PDA

View Full Version : Tolerance - A SanAtan Hindu SaMskAr

smaranam
05 April 2010, 10:02 AM
Namaste

Despite all that happened to HindustAn, BhArat, including invasions , HindustAnis have embraced other cultures into their own colourful cultural rainbow, appreciated their good side, till it blends so well into modern day India, and its a secular nation.

We cannot ignore the fact that this has happened due to the tolerence and hospitality , accomodating nature of the HindustAnis, majority of which are followers and children of the SanAtan Dharma.

Where does this tolerence come from ? Obviously from the Vedic/Agamic DhArmic teachings , culture, and saMskAr - values. From its astonishingly open spirituality that accomodates all kinds.

What is tolerance anyway ? It is an aspect of Love. A facet of the Love prism. Susanskriti , love, and the gift of making anyone feel at home : guests, servants, travellers, neighbours... irrespective of caste or any other distinction, while maintaining the varied heritages, is an inherent part of this saNskRti.

This is to be cherished, and not broken by selfish politics.

I have no right to say anything , i am not an authority , but this has been merely an observation since childhood.

May the MahAnta (greatness) of BhArat be protected and be a source of inspiration for others all over the world.

Eastern Mind
05 April 2010, 01:15 PM
Vannakkam Smaranam:

At leaast for me, tolerance means 'allowing to exist' without punishement, war , discrimination etc. What it does not mean is acceptance of belief. And, yes, it has been one of many things that drew me (back) to SD.

Aum Namasivaya

yajvan
05 April 2010, 08:23 PM
hariḥ oṁ
~~~~~~
namasté

It seems to me tolerance is different from tolerated.

Tolerance is defined as a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own. Yet to tolerate is to put up with, endure.

In the first case ( tolerance ) one's mind remains balanced and unperturbed in the differences. In the second case ( tolerated) one is enduring the differences and the mind can lose it's balance ( gritting one's teeth as they say).

In the first case one is accepting; in the second case, one is tolerating the unacceptable.

praṇām