PDA

View Full Version : Eggs

Einherjar
26 February 2010, 05:30 PM
So, lately I've been trying to decide if I'm comfortable eating eggs still. I figure the regular, industrial farmed eggs that most people buy are produced by hens in less than pleasant conditions and there very well is a chance that those animals are suffering to provide people with said eggs.

But on the other hand, it is possible to buy free range eggs that are produced by hens that are in more or less natural conditions and are not kept in cages. Personally, I'm feeling like if the egg is unfertilized and free range then its acceptable for consumption.

I'm just curious as to what other people here feel about this topic. Trying to see if there's an argument against it that holds validity to me, personally, that I've somehow overlooked? I'm looking forward to any insights you all provide. Thanks.

Eastern Mind
26 February 2010, 05:59 PM
Einjerhar: I personally don't eat eggs for the same reasons as meat. But there are other views. It is himsa.

Aum Namasivaya

Einherjar
26 February 2010, 06:39 PM
Well, EM, I did some reading to try to refute your statement that eating of eggs is himsa. However, I am apparently still somewhat naive. I don't know how I didn't know this, but apparently after about 12 months, egg laying hens stop producing eggs and are promptly slaughtered.

So while I guess the act of eating an unfertilized egg itself is ahimsa, by buying the product and encouraging the practices of poultry farmers and supporting their business of killing the hens it would be himsa.

Ekanta
26 February 2010, 07:50 PM
Short answer... there is another reason:
The mind is made of food, chandogya upanishad explains this.
The food is threefold: sattva, rajas, tamas.
I'm rather sure eggs fall into the rajas category, i.e. it will agitate the mind.

Hiwaunis
26 February 2010, 10:28 PM
So, lately I've been trying to decide if I'm comfortable eating eggs still. I figure the regular, industrial farmed eggs that most people buy are produced by hens in less than pleasant conditions and there very well is a chance that those animals are suffering to provide people with said eggs.

But on the other hand, it is possible to buy free range eggs that are produced by hens that are in more or less natural conditions and are not kept in cages. Personally, I'm feeling like if the egg is unfertilized and free range then its acceptable for consumption.

I'm just curious as to what other people here feel about this topic. Trying to see if there's an argument against it that holds validity to me, personally, that I've somehow overlooked? I'm looking forward to any insights you all provide. Thanks.

Pranam,
This is just my personal opinion. Being that I am a female and I carry eggs, I don't eat eggs because I wouldn't want anyone eating my unborn children.

But, ask yourself these questions. Why are you considering eating or not eating eggs? Are you or are you not on the path of self-realization? Depending on your answers to these questions follow the guidance of the masters.

Namaste,

Einherjar
27 February 2010, 03:03 AM
Pranam,
This is just my personal opinion. Being that I am a female and I carry eggs, I don't eat eggs because I wouldn't want anyone eating my unborn children.

But, ask yourself these questions. Why are you considering eating or not eating eggs? Are you or are you not on the path of self-realization? Depending on your answers to these questions follow the guidance of the masters.

Namaste,

I also doubt they would be very filling... Lol, sorry. I'm a master of bad jokes. Eggs are a natural occurance though. And even if they are unfertilized, a hen will still lay them. It's not an actual life-form until it is fertilized. Eggs are discarded when they are not fertilized. Look at the mamallian female reproductive system. My reason for wondering was I did not know how many people who are vegetarians feel about this subject. I'm new to vegetarianism and I'm trying to figure out my diet because before I was inspired to do this a few weeks ago I never even considered it [vegetarianism] before. Eggs are a convenient (and delicious) source of protein.

ScottMalaysia
27 February 2010, 08:35 PM
My wife and I didn't eat eggs for over a year (I'm not counting the time when I accidentally ate some in fried rice that was supposed to be egg-free). However, we decided to eat them again after I talked to a man at the temple. He was a Gujarati vegetarian, and he said that him and his wife eat eggs in things like biscuits and cakes (I'm assuming they don't eat fried/scrambled/boiled/poached eggs because they're Indian and these are Western dishes).

Believe me, eating eggs makes your life much easier. If you don't eat eggs, you need to get special vegetarian cakes (we had to drive to a suburb 20 mins out of the city to get a vegetarian cake for my wife's birthday). There are many biscuits and chocolate products (like Mars and Snickers bars) that you can't eat if you're lacto-vegetarian.

You're right - eggs are not a life form until they are fertilized, and that never happens in farms where eggs are produced. If you're going to buy eggs, as well as staying away from the "cage eggs", look up the brands of free range eggs on the Internet. In New Zealand, there is no strict legal definition of "free range" and many "free range eggs" come from chickens with clipped beaks.

smaranam
27 February 2010, 09:11 PM
Eggs are a convenient (and delicious) source of protein.

Namaste

Its wonderful that you are being vegetarian in the first place.

About eggs - its your personal choice, what you are comfortable with.

However, if a convenient and delicious source of protein is all there is to it, then so are

- scrambled Tofu on toast ?[/B]
- lentils - (soups, stew, dry side)
- chick peas - have you ever considered a chick-pea and fruit breakfast ?
- legumes
- sprouted beans, legumes in delicious chilli-like recipies or just sauted, salted,
boiled, steamed..... (black-eye peas are Sattvic, but there are others - red kidney, navy, green mung, masoor - lentil sprouts ... )
- whole grains - cracked wheat bulgar makes good cereal/porridge like oatmeal, barley ....

Grains and Legumes , and a lot more - a Whole Foods Site :
http://www.mannaharvest.net/-c-1188.html?osCsid=61ac03226cfbc70a4b00bc34556b0791

Eggs are tAmasic - rAjasic for you, and it means supporting the poultry industry. I don't know what happens to free range chickens later, but this has to come from you.

Whenever you want to try new substitutes - the choices are plenty.

Perhaps we can have a recipe-sharing thread.

All the best :)

Einherjar
28 February 2010, 06:15 PM
Namaste

Its wonderful that you are being vegetarian in the first place.

About eggs - its your personal choice, what you are comfortable with.

However, if a convenient and delicious source of protein is all there is to it, then so are

- scrambled Tofu on toast ?[/b]
- lentils - (soups, stew, dry side)
- chick peas - have you ever considered a chick-pea and fruit breakfast ?
- legumes
- sprouted beans, legumes in delicious chilli-like recipies or just sauted, salted,
boiled, steamed..... (black-eye peas are Sattvic, but there are others - red kidney, navy, green mung, masoor - lentil sprouts ... )
- whole grains - cracked wheat bulgar makes good cereal/porridge like oatmeal, barley ....

Grains and Legumes , and a lot more - a Whole Foods Site :
http://www.mannaharvest.net/-c-1188.html?osCsid=61ac03226cfbc70a4b00bc34556b0791

Eggs are tAmasic - rAjasic for you, and it means supporting the poultry industry. I don't know what happens to free range chickens later, but this has to come from you.

Whenever you want to try new substitutes - the choices are plenty.

Perhaps we can have a recipe-sharing thread.

All the best :)

That's a good idea. Thanks. I think I'm going to keep eating them for now. We'll see where I get to later. I'm trying not to be too much of a nazi with myself over it, because I figure if I make it too hard in the beginning then I'm more likely to break down and just give up.

I'm also still learning various vegetarian recipes as I'd never really known of any before this. I've had some lentils and a little bit of tofu. I'm still trying to explore and find things I like though.

Also, Scott, there's no regulations on what denotes "free-range" eggs in the US either. Apparently there are regulations for "organic" eggs though. I'll have to see how much they cost as I'm not sure if it's a viable alternative with my current financial situation.

Krsna Das
03 March 2010, 06:44 AM
One can eat anything and everything which can be offered to the dieties in the temple. (prasadam)

[ http://vedabase.net/bg/3/13/en ]

ravrajsharma
04 March 2010, 06:32 PM
Excellent point Krsna Das,

Can we fry an egg and use it for naivedam??? What will it look like even if the fertility issues are taken in consideration??? If a bacteria is found that develops into a full grown chicken, will it be safe for vegetarians to consume that.

I have some friends who licked the cream off a cake and generalise that there in no egg in it, lol. But later i found out that egg is not such a vital exclusion from a vegetarian diet. Even some restaurants put a fried egg on top of their "vegetarian fried rice".

In my opinion an egg eater can not be classed a vegetarian.

;)
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/image.php?u=1529&dateline=1265403444 (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/member.php?u=1529)Krsna Das (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/member.php?u=1529)

smaranam
09 March 2010, 08:25 AM
Excellent point Krsna Das,

Can we fry an egg and use it for naivedam??? What will it look like even if the fertility issues are taken in consideration??? If a bacteria is found that develops into a full grown chicken, will it be safe for vegetarians to consume that.

....In my opinion an egg eater can not be classed a vegetarian.

Namaste

I agree, eggs are far far from vegetarian.
However, we have to be gentler on those who have recently made vegetarianism as a goal. If they want to do it in steps.

We don't say they are veg, and even suggest offering to the Lord !

We keep supplying them with alternative goodies so they will not even notice that eggs have disappeared from the menu entirely. That's the trick :)

NetiNeti
07 April 2010, 12:43 PM
The egg is liquid flesh and unfit for consumption.

I agree that we must allow people to become vegetarian in steps. The best way is to give goodies made without eggs and win them over,

Einherjar
07 April 2010, 02:24 PM

I agree that we must allow people to become vegetarian in steps. The best way is to give goodies made without eggs and win them over,

Just let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to tell you that you should eat eggs and that it's ok for you.

But your statement is blatantly incorrect. An egg yolk+germinal disc is one cell which has the purpose of feeding a developing embryo. While the egg white is provided as protection for the yolk.

Without fertilization there is no embryo. No life. It IS NOT the same as eating the body of an animal. It's food for a lifeform that could, upon fertilization, develop in that space.

How is that different from a Cow producing milk for it's infant? Should people not drink milk since it comes from an animal and feeds a baby cow? And not eat butter or cream for the same reasons?

Whether or not it is fit for consumption is another issue, and you're more than entitled to your opinions on that. But please make better arguments for it than "It is liquid flesh" because it is not.

NetiNeti
07 April 2010, 03:08 PM
Just let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to tell you that you should eat eggs and that it's ok for you.

But your statement is blatantly incorrect. An egg yolk+germinal disc is one cell which has the purpose of feeding a developing embryo. While the egg white is provided as protection for the yolk.

Without fertilization there is no embryo. No life. It IS NOT the same as eating the body of an animal. It's food for a lifeform that could, upon fertilization, develop in that space.

How is that different from a Cow producing milk for it's infant? Should people not drink milk since it comes from an animal and feeds a baby cow? And not eat butter or cream for the same reasons?

Whether or not it is fit for consumption is another issue, and you're more than entitled to your opinions on that. But please make better arguments for it than "It is liquid flesh" because it is not.

I can see your point as valid. I guess I see "potential" life in the egg and that is why I do not eat it. I liken it to abortion, it is robbing the egg of the opportunity to live.

Einherjar
07 April 2010, 03:40 PM
I can see your point as valid. I guess I see "potential" life in the egg and that is why I do not eat it. I liken it to abortion, it is robbing the egg of the opportunity to live.

I respect that. Though I would argue it is more akin to chicken period than abortion (chickens will lay eggs whether they are fertilized or not... but I think that has been said in this thread already). Though there are people out there that eat fertilized eggs that have chicken embryos in them, and I think likening THAT to abortion is much more logical.

smaranam
11 April 2010, 03:16 PM
Namaste

1. Eggs are tAmasic - rAjasic

2. Buying eggs means supporting the poultry industry
Because first, even if the eggs are assumed to be not fertilized , the more eggs taken away from the hen, the more eggs she will lay. The hen keeps laying eggs because they are taken away from her.

3. Even if one argues that free range chickens are treated better than in the large scale poultry, why are they bred ?

Einherjar
12 April 2010, 06:28 PM
Namaste
2. Buying eggs means supporting the poultry industry
Because first, even if the eggs are assumed to be not fertilized , the more eggs taken away from the hen, the more eggs she will lay. The hen keeps laying eggs because they are taken away from her.

