PDA

View Full Version : Devi Gita

shian
23 February 2010, 10:29 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kn8CpllDBTw/SfOEbb_MmbI/AAAAAAAAAEs/Sfor3DHw5e4/s400/TriDevi.jpg

DEVI BHAKTI

He who hears always My Glories and recites My Name and whose mind dwells always, like the incessant flow of oil, in Me Who is the receptacle of all auspicious qualities and Gunas. But he has not the least trace of any desire to get the fruits of his Karma; yea he does not want Sāmīpya, Sārsti, Sāyujya, and Sālokya and other forms of liberations! He becomes filled with devotion for Me alone, worships Me only; knows nothing higher than to serve Me and he does not want final liberation even. He does not like to forsake this idea of Sevya (to he served) and Sevaka (servant who serves). He always meditates on Me with constant vigilance and actuated by a feeling of Supreme Devotion; he does not think himself separate from Me but rather thinks himself "that I am the Bhagavatī." He considers all the Jīvas as Myself and loves Me as he loves himself. He does not make any difference between the Jīvas and myself as he finds the same Chaitanya everywhere and mainfested in all. He does not quarrel with anybody as he has abandoned all ideas about separateness; he bows down, and worships the Chāndālas and all the Jīvas. He who becomes filled with devotion to Me whenever he sees My place, My devotees, and hears the Sāstras, describing My deeds, and whenever he meditates on My Mantras, he becomes filled with the highest love and his hairs stand on their ends out of love to Me and tears of love flow incessantly from both his eyes; he recites My name and My deeds in a voice, choked with feelings of love for Me. [N. B.--The Parā Prema Bhakti is like the maddening rush of a river to the Ocean; thence in the shape of vapour to the highest; Himālayān Mountain peaks to be congealed into snow where various plays of bright colours take place.]

21-30. O Lord of the mountains! He worships Me with intense feeling as the Mothee of this Universe and the Cause of all causes. He performs the daily and occasional duties and all My vows and sacrifices without showing any miserly feeling in his expenditure of money. He naturally longs to perform My festivities and to visit places where My Utsabs are held. He sings My name loudly and dances, being intoxicated with My love, and has no idea of egoism and is devoid of his body-idea, thinking that the body is not his. He thinks that whatever is Prārabdha (done in his previoas lives) must come to pass and therefore does not become agitated as to the preservation of his body and soul. This sort of Bhakti is called the Parā Bhakti or the Highest Devotion. Here the

p. 730
predominent idea is the idea of the Devī and no other idea takes its place. O Mountain! He gets immediately dissolved in My Nature of Consciousness whose heart is really filled with such Parā Bhakti or All Love. The sages call the limiting stage of this devotion and dispassion as Jńāna (knowledge). When this Jńāna arises, Bhakti and dispassion get their ends satisfied. Yea! He goes then to the Mani Dvīpa, when his Ahamkāra does not crop up by his Prārabdba Karma, though he did not fail to give up his life in devotion. O Mountain! That man enjoys there all the objects of enjoymerits, though unwilling and at the end of the period, gets the knowledge of My Consciousness. By that he attains the Final Liberation for ever. Withqut this Jńāna, the Final Liberation is impossible.

Devi Gita

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/dg/index.htm

wcrow
25 February 2010, 03:02 PM
Thankyou for this. I have been meaning to optain a copy of the Devi Gita after reading it online, would you suggest a particular translation?

I found this one on amazon :http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devi-Gita-Translation-Annotation-Commentary/dp/0791439402/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267131578&sr=8-2

It has a commentry - do you think this is a neccessary or reccomendable thing to read to understand the text?

Thanks,

Wilfred.

Edit: I noticed your signature, and I wondered what it means - if you wouldn't mind, could you please tell me.

ramprasad
24 September 2010, 08:20 PM
Thank you!