PDA

View Full Version : A bit too hot!

yajvan
26 March 2010, 11:41 AM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

There is a restaurant that is now serving a dish with a chilli pepper called naga jolokia also known as bhut jolokia ( in the West it is sometimes called ghost pepper).
This pepper ranks the hottest in the world. The 'measure' is called its Scoville rating - measuring the amount of capsaicin the pepper contains.

This scale goes from 0 to 15,000,000. Zero would be a standard red pepper or green pepper. Cayenne pepper is ~ 50,000 to 100,000 . So this naga jolokia
Is 10X hotter then cayenne or ~ 1,000,000 Scoville rating. Above this rating is pepper spray used for the military and the police.

At this restaurant the customer has to sign a legal document removing any responsibility from the restaurant owner from any health reactions that may occur from consuming the food with the Naga jolokia as part of the ingredient.

Does anyone on HDF consume these naga jolokia ?

devotee
26 March 2010, 12:07 PM
Namaste Yajvan ji,

This type of chillies are widely grown in Northeast region of India. I have not consumed on a regular basis as it is very very hot but just tasted a bit. It is so hot that even its juice coming into contact with bare skin produces intense burning sensation.

OM

Eastern Mind
26 March 2010, 01:02 PM
Vannakkam all:

I thought this would be about the +50 degrees C rumored to be hitting Delhi and elsewhere this summer. At least we can still control our intake of chilis, but the sun, nope, sorry. You have to move to some God-forsaken place like here where it is snowing today, but only about -1 C.

I like my curries fairly hot, but not like that. Most Indians aer surprised how hot I like it, but then I've been around it awhile. In the restaurants, they tend to tone it down for westerners.

Aum Namasivaya

LALKAR
28 March 2010, 07:21 AM
Namaste,

I haven't eaten anything like that,
during my kid days I used to eat much of Green Chillies, and red chilli powder with salt

sambya
28 March 2010, 12:19 PM
im always suprised by the fact that english doesnt have a seperate word for the sensation that is produced by eating chillies and other similar foodstuffs . it simply refers to the sensation as hot !!!!

Eastern Mind
28 March 2010, 12:26 PM
im always suprised by the fact that english doesnt have a seperate word for the sensation that is produced by eating chillies and other similar foodstuffs . it simply refers to the sensation as hot !!!!

Sambya: Language is contextual. The Inuit have some 20 words for snow, but Tamils have none. The English and Christians weren't very capable of seeing outside their fields. Pagan meant: 'not christian' for instance.

Maybe we could bo back and describe all English food as 'bland'.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
28 March 2010, 08:40 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

I do not get spicy 'hot' ( blazing, blistering, boiling, broiling, burning, decalescent, febrile, flaming, scalding, searing, sizzling).
No food taste comes though for me only exceedingly spicy hot - so the taste buds for me are clobbered and incapable of detecting any other flavor.
I do use cayenne power and various curries, yet my seasoning is not excessive. For those use to really hot/spicy is there the taste of the food there ?

pranam

sambya
30 March 2010, 12:14 PM
Sambya: Language is contextual. The Inuit have some 20 words for snow, but Tamils have none. The English and Christians weren't very capable of seeing outside their fields. Pagan meant: 'not christian' for instance.

Maybe we could bo back and describe all English food as 'bland'.

Aum Namasivaya
yes i sensed that . probably the absence of such a word is due to absence of use of chillies !

satay
30 March 2010, 01:22 PM
namaste Yajvan,

I am one of those crazy guys who eats HOT food. The hotter the better. I am the guy who sprays a lot of hot sauce on his pasta, then sprays it with red chilli flakes then eats at least 6 or 7 hot chillis with it. This is all on one meal and almost on each meal, for sure on the dinner! If I don't do it, I can't enjoy my food. It is a problem for me to eat out or to eat at friend's house because everything tastes bland if there is no hot sauce.

I don't know what that would be on the scale and I don't know if I can handle the naga jolokia. One time, I entered an elevator of an apartment building and someone had sprayed pepper spray in there. I did notice some weird smell when entering the elevator but didn't realize it was pepper spray till the elevator reached 4th floor! By that time, it was in my lungs and my eyes were burning. I just went back on the main floor and stood outside for a few minutes to get some fresh air and to clear my lungs. :)

That said, I don't think I can handle a spray of pepper in my eyes but in my mouth and with food...bring it on... :D

Oh and to answer you other question, yes, I still do taste food even with all that hot stuff on it. Or at least I think I do...

The funny thing is everyone else in my family thinks it's 'hot' if there is a little bit extra salt in the food! !

hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté

There is a restaurant that is now serving a dish with a chilli pepper called naga jolokia also known as bhut jolokia ( in the West it is sometimes called ghost pepper).
This pepper ranks the hottest in the world. The 'measure' is called its Scoville rating - measuring the amount of capsaicin the pepper contains.

This scale goes from 0 to 15,000,000. Zero would be a standard red pepper or green pepper. Cayenne pepper is ~ 50,000 to 100,000 . So this naga jolokia
Is 10X hotter then cayenne or ~ 1,000,000 Scoville rating. Above this rating is pepper spray used for the military and the police.

At this restaurant the customer has to sign a legal document removing any responsibility from the restaurant owner from any health reactions that may occur from consuming the food with the Naga jolokia as part of the ingredient.

yajvan
30 March 2010, 06:13 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namasté satay

namaste Yajvan, I am one of those crazy guys who eats HOT food. The hotter the better.

Here you go...
http://mexicofoodandmore.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/chiles.jpg

Eastern Mind
30 March 2010, 07:22 PM
Yajvan: I just know Satay wanted to respond, but I think he had to go shopping. Some decent Indian markets, I believe.

Aum

satay
30 March 2010, 10:03 PM
Hi Yajvan,
The thin red ones in the middle of the plate and the thin green ones towards the bottom of the plate are my favourite. Actually, here the hot peppers I get are from a thai store. They look like the red ones in the middle of the plate but smaller in length, HOT. I have to eat at least 6 with my meal. :)

So our fridge has at least two big packets of those at all times. Just in case... :)

This is the hot sauce I use on everything. There are at least two bottles of these in our house at a time. One in use, the other as backup (I am an IT guy you know so must have backup for everything...)

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0009S1NXG.01-ATTTB1C3WTZH0._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg