PDA

View Full Version : Conducting worship in a rented apartment

ScottMalaysia
06 March 2010, 01:29 AM
My wife and I managed to secure an apartment today. The priest is coming on Wednesday to bless it before we move in and life there. In the tenancy agreement, it says that we're not allowed to bring in anything that would void the landlord's fire insurance policy. My wife thinks that this referse to Arati lamps. So I have a couple of questions.

1) If you are renting a place in a non-Hindu country, do you offer Arati with oil, camphor and ghee lamps?
2) What rituals can be substituted for the lamp?
3) Is it possible to create an electric arati lamp with a battery and bulbs, and would touching the bulbs after they've been offered have the same effect?

I bitterly resent this policy and feel that the landlords are being discriminatory by not allowing me to practice my religion (a right guaranteed by the Bill of Rights Act). I didn't ask them about it because I didn't want them to tell us that we couldn't rent it. But how should I conduct worship if they won't let us use a lamp?

Also, should an altar face the front door? I know that Chinese altars do, but I don't know about Hindu altars.

sambya
06 March 2010, 03:48 AM
why , you can use incense instead . although it is also related to fire but its far less risky than proper fire itself . incense arati is also common in india .

bulbs are not a substitute to the original fire . its like offering plastic tulsi to lord if you cant get real tulsi leaves !!! its better to concentrate on things that you can readily afforde .

for example give you lord a nice abhishekam with scented water . arrange nice naivedyams for him . get him some fresh tulsi or bel leaves , or some flowers etc ....

door has nothing to do with positioning of home alter as per my knowledge.

hari om

Ganeshprasad
06 March 2010, 05:59 AM
Pranam

Well having lived in the west for long time, owning my own house,taking out insurance policy I have never had the Arti as a specific exclusion.

Think this way, if it were the case candles which readily available in the shop would not be on sell or for that matter Matches, are also a fire risk. Common sense dictates if the Arti is in ones control it can not be construed as fire risk that is my opinion may be you can check with insurer. Off course if you were to leave it unattended that is a different matter. Make sure just use enough ghee to last the Arti and the flame small. Your landlord is probably more concerned about smoke affecting the décor.

On the subject of alter I think deities facing the east is the best, I could be wrong on that. Sambya ji has covered the rest

Jai Shree Krishna

Eastern Mind
06 March 2010, 06:55 AM
Vannakkam Scott:

Surely the lighting of a kuthavillakku or small aarti waving is no different than a candle. But one could demonstrate, then if the landlord disagrees, take them to court. The main cause of fires is smoking I believe.

I can see why homas or havans would be banned. Even them I've done them in my house. You just use common sense. Some places still have gas stoves. Now those things are dangerous. We had a piece of cloth light one day.

Best wishes in your new place, BTW.

Aum Namasivaya

upsydownyupsy mv ss
10 April 2010, 05:45 AM
:Roll::laugh::Roll: sorry for the laughter and no offense. This is how a bhakti yogi would think and say.
The best Puja is Bhakti!
The best flower is Bhakti!
The best yagynya is Bhakti!
The best abhishekam is Bhakti!
The best Tapas is Bhakti!
The best Mantra is Bhakti!
Bhakti is the only path that I know to salvation. Bhakti is god himself.
Bhakti(=Shakti=Goddess Kaali) is god (=Purusha = Shiva)
Bhakti is Shiva Shakti. Offer god to god. time to time. Universe to universe, Love to love. Hope you get it.
I'm not saying pujas are waste of time. They indeed help us. But, when there are vignas (obstacles) offer Bhakti as puja as it is one of the best pujas and is the cheapest and most affordable and everyone accepts it and no one can prevent u from doing it (for which knowledge and more bhakti is puja phala)

MahaHrada
10 April 2010, 06:02 AM
On the subject of alter I think deities facing the east is the best, I could be wrong on that.

I think this is only in big temples that deities face the east, in the home oneself should face east, so you look in the direction of the rising sun or one should face north, the direction where only moonlight appears, north is best for shiva and performing hava, but one can also face east. But in the house, the puja room or place, itself should be in the north/east corner of the house or appartment according to vastu.