This is incorrect. Hens continue laying eggs because it's part of their menstrual cycle. Please make sure you have your facts straight before making wild assertions. Thanks.

smaranam
13 April 2010, 08:03 AM
Namaste dear Einherjar

I was adding to your conversation of egg facts with NetiNeti, and not trying to impose any idea of ethics.
This is just info for the thread.

What i mentioned earlier was from memory of this :

A Krshna devotee said : "the chicken will not produce more eggs if we stop taking them away from her. She thinks its her babies and every time she tries to have one they end up missing. When the eggs are left with the chicken the chicken stop rapidly producing them."

I have asked him for the source of this, as he is very sincere and thorough while giving info.

------------

More quotes from the internet

Chickens don't lay so many eggs if you don't remove them. They only lay so many eggs to replace the ones that have been stolen.

About infertile eggs : As long as the eggs are collected every day, the hens will continue to lay more eggs. But if a hen is allowed to amass a threshold number of eggs (a clutch?) she will stop producing, whether they are fertilized or not.

--------

http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/frequentlyasked.html
What is 'broody' ?
You see, if you want a chicken that lays a lot of eggs for eating, you don't want one that still has the instinct to stop laying eggs and sit on her eggs all the time.  You want one that has had all the broody instincts bred out of her so she'll lay for you year-round.  So farmers over the years have raised up what are known as utility breeds; chickens that don't go broody and that lay almost all year 'round.

--------------

And to answer the qn "Will a fried egg be naivedyam ?" - No, because it is utterly non-sAttvic, far from it, and KRSNa/BhagavAn does not accept such things.

Einherjar
13 April 2010, 05:45 PM
Namaste dear Einherjar

I was adding to your conversation of egg facts with NetiNeti, and not trying to impose any idea of ethics.
This is just info for the thread.

What i mentioned earlier was from memory of this :

A Krshna devotee said : "the chicken will not produce more eggs if we stop taking them away from her. She thinks its her babies and every time she tries to have one they end up missing. When the eggs are left with the chicken the chicken stop rapidly producing them."

I have asked him for the source of this, as he is very sincere and thorough while giving info.

------------

More quotes from the internet

Chickens don't lay so many eggs if you don't remove them. They only lay so many eggs to replace the ones that have been stolen.

About infertile eggs : As long as the eggs are collected every day, the hens will continue to lay more eggs. But if a hen is allowed to amass a threshold number of eggs (a clutch?) she will stop producing, whether they are fertilized or not.

--------

http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/frequentlyasked.html
What is 'broody' ?
You see, if you want a chicken that lays a lot of eggs for eating, you don't want one that still has the instinct to stop laying eggs and sit on her eggs all the time. You want one that has had all the broody instincts bred out of her so she'll lay for you year-round. So farmers over the years have raised up what are known as utility breeds; chickens that don't go broody and that lay almost all year 'round.

--------------

And to answer the qn "Will a fried egg be naivedyam ?" - No, because it is utterly non-sAttvic, far from it, and KRSNa/BhagavAn does not accept such things.

Apologies if my last post was a little snappy. I was having kind of a rough day.

I think the real question would be if the eggs are fertilized and hatched, will the hen continue to lay them after those chicks are born? I'm not sure about a hen being able to consciously choose to lay eggs.

I'm well aware that eggs are not sattvic food and I'm really not trying to say they are. But if people are so adamantly against them that they put it on the same level as abortion, I'm kind of curious why. Because the fact does remain that it is a natural phenomenon and you're not directly harming a life form by consuming them so long as they are not fertilized.

smaranam
13 April 2010, 06:17 PM
Apologies if my last post was a little snappy. I was having kind of a rough day.
Namaste

No need to apologize - i don't see any snappy,
I was also just letting you know that that line was only FYI and i was not suggesting life is directly harmed.

I think the real question would be if the eggs are fertilized and hatched, will the hen continue to lay them after those chicks are born?
The above quotes answer precisely that. Its called brooding instinct. Hens don't keep on giving away nutrition (eggs) on their own.
But that is not our topic, as we are talking about hens bred to give infertile eggs - or we assume they are infertile. Fertile or not, after a clutch they prefer to stop.

I'm not sure about a hen being able to consciously choose to lay eggs.
This is what is called the brooding instinct - quote above. After a clutch is ready, they [try to] incubate them (fertile or not doesn't matter - the hen cannot tell).

