PDA

View Full Version : hello everyone

fatpuzzle
27 March 2010, 09:13 AM
hello everyone. thanks for activating my account. i am 31 year old male and i want to learn about hinduism in a systematic manner and the religious scriptures - vedas , upanishads ...... i know its a non trivial task but thats the reason for my joining this forum for your guidance in my exploration for knowledge. i have to confess i am green and have very little or probably no knowledge and have not explored anything spiritual in my past.
kind regards,
jake

LALKAR
28 March 2010, 07:14 AM
Namaste Jake / fatpuzzle,

Welcome

Sri Ganehay namah

Eastern Mind
28 March 2010, 07:32 AM
fp: Welcome to these forums. The archives and topics show a lot. We are a vast and varied bunch. If you don't find the info currently, just pose questions. You will get several answers most likely, and then can work yur way through that.

So.. what was the moment/experience that got you here?

Aum Namasivaya

fatpuzzle
28 March 2010, 08:14 AM
Namaste,

if you are talking about the forum, i was hunting for specifically hindu forums and there are a few of them out there. but they do seem a little biased and or limited. but here it seems you have the right to politely discuss , argue,diagree and explore - a particularly hindu trait. i have never seen a christian or a muslim engage in rational arguments - it is usually pointing fingers at the other's holy books degrading it to the max and completely shifting focus on what the topic of discussion is. sorry maybe i have said too much. i meant no offense. just my two cents. i have posted a question regarding diet/exercise in vegetarianism. hope someone can atleast point me in the right direction.
why do all posts take a while to appear ? is there a strict censorship by the moderator?

regards,
jake

saidevo
28 March 2010, 10:06 AM
namaste FP.

Welcome to HDF. Since you say that you want to learn about Hinduism systematically with no knowledge about it as of now, you may probably benefit from these books in the given order, for an introduction to the Hindu Dharma.

A Hindu Catechism
by Pandit Srirama Ramanuja Achari
http://www.australiancouncilofhinduclergy.org/docs/HinduCatechism.pdf

Hindu Dharma
by Bansi Pandit
http://ikashmir.net/hindudharma/doc/hindudharma.pdf

All about Hinduism
by Swami Sivananda
http://www.sivanandadlshq.org/download/hinduismbk.pdf

for other books as you move on, you might check this post for a personal Hindu Texts Library:
http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=38471&postcount=41

fatpuzzle
28 March 2010, 11:33 AM
Namaste,

thankyou for your pdf files . that was awesome - i have been looking for free ebooks all over the internet but it can become a tricky and sometimes biased. the post you referred to though has so many things to download. i wouldnt know where to start.

i posted my first question - but i cant find it, i thought i did it in vegetarianism section several hours back. is there a strict policy to review all posts by the moderator before it gets posted ?

thankyou once again

regards,
fatpuzzle

NayaSurya
28 March 2010, 04:35 PM
Yes, for the first several posts at least, they are moderated. I just finally got out of moderation:P

Just wait, and within a day it should be showing up<3

Welcome Jake!<3

Ramakrishna
28 March 2010, 11:44 PM
Welcome to HDF!

sanjaya
31 March 2010, 03:08 PM
Hello Fatpuzzle, nice to meet you!

Completely random question. I noticed that you used the phrase "non-trivial task." Are you by chance a physicist or mathematician?

fatpuzzle
02 April 2010, 08:01 AM
Namaste,

yes, i have studied physics at the graduate level. but i cannot honestly call myself a physicist yet. it used to be my passion. i have more to study but due to other personal difficulties i have not been able to ensue my doctorate studies and it may just remain a dream. i occassionaly teach some undergrads who need help which might have led to my use of that term. sorry for being transparent.

regards
fatpuzzle

sanjaya
02 April 2010, 11:53 AM
yes, i have studied physics at the graduate level. but i cannot honestly call myself a physicist yet. it used to be my passion. i have more to study but due to other personal difficulties i have not been able to ensue my doctorate studies and it may just remain a dream. i occassionaly teach some undergrads who need help which might have led to my use of that term. sorry for being transparent.

No need to apologize for the transparency. We physicists comprise a distinct subculture in some sense, don't we? I myself am in the middle of the doctoral phase of my career.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll have many interesting discussions here about Hinduism and Dharma. I too am very much a beginner at Hinduism, though it helps a bit to have come from a Hindu family. I've noticed that a few posters here liken Hinduism to the study of physics. As I learn more, I'm starting to see why.