PDA

View Full Version : Greetings everyone...

Philosophical_Seeker
06 March 2010, 05:09 AM
I suppose I should try once more to introduce myself since my first post apparently fell into the abyss. My name is Adam. I am 35, single, and a doctoral student in western philosophy in the US.

I was raised Christian but my sympathies with the Christian form of theism grew weaker the more I studied philosophy. I could not fathom a God who would bring billions of people into existence and then turn around and toture them for an eternity in the afterlife for their failure to acknowledge Him properly.

Sanatana Dharma is offers universal moksha to every living soul. And that is a great thing.

Lately, I have begun reading the Upanishads, and chanting "Aum Namasivaya" as a form of private devotion. I have found that the mantra image of Lord Siva in meditation fill me with peace and warmth.

I want to learn more about becoming a devotee of the Lord Siva. And I pleased to participate here.

Aum Namasivaya!

sanjaya
06 March 2010, 06:12 PM
Hello Adam, nice to meet a fellow doctoral student. I myself am in astrophysics. I'm sure we could share many horror stories about graduate school! :)

Anyway, it's great to hear about your interest in Hinduism. I myself have found many knowledgable people here who can provide information on a wide variety of topics. Hinduism is indeed a vast and deep faith, and I count myself fortunate to have access to people so well versed in Hindu Scripture and tradition. I'm sure you'll find this place helpful as well.

Eastern Mind
06 March 2010, 07:47 PM
Phil Seeker: Welcome to the Forums. May Lord Dakshinamurthi shower his blessings.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
06 March 2010, 08:15 PM
Namaste PS,

Welcome to the forum ! :) We have a number of Shaivites here.

EM must be happy to see the number (of Shaivites) increasing here ! :)

OM Namah Shivaaya

Eastern Mind
06 March 2010, 09:14 PM
Devotee: Happy, I'm not so sure. Sounds like not controlling one's emotions. Phil Seeker.. Where are you? Maybe I can recommend a temple. If its bhakti you want, then temple worship is the place to be. Others will lift the feeling of bhaktars.

Yes, Devotee is right, I am a Saiva, but not adamant. We respect all valid traditions that have stood the test of time, as does Devotee. Most days anyway. Occasionally we fall.

Aum Namasivaya

Ramakrishna
10 March 2010, 10:31 PM
Namaste and welcome to HDF! I am glad to see your interest in Sanatana Dharma.