PDA

View Full Version : Rudraksha Mala

NayaSurya
03 April 2010, 12:58 PM
Could someone help me with several questions about rudraksha mala...

Would it be okay to wear it all the time? I have a very strong urge to do so...but I am worried about custom.

Also, the mala I have is very base...simple. It was given to me by someone many years ago...and it's in poor shape. I have a feeling this is not the mala I am accustomed to and feel a very strong urge to get one that is more elaborate...silver capped. Very hard to quell this urge and just use simple worn one.

Does anyone have a place that can be trusted to buy this from? I know many ebay stores sell fraudulent rudraksha...so I am hesitant to buy from there.

Lastly, I wanted to wear rudraksha to Temple, but also worried about customs involving allowing the female vessels to wear such things. Years ago, when I felt the urge to wear full time I asked online in Yahoo Hindu chat and many tell me it's not proper.

Thank you for help<3

Eastern Mind
03 April 2010, 01:25 PM
Vannakkam:

You can get high quality ones from Himalayan Academy. Fresh unused from their trees. Go to minimela.com I think.

As far wearing to temples, I have never seen anyone wearing one in our temple, if that helps. The exception is visiting swamis. I think the priest wears one, but I don't really notice such things.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
03 April 2010, 07:05 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233; nayasurya

Eka eva rudro na dvitiyaya
rudra is the sole one, there is no second
Krsna Yajur Veda- Taittiriya Samhita 1.8.6.iii

There are several customs one can consider...
I would take a look at the Śiva mahāpurāṇa and get first hand information. Look to chapter 25.

That said, consider how many mouths ( mukha&#185;) the seed will have ; Be mindful of not bringing the mālā ( string of beads) when there is toilet activites (mala&#185;).

praṇām

words

mukha - the mouth , face
mala - bodily excretion

yajvan
03 April 2010, 07:39 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~

namast&#233;

A bit more collected from a few other HDF posts.

We have read rudrākśa is highly sanctifying. It removes sins by sight, contact and japa. Many see rudrākśa (rudra + akśa) as the tear of Śiva. There is also another slightly different view held; that rudrākśa are the eyes of Śiva. How so?

rudra रुद्र- we know as crying , howling , roaring , dreadful , terrific , terrible , horrible;
yet this rudra is also red , shining , glittering from its root rud or rudh. And we know this rudra is another name for Śiva, so no news here.
akśa अक्ष is the eye; also it’s a seed; it is also considered the beam of a balance or string which holds the pivot of the beam; and this akśa is also a measure of weight.So one can say by definition that the bead is his akśa, eye. Others say it is his tears. And others say rudrākśa means it is pleasing to the eyes (ākśa) of Rudra.

Another view I just was thinking of as I read mālinī-vijayotara tantra is the following. We reviewed this format rudrākśa (rudra + akśa) above. Another form is rud + rākṣā.

rud रुद्- is grief, pain, wailing, weeping or crying.
rākṣā रक्षा- the act of protecting or guarding , protection , care , preservation , security Put together - rudrākṣā is that which protects one from grief and pain; and if one would say rud is also another way of saying rudra, then the notion is 'rudra' the one that protects the native from grief and pain. ( I'm of the opinion this is the best fit/definition for rudrākṣā ).

As we know the number of faces mukhi-s ( from mukha or faces, mouth ) on rudrākśa varies; the Śiva Purāṇa calls out from a single faced up to 14 faced bead. Are there others? Yes, as I understand it - from 15 to 21 faces, Yet I have not seen these. What you will find most often is 5 mukti (faced) beads. This 5 is significant ( also note the number 14 is 1+4 = 5 ) and I thought to offer a view on this for those that are interested.

The 5 faced bead is considered rudra Himself says the Śiva Purāṇa. This number 5 is associated with Śiva's innate qualities or śakti. Also we have talked a bit about the 3 divisions (trika) and its association to Śiva.
As we started with rudra, let me end with a few lines from the Śrī Rudram; I Mention this as the 5 syllable mantra namaḥ śivāya ( नमः शिवाय ) resides in Śrī Rudram, the 8th anuvaka ( I think). The following is from the fifth anuvaka ( to keep with the pa&#241;ca or 5 theme)

namo bhavāya ca rudrāya ca namaḥ śarvāya ca paśupataye ca
namo nīlagrīvāya ca śitikaṇṭhāya ca
namaḥ kapardine ca vyuptakeshāya ca
namaḥ sahasrākṣāya cha śatadhanvane ca
namo giriśāya ca śipiviṣṭāya ca

