PDA

View Full Version : Do's & dont's - Everyday hindu practices - Request for a list please!!

mesaras2010
29 March 2010, 05:15 AM
Salutations,

Yesterday was Sunday with a YOGA of SOOLAM.

I am not sure if its a good time period to have a haircut.

Similarly, I was wondering if a list in simple language to follow can be provided for hindu people, with the do's and dont's for the different YOGA periods. .

In anticipation of your reply.

Hara hara Mahadeva

Eastern Mind
29 March 2010, 06:01 PM
mesaras2010: Welcome to HDF. I hope your visit is meaningful.

Personally I feel we're too vast to come to much agreement on Do's and Don'ts. The religions of Hinduism are not that simple. Some would even say things like killing of another human would be acceptable in certain circumstances. I personally think it is better for each individual to explore their minds and come up with their own list. its pretty grey out there.

Having said that, the Yamas and Niyamas are traditional restraints and observances. You could try looking at them.

Aum Namasivaya

Ashvati
29 March 2010, 10:05 PM
Adding to what eastern mind said, for example, one of the first things (other than a multitude of gods, and even that's not strictly accurate) that one hears about hinduism is the sacredness of cows and that beef is never to be eaten and cows never killed, but I'm not even completely clear on whether even that is true of all sects.