I'm well aware that eggs are not sattvic food and I'm really not trying to say they are.
That was to answer Sharmaji's post #11 - assuming the eggs are indeed without embryo

But if people are so adamantly against them that they put it on the same level as abortion, I'm kind of curious why.
You know it wasn't me who said that, but this will be the case in natural setting or when hens are bred to actually reproduce as chicks - so female chicks replace the older hens. Otherwise, in case of industrial poultry, eggs that go to the market usually have no embryo as there is no rooster.

Because the fact does remain that it is a natural phenomenon and you're not directly harming a life form by consuming them so long as they are not fertilized.

Yes, you are right - in case of utility breeds and farmed poultry. Only that the phenomenon is not natural when the hen has to lay 300 eggs a yr. That is all those quotes tell us. Not saying its abortion.

Hope that helps :)

LALKAR
14 April 2010, 11:42 AM

I do not agree with this stupid quote, egg is made of blood and flesh so it is indeed liquid flesh

Cow's calf can drink milk of breast only, and not from body. Thats why in Hinduism, calf is allowed to drink milk first, after it human can use rest of milk. We cannot call it stealing, it is made by ॐ for us neturally,Thats why Hinduism calls 'gao vishvasy matar' गौ विश्वस्य मातर,

If you eat egg it's your personal stupidity, don't try to compare milk with it

We can use milk products as prasadam too, but not egg products.
Even Lord Krishan was milkaholic, butterholic but a strict vegitrain, He knows everything, there nothing come as cow or their calf ever opposed

Beaf eaters had compared milk with beaf, it has become their wit that what you said, and many are following it by urging others to avoid milk, never mind only those who do not belive in Lord Krishan and Hinduism will agree with it

Even Devtas drink milk from Kamdhenu, does this ever point that it was for her daughter Nandini only ? No Nandini's share was from breast only rest was for all Dharmik

smaranam
14 April 2010, 02:16 PM
Namaste

Just one clarification. In the western countries, some people have become vegan, not because of comparing milk to meat (- yes , comparing milk with eggs is off the mark).

They are vegan because of the industrial practices of dairy. Some of them believe in Lord Krshna and Hinduism too. Like Krshna is watching me- a vegan - type this. The Go-Matas came by one day and said "You don't have to do this. Please take our milk." And I told them "You are already providing milk for everyone, and i shall also consume milk products occasionally, but violence to you and yours i cannot ignore"

Facts on Eggs and Dairy (In the West) (http://www.ivu.org/faq/eggsdairy.html)

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-vegetarian-eggs.htm

Einherjar
14 April 2010, 03:18 PM
I do not agree with this stupid quote, egg is made of blood and flesh so it is indeed liquid flesh

Cow's calf can drink milk of breast only, and not from body. Thats why in Hinduism, calf is allowed to drink milk first, after it human can use rest of milk. We cannot call it stealing, it is made by ॐ for us neturally,Thats why Hinduism calls 'gao vishvasy matar' गौ विश्वस्य मातर,

If you eat egg it's your personal stupidity, don't try to compare milk with it

We can use milk products as prasadam too, but not egg products.
Even Lord Krishan was milkaholic, butterholic but a strict vegitrain, He knows everything, there nothing come as cow or their calf ever opposed

Beaf eaters had compared milk with beaf, it has become their wit that what you said, and many are following it by urging others to avoid milk, never mind only those who do not belive in Lord Krishan and Hinduism will agree with it

Even Devtas drink milk from Kamdhenu, does this ever point that it was for her daughter Nandini only ? No Nandini's share was from breast only rest was for all Dharmik

I don't appreciate you bringing insults into the conversation, I did not insult anyone who chooses not to eat eggs so I would expect a similar respect for my views. You don't have to agree with it, but saying I'm stupid is a little out of line.

LALKAR
15 April 2010, 10:02 AM
I am not insulting anybody, but you were using the wit of beaf eaters who link beaf with milk for justifying themselves as they eat beaf and hindus drink milk. There is no logic this is pure stupidity (this is not for you or any individual)

Eastern Mind
15 April 2010, 12:42 PM
Vannakkam all:

I don't eat eggs for same reasons as others expressed. You can never tell (with absolute certainty) if an egg is fertilized or not until you crack it open. I also understand how eggs (and fish) are used in the transition state from meat-eating to vegetarianism.