Salutations ( I bow i.e. namo) to Bhava and to Rudra.
Salutations to the Lord of all sentient-beings.
Salutations to the blue-necked one, and to the white-throated.
Salutations to the wearer of matted locks, and to Him of shaven hair.
Salutations to Him of a thousand eyes, and to Him of a hundred bows.
Salutations to Him who dwells on (in) the mountains, and the form of śipiviṣṭāya (or Viṣṇu)

ॐ महेश्वराय नमः
om maheśvarāya namaḥ

praṇām

NayaSurya
03 April 2010, 09:40 PM
Yes, I have read Vidheshwar Samhita. But did not see whether it would be acceptable for me to wear every day... as in the times I have went to the Temple here I have yet to see another praying at Siva with one. Our temple is not designated to one God, it has a multitude and is very busy. I was worried of offending.

Thank you both for the helpful information<3

Ashvati
04 April 2010, 10:35 PM
I'm actually kind of interested in knowing the protocol on this, too. I have a Rudraksha mala that I wear a lot around my neck and I'm not sure if that's right, although I did see it worn around a woman's neck on an indian soap opera once (I think the woman wearing it was supposed to be the wife of a priest, too)

NayaSurya
05 April 2010, 04:02 AM
I can not see why one would take it off ever. If it's not offensive. I went to see about buying some yesterday when I got time and I have such an urge to buy them for hands too.

The problem I feel for me is two things. First I have an urge to do something, and I worry to do so in a female body is rude. Secondly I want a specific rudraksha...immediately when I saw, I knew this was the one I need...and yet I wonder if it is wrong to carry specific attachment to certain mala from one lifetime to next? I will buy it...I follow this urge because it led me this far. But I do want to obey the protocol for the female body so that I do not offend others. As I feel my anglo-ness is already offensive to some. I don't need anything else working against me:P

NayaSurya
05 April 2010, 04:10 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/neoluna/meditator.jpg

Eastern Mind
05 April 2010, 07:45 AM
Vannakkam:

One of the simple things I always do when purchasing or looking at a mala is count the beads. If its not 108, then I would never buy it. If the guys who strung them didn't know that much, well...

Beware of fake individual seeds as well. If you've seen a decent wood carving of a God, you'll easily recognise how simple it would be to 'manipulate' a seed. Tridents and the Sanskrt Aum are 2 common ones. There have even been incidents of 'giant' rudraksha which were well carved coconuts.

As with all religious articles, personally I like to consider the source. I would hope that some love was put into making it, and not some sweatshop using child labor.

But for that, I use intuition, like Naya, if it 'feels' right.. ..

Aum Namasivaya

Ashvati
05 April 2010, 03:44 PM
and yet I wonder if it is wrong to carry specific attachment to certain mala from one lifetime to next?

Don't quote me on this, but it seems like one's mala is quite personal and that attachment to a mala is common. I myself made my first mala personally by hand and was sullen for days when the original guru bead I had for it broke and when I lost another of the original beads. It could only be considered a proper mala in that it has 108 beads and a guru bead, since its made of blue glass strung on stretchy clear rubber, and the original guru bead was a blue glass frog, but its mine, I made it with love, and I used the majority of my gift money from my first post-conversion birthday to get the beads to make it.

As I feel my anglo-ness is already offensive to some. I don't need anything else working against me:P

heh yeah, I know the feeling. I felt awkward being quite noticably the palest guy in the temple durring my first Shivaratri Aarti this year, but I didn't catch anyone staring or giving me dirty looks thankfully.

NayaSurya
05 April 2010, 07:51 PM
I am so sorry to hear yours broke, that's very unfortunate.:(

Mine is worn away from praying...and I think for Mother's day I may ask the children to buy the one for me:P

Normally they buy me rose bushes:P

ScottMalaysia
05 April 2010, 10:46 PM
I've read that you're not supposed to wear Rudraksha if you drink alcohol or eat meat. You're also supposed to take it off during sexual intercourse.

Ashvati
05 April 2010, 11:13 PM
I don't wear any of my religious articles durring anything sexual, so I have that covered. I also don't drink, but as far as the meat, I have to work on that.

giridhar
28 June 2010, 11:05 AM
Could someone help me with several questions about rudraksha mala...

Would it be okay to wear it all the time? I have a very strong urge to do so...but I am worried about custom.

