PDA

View Full Version : Donation for priest - how to present it?

ScottMalaysia
08 March 2010, 12:22 AM
My wife and I have got an apartment, and I have arranged for the priest to come on Wednesday afternoon to bless the place. He has given me a list of things to get, and I'll get them tomorrow.

My question is about the donation. I'm going to put it in an envelope, but I'd like to know if it is customary to write anything on the envelope. Like a sloka, verse from Scripture, prayer or anything else.

Eastern Mind
08 March 2010, 07:05 AM
Vannakkam Scott:

You should probably ask a member of that temple as all traditions may be different.

If it were here, and it was the Sri Lankan or South Indian priest, a dakshina tray would be prepared. It would include a bag of rice, 2 or 3 or more fresh vegetables of fruits, perhaps a new shirt or dhoti, maybe other foods, and you just put the envelope on the tray.

I'm sure he won't mind this either though. When he declares the puja to be over, you present it to him.

Aum Namasivaya

devotee
08 March 2010, 08:31 PM
Namaste Scott,

My wife and I have got an apartment, and I have arranged for the priest to come on Wednesday afternoon to bless the place. He has given me a list of things to get, and I'll get them tomorrow.

My question is about the donation. I'm going to put it in an envelope, but I'd like to know if it is customary to write anything on the envelope. Like a sloka, y verse from Scripture, prayer or anything else.

There is hardly any formality involved in giving "dakshinaa" ... we don't call it "donation". Blessing the place as you term is known as, "Griha pravesha" (Entering the House) in Hinduism. If the priest is really knowledgeable, then it would be an elaborate affair. It must be done on an auspicious day & special preparations are needed including "havan" at the end of the event.

The priest on such an occasion takes offerings and dakshinaa in two ways. One, whatever money is offered to Lord, goes with him. Second, at the end of the event, we have to offer him Dakshinaa. This dakshinaa is offered to him with full reverence ... people may directly give to him in his hand & take his blessings by touching his feet .... or present the same with some other offerings like rice (unboiled), pulse, a few blades of durvaa grass, a small stick of turmeric, clothes for him/her wife etc. etc. in a tray and take his blessings by touching his feet. It is considered good to offer him food (sattvik) to eat on such an occasion. There are no hard & fast rules for offerings ... it all depends upon your shraddhaa.

There is no mantra to be recited here. Please note that during the whole event, if any mantra has to be recited, it has to be suggested to you by the priest himself ... as he is aware of which mantra to use at what occasion.

OM

devotee
08 March 2010, 09:52 PM
Whatever I wrote above is for your own house. If it is a rented apartment, you can have a simple function.

OM

ScottMalaysia
08 March 2010, 11:02 PM
Namaste Scott,
There is no mantra to be recited here. Please note that during the whole event, if any mantra has to be recited, it has to be suggested to you by the priest himself ... as he is aware of which mantra to use at what occasion.

OM

Namaste Devoteeji,

Thanks for your posts. What I meant was, is there anything special, like a mantra or sloka, that I should write on the envelope with the money in it? Like the Gayatri Mantra, or "Om Namah Sivaya" or "Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya".

devotee
08 March 2010, 11:38 PM
Namaste Scott,

Thanks for your posts. What I meant was, is there anything special, like a mantra or sloka, that I should write on the envelope with the money in it? Like the Gayatri Mantra, or "Om Namah Sivaya" or "Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya".

There is no need to write anything. However, if you write, "Om Namah Shivaya" or "Om Namo Bhagwate Vasudevaye" ... it is ok. You may also mark it with a Sawstika mark if you so desire.

OM