Then also its not just about being able to replenish for milk. Blood is also replenished, and some African tribals use it as a source of food. Hindus certainly don't and wouldn't.

Ultimately, its how the individual FEELS about it. I personally FEEL like eggs are meat, and I certainly don't miss them as even a s a western kid raised in a beef - eating culture, I couldn't stand eggs.

Aum Namasivaya

Einherjar
15 April 2010, 12:55 PM
I am not insulting anybody, but you were using the wit of beaf eaters who link beaf with milk for justifying themselves as they eat beaf and hindus drink milk. There is no logic this is pure stupidity (this is not for you or any individual)

I did not connect beef with milk. I connected eggs with milk as both are produced on the presumption of reproduction and feeding either an embryo or calf and neither cause direct harm to a living being.

There's a pretty big difference between that and connecting something that involves slaughtering a living being to eat with drinking an animal product that does not cause a life to end. That, I agree, is completely illogical.

Sahasranama
03 May 2010, 02:01 PM
Buying eggs stimulates the slaughter of hens, that's true. In the same way, buying milk stimulates the slaughter of calves. Milk is pure sattva, egg is rajas/tamas, but ethically there is not much difference from drinking milk.

Eastern Mind
03 May 2010, 05:44 PM
Buying eggs stimulates the slaughter of hens, that's true. In the same way, buying milk stimulates the slaughter of calves. Milk is pure sattva, egg is rajas/tamas, but ethically there is not much difference from drinking milk.

Vannakkam Sahasranama:

Welcome to these forums. Good to see you jumping right in.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
03 May 2010, 10:16 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté sagasranama

In the same way, buying milk stimulates the slaughter of calves.

How so? I surely am missing something here. Isn't buying of milk stimulating the notion of more milk?

praṇām

Einherjar
04 May 2010, 02:33 AM
Well, in the west at least... what do you think they do with cows who no longer can produce milk?

Sahasranama
04 May 2010, 07:19 AM
They are used for hamburger meat, because the quality of the flesh of milk cows is very poor to use for anything else. In the west, milk cows have to produce ten times more milk than they would naturally do. The male calves are byproducts of milk cows, they are taken away at their birth and killed for their meat only after a few months. This veil meat is very popular in western countries. The cows are kept artificially pregnant, so they can keep producing milk.

http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming_Cows_Dairy.asp

Sahasranama
23 April 2011, 06:26 AM
Message I recieved from the Eastern Bunny:

Some videos of the eggs industry, footage of what happens to the male chicks that which are useless for egg production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ--faib7to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=NL&hl=nl&v=6v_I9fnDbTs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=NL&hl=nl&v=cGJryC4XIdo

Jamie Olivier shows how chicks die (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahdehP9QLL8)

Fowlplay Movie (http://www.fowlplaymovie.com/)

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/easter-bunny-400x400.jpg

Sādhaka
24 April 2011, 03:40 AM
I myself had to eat cake many times :( Couldn't avoid it. Otherwise I'm strictly vegetarian, and I try to avoid cakes (with eggs) too.

nitinsharma
24 April 2011, 03:57 AM
I myself had to eat cake many times :( Couldn't avoid it. Otherwise I'm strictly vegetarian, and I try to avoid cakes (with eggs) too.

Exactly the reason why I stopped eating cakes altogether.Not worth the risk.

Eastern Mind
24 April 2011, 07:21 AM
Vannakkam: There are many eggless cake recipes available. That's what we do, when the desire arises. The only place I ate cake with eggs for some 20 years was at my dear mother-in-laws house before she passed. So you can have your cake, just be careful.

For recipes, a simple search on eggless cake will turn up many.

Aum Namasivaya

PARAM
24 April 2011, 09:57 AM

I buy cakes only from those who are strict vegetarian, or those who are trusted. But now I eat only home made cake, and it is most trusted.

You can also bake cake in home, need recipe ?

