PDA

View Full Version : Feeding the mind

Eastern Mind
27 February 2010, 12:59 PM
Vannakkam:

We use our self control or will to decide on what to feed the body. Most of us are vegetarian in one way or another. But when do we stop and consider what goes into our minds? We can use the same will power and self control to give our minds a healthy balanced info diet as well. We feed it with television, books, discussions. Periods of silence or meditation could be likened to fasting. Many experience information overload, which could be likened to a gluttonous feast, I suppose.

Thoughts?

Aum Namasivaya

Einherjar
27 February 2010, 03:01 PM
That is an interesting point. Personally, though, I've noticed since I've begun taking my spirituality more seriously I don't seem to get the same satisfaction out of other "mental food" as I used to. Time where I'd normally be zoning out in front of the TV is spent either meditating or reading (currently working my way through a selection of about 1/10 of the Rig Veda along with some Buddhism stuff for a comparative religions class I'm taking).

The weird thing is I haven't even been actively avoiding other less fulfilling activities. It just kind of happened.

Eastern Mind
27 February 2010, 03:55 PM
It just kind of happened.

Welcome to Hinduism. lolhttp://www.hindudharmaforums.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Go along, be at peace. Speak less. Think less. Give ego to God. Then it just kind of happens.

Aum Namasivaya

Einherjar
27 February 2010, 05:04 PM
Well thanks for the formal welcome! Haha. :)