughter of the great Gandharva ViradhanvA, and my name is LalitA. I roam the forests and plains with my dear husband, whom King Pundarika has cursed to become a man-eating demon. Oh brAhmana, I am greatly aggrieved to see his ferocious form and terribly sinful activities. Oh master, please tell me how I can perform some act of atonement on behalf of my husband. What pious act can I perform to free him from this demonic form, Oh best of brAhmanas?'

“ ‘The sage replied, 'Oh heavenly maiden, there is an Ekadasi named Kamada that occurs in the light fortnight of the month of Chaitra. It is coming up soon. Whoever fasts on this day has all his desires fulfilled. If you observe this Ekadasi fast according to its rules and regulations and give the merit you thus earn to your husband, he will be freed from the curse at once.' LalitA was overjoyed to hear these words from the sage.

"'"Lalita faithfully observed the fast of Kamada Ekadasi according to the instructions of the sage Shringi, and on DvAdasi she appeared before him and the Deity of Lord VAsudeva and said, 'I have faithfully observed the fast of Kamada Ekadasi. By the merit earned through my observance of this fast, let my husband be free from the curse that has turned him into a demoniac cannibal. May the merit I have gained thus free him from misery.'

"'"As soon as LalitA finished speaking, her husband, who stood nearby, was at once freed from the king's curse. He immediately regained his original form as the Gandharva Lalita, a handsome heavenly singer adorned with many beautiful ornaments. Now, with his wife LalitA, he could enjoy even more opulence than before. All this was accomplished by the power and glory of Kamada Ekadasi. At last the Gandharva couple boarded a celestial airplane and ascended to heaven."'

"Lord Sri Krishna continued, 'Oh Yudhishthira, best of kings, anyone who hears this wonderful narration should certainly observe holy Kamada Ekadasi to the best of his ability, such great merit does it bestow upon the faithful devotee. I have therefore described its glories to you for the benefit of all humanity.

There is no better Ekadasi than Kamada Ekadasi. It can eradicate even the sin of killing a brAhmana, and it also nullifies demoniac curses and cleanses the consciousness. In all the three worlds, among movable and immovable living entities, there is no better day than this Kaamada Ekadasi'"