PDA

View Full Version : Varnashrama System in modern Western Life

ScottMalaysia
15 March 2010, 04:55 AM
In the Bhagavad-Gita, we read:

caturvarnyam maya srishtam gunakarma vibhagashah
tasya kartaram api mam viddhy akartaram avyayam (4:13)

The fourfold caste was created by Me by the differnet distribution of Guna and karma. Though I be the author thereof, know Me to be the actionless and changeless. (Swami Chidbhavananda)

According to the three modes of material nature and the work associated with them, the four divisions of human society are created by Me. And although I am the creator of this system, you should know that I am yet the nondoer, being unchangeable. (Swami Prabhupada)

Prabhupada translates the word varna as "division of human society". I've been thinking, is the Varanashrama system only applicable to India? Or, as it seems from Prabhupada's translation, is it applicable to human society worldwide? I believe the latter. Since we know that varna (I won't use the word 'caste') is determined by qualities and actions, not by birth, what are some jobs in modern society that would fit into each varna?

Brahmanas (priests)
Pujari
Purohit
(If the varnas are supposed to be applicable to all countries, that would therefore include all religions, so tell me if you have a problem with inclusion of the following in the Brahmana category):
Christian priest/pastor/minister
Rabbi
Imam
Zoroastrian priest
Buddhist/Christian monk
Kannushi (Shinto priest)

Kshatriyas (warriors and rulers)
King/Emperor/Sultan/Raja/Prince
Prime Minister/President
Politician
Judge
Soldier
Sailor
Air Force pilot
Police officer

Vaishyas (merchants and craftsmen)
Businessperson/executive/manager/office worker
Salesperson
Shop assistant
Artist
Cabinetmaker
Potter
Weaver
Various other artisans and professionals

Shudras (labourers)
Construction worker
Builder/carpenter
Plumber
Electrician
Bricklayer
Glazier
Factory worker
Farmer

Please tell me if you disagree with any, or all of the above categorizations.