Sādhaka
24 April 2011, 10:02 PM
Namaste,

I'm actually not that fond of cakes, but I've had to eat some when I attended some celebrations/events etc.:(

Now I'm keeping it quite strict though :)

OM

Harinama
01 May 2011, 09:54 AM
When I was a strict Gaudiya Vaishnava and in my relationship with my boyfriend (who also happened to be a staunch Gaudiya Vaishnava from birth), for two years of being with him, I would cook everything at home.

Especially living in a place where there is a large Indian diaspora as well as he yoga health movement, it's not too hard to find egg-free cakes, and it tastes much better if you can bake your own! :)

I used to love making egg-free pastries; pies, cookies, and cakes. :)

I baked my own, and they're not so bad, especially when you frost them. :D It's easier to just make little cupcakes, and offer them to the Lord instead, and it's better for calorie counting! :rolleyes: Thus my egg-replacer comes in handy many a time when I'm baking.

You do not need to eat eggs when you can get your protein from delicious paneer; you can make paneer sabji, paneer steaks (tomato-paste, soy sauce, hing, and spices... cut your paneer into steakish pieces, fry in ghee or oil, and then when sufficiently browned, add in your BBQ sauce mixture until thickened).

You can also get delicious protein in lentils and chickpea flour, and make pakoras and chickpea 'roti' as a snack with chatni.

And don't forget a hearty bean and vegetable chili!

Just don't forget to offer it to the Lord before eating... :)

Jaya Sri Krishna!

PARAM
02 May 2011, 11:10 AM
-----------------

I have gone to many celebrations but I rejected eating cake which were not egg less, and I never eat non veg, I always take care, you can do it too, who can force to eat, it is you who can eat and reject the tamsic product. Keep your strict through.

----------------------

:)

renuka
04 May 2011, 04:46 AM
Regarding eggs..the ones from the farm are technically not fertilized hence there is no loss of life here but then again the hens are kept in cramped up cages are unable to even stand their whole life..thats the reason why I dont eat eggs either.
And for those who are keen on Sattvik food then its better to omit eggs cos its comes under Rajasic food.
The choice is finally ours..as even though I am a vegetarian i feel being veg is not enough to qualify as a good person but no harm friendly to animals and avoid eating them.

Harinama
04 May 2011, 10:09 AM
Well, not only to not eat meat, fish or eggs.. but I also offer all my food to the Lord as prasadam. I can not do it formally at the moment since I live with two meat-eating roommates, but as soon as I move out in the next few months, I shall be able to do so once again. :D

Jaya Prasadam!

Jainarayan
09 June 2011, 09:34 AM
I don't know what happens to free range chickens later

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastured_poultry#Free-Range_Poultry

Combined with proper aging after slaughter the meat is tender and flavorful.

Jainarayan
09 June 2011, 09:40 AM

All hen birds will lay eggs, even in the absence of a male. They will even lay them in the presence of a male of another species, with which they could not even produce a viable embryo. It's simply a biological and hormonal action.

That's how egg farms get hens to produce eggs. Their biological cycles are manipulated so they produce eggs. Now, that in itself may be considered ahimsa because it's disurbing, or forcing a biologic function.

sarangi dasi
12 June 2011, 04:49 AM

yes, I agree with this.

Scientifically (biologically) speaking the bird egg is either an unfertilised womb&ovum or a (fertilised) womb&foetus that is EXTERNAL to the creature unlike in most mammals where it is within the animal.

The argument that a bird egg is NOT liquid flesh if it does not have an embryo is invalid. A human womb is still flesh even if it does not contain an embryo.

The argument that an unfertilised egg is not a living thing is valid but it is not an argument that is salient to vegetarianism that eschews flesh products. You could use the same type of argument to say that a dead rabbit found beside the highway is not a living thing and OK to eat it because you were not involved in violence to obtain it. The same type of argument may be applied to the products of the female menstruation but does that make it vegetarian?

I apologise if my coverage of these points may cause some aesthetic discomfort for some. However every time I see an egg being boiled or beaten I cannot help feeling a deep distaste for the sight of such treatment to a foetus or womb&ovum complex.

Thus this post supports a logical, scientific observation and also records an aesthetic or subjective response to it.