Also, the mala I have is very base...simple. It was given to me by someone many years ago...and it's in poor shape. I have a feeling this is not the mala I am accustomed to and feel a very strong urge to get one that is more elaborate...silver capped. Very hard to quell this urge and just use simple worn one.

Does anyone have a place that can be trusted to buy this from? I know many ebay stores sell fraudulent rudraksha...so I am hesitant to buy from there.

Lastly, I wanted to wear rudraksha to Temple, but also worried about customs involving allowing the female vessels to wear such things. Years ago, when I felt the urge to wear full time I asked online in Yahoo Hindu chat and many tell me it's not proper.

Thank you for help<3

Om Shiva !!

You CAN TRUST www.rudralife.com

Shri Kamal.N.Seetha has been in Rudraksha sales for last so many years. First person to conduct Rudraksha exhibition for benefit of people. He has authored " POWER OF RUDRAKSHA " . You can download it from net. Just visit the site.

I am wearing Rudraksha that i purchased from him - various mukhis like 5, 7 9, 11 etc . Yes, you do get SILVER CAPPED too !!!!

I guarantee that they ARE AUTHENTIC !! His entire family members are devotees of Shri Shiva !!!

Om Shakti

yajvan
20 January 2013, 01:18 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

ॐ महेश्वराय नमः
om maheśvarāya namaḥ

...which protects one from grief and pain; and if one would say rud is also another way of saying rudra, then the notion is 'rudra' the one that protects the native from grief and pain. ( I'm of the opinion this is the best fit/definition for rudrākṣā ).

On occasion you will hear from the wise, pay attention to the string and not the bead¹.

Now what could they mean ?

iti śivaṁ

1. lagu vākya vṛtti - 10th sloka, by ādi śaṅkara-ji

yajvan
20 January 2013, 01:56 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

ॐ महेश्वराय नमः
om maheśvarāya namaḥ

pay attention to the string and not the bead. Now what could they mean ?

In this approach they are telling the aspirant the 'beads' are our thoughts that come in succession - the string is the underlying awareness the the beads are strung on.
In-between each thought this string¹ is there... pay attention to this gap and one comes to know the awareness that is there.

So they say do not pay attention to the beads ( thoughts) but to the thread (śakti). When the mind stops its rambling on, do you stop existing? No - you continue. And that continunity is that of awarenss. No different then a movie screen.

When the movie stops, the screen remains there, in pure white, ever available for another image. Like that, in-between each ''bead' this white screen exists. This example in its simplist form explains the notion of one of the upāya-s that are reviewed in (non dual) kaśmiri śaivism. These 3 upāya-s are:

1st level ( the highest) is sāmbhavopāya
2nd level is śāktopaya,
3rd level is āṇavopāyaThese approaches are to assist/guide the aspirant to go from limited or bound consciousness to unbounded consciousness, some call God or Unity Consciousness.
So, with this notion of working with 'gaps' or in-between, is considered a śāktopaya approach.

iti śivaṁ

1. String - for more on this notion of the 'string' within meditation,
consider this conversation on HDF: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=8070&highlight=up%26%23257%3Bya (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=8070&highlight=up%26%23257%3Bya)

Necromancer
20 January 2013, 02:44 PM
Namaste and pranams.

Do you always have a habit of necrobumping nearly 3 year old threads then replying to yourself? *jokes :D

I agree with your summation fully though and it's like 'string theory' in quantum mechanics.

The planets are like the beads strung on the thread that is Aum....that is Mahadeva. They are also the 'thoughts' as you said and how you described it is very nice indeed. It reminds me of my 'Movie Theatre' visualisation meditation, where I am the observer of my thoughts, then I observe the observer.

When I do Japa, I focus on the Mantra and not the string or the beads and I often lose my count half way through if I am totally engrosed and entranced by it. That will happen with longer Mantras like the Mahamrityunjaya or Gayatri Mantras.

As for wearing them, I would like a Mala made from small, single-faced perfect Rudraksh, but I am dreaming there. I may buy the capped ones for about $20, but why? Who am I showing? Myself? God? Other people? Why not just put it in a Mala Bag?

I already feel guilty enough wearing my tiny Nataraja pendant.

Aum Namah Shivaya

bijugeorge456
30 January 2013, 09:25 PM
rudraksha mala which is made from Rudraksha beads (http://www.rudraksha.ratna.com) which is most powerful and it is used for japas .