PDA

View Full Version : Which is my nakshatra(birthstar)?

orlando
12 September 2006, 09:33 AM
Namaste all.
Now I will quote something from the book How to Become a (Better) Hindu
A Guide for Seekers and Born Hindus.
by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami,who was a great guru of Shaiva-Siddhanta.
http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/hbh/images/hbh_cover.jpg

Sanskrit Birthstar Syllables

According to traditional jyotishis (Indian astrologers), among the most auspicious Hindu first names begin the syllables that corresponds to one's birthstar, called nakshatra, which is the constellation with which the moon was aligned at the moment of birth. Below is a list of the twenty-seven nakshatras and the distinct Sanskrit syllables that correspond to each. To choose a nakshatra name (namanakshatra), first determine the birthstar of the child or adult, then look for the star in the list below to determine the syllable(s) with which the name should begin. There are four sounds for each nakshatra, corresponding to the four quarters (padas) of each constellation. If you know the pada under which the child or adult was born, it is best to choose the syllable of that pada. Several of the nama-nakshatra syllables are quite rare in actual usage in the Sanskrit language. For example, someone born under the fourth pada of Purvashadha nakshatra may not find more than two or three qualifying names beginning with the syllable dhaa (long "a") even in extensive name lists, so it is common practice to choose a name starting with a similar syllable. In this case the syllable dha (short "a") ight be used, such as in the name Dharana, or dha as in Dharma. It is also common to resort to the syllable of another pada within the same nakshatra if too few names are available.

Why chose a name based on nakshatra? The first reason is that it vibrates in harmony with the nature of the individual in this particular incarnation, by virtue of its unique relation to the moon at the moment of birth, which has a significant impact on the inner, emotional nature. Secondly, by simply hearing the name, an astute jyotisha shastri, priest, swami or satguru would immediately know the nature of the person, cognizing that he was born under, say, the shravana nakshatra. He would thus be able to wisely counsel or console, advise and encourage accordingly. In ancient days, as today, this first sound of the first name was extremely important to knowledgeable preceptors.

Since I decided that in order to full embracing the Hindu religion one day I will legally change both my first and last name,I wish to know what is my nakshatra(birthstar).
I don't know how to know about it.
Hope that someone here will help me.
I was born in 11 august,1987.In Sicily,an italian region.
http://www.big-italy-map.co.uk/maps/map-of-sicilia-map.gif

http://www.globalgeografia.com/album/mappe/italia.gif

Sudarshan
12 September 2006, 10:44 AM
Time of birth is also needed. You also need to specify if special circumstances are applicable to you.( like summer time correction, war time correction etc). Timezone is also needed.

orlando
13 September 2006, 09:14 AM
Namaste all.
My mother told me that I was born at 13:05 p.m.
No special circumstances are applicable to me.

sarabhanga
13 September 2006, 08:43 PM
Bhadram te :)

The Brahman alone is self-naming ! ;)

sarabhanga
13 September 2006, 09:36 PM
The Brahman alone is self-naming.

And this autonymic pride (or spontaneous Mahat) is the original sin, upon which basis Creation itself is blamed ~ and the very reason for Brahma's decapitation by Rudra !

orlando
14 September 2006, 12:27 PM
Namaste.
Finally I know my nakshatra.I posted the same question in another forum.
A person told me in another forum:

Trust you fall in rome, amsterdam, berlin time zone group.

If so, you nakshatra is Purvabadra, day is tuesday, tithi is tritiya, atiganda yoga
[...]
Pls revert back to me if you birthday is not tuesday

My mother told me that I was born in tuesday.This evening I will begin to choose my future hindu first name.

Shri Sarabhanga,I feel more and more that you feel toward me a feeling that I could call "hate".
Not sure about the reason.
Regards,
Orlando.

Sudarshan
14 September 2006, 12:28 PM
Birth Star: PURVABADRA ( second pada)

orlando
14 September 2006, 12:35 PM
Birth Star: PURVABADRA ( second pada)

Thank you very much for the information!

sarabhanga
14 September 2006, 07:14 PM
Shri Sarabhanga,
I feel more and more that you feel toward me a feeling that I could call "hate".
Regards,
Orlando.

And I am quite sure that you have (once again) completely misconstrued my words!

The Brahman alone is self-naming.

And this autonymic pride (or spontaneous Mahat) is the original sin, upon which basis Creation itself is blamed ~ and the very reason for Brahma's decapitation by Rudra !

This is a VERY important point, which should not be ignored.

This is the very reason (which I have repeatedly stated) behind the absolute requirement in Sanatana Dharma for the unnamed to be named by one who is already named (by one already named by one already named, etc. etc.) all the way back to the source.

Sanatana Dharma requires that you are named by your own parents and/or by your Guru. And until you can grasp this one point, there is little chance that you will understand the rest.

No individual Christian (not even Jesus) can baptise or christen himself, and no Jew can perform his own circumcision !

If you get the answers you already expect you are happy, but if you don't like the answer (no matter how true) you would prefer to shoot the messenger. :rolleyes:

yajvan
14 September 2006, 08:46 PM
Hari Om
~~~~~~

Namaste,
While birth star is of great import within ones Janmi rasi chart, it is the quality of what you wish to bring out in your being that is important.
you can easily look up the Nakshastra ( there are 27 of them , some say 28)... but I would submit to you, what vibration do you wish to make manifest? Note the the birth chart and ones nakshastra is the postion of the moon (chandra) at the time of birth...

Note that the positon of the Sun ( surya) is just as important...as is Guru ( jupiter or brihaspiti). My recommendation is to seek a Jytoshi that understands this key concept of naming...
recommdation: look to Jyotishi's trained by Sanjay Rath of Puri. They have been trained... if you do not find one, go to Sanjay Rath. Do not treat this casually... getting the right vibration ( for sadhana, name, etc) is of great import.

Regards,
yajvan

Sudarshan
15 September 2006, 09:33 AM
And I am quite sure that you have (once again) completely misconstrued my words!

This is the very reason (which I have repeatedly stated) behind the absolute requirement in Sanatana Dharma for the unnamed to be named by one who is already named (by one already named by one already named, etc. etc.) all the way back to the source.

Sanatana Dharma requires that you are named by your own parents and/or by your Guru. And until you can grasp this one point, there is little chance that you will understand the rest.

No individual Christian (not even Jesus) can baptise or christen himself, and no Jew can perform his own circumcision !

If you get the answers you already expect you are happy, but if you don't like the answer (no matter how true) you would prefer to shoot the messenger. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you could suggest a name for him?

sarabhanga
15 September 2006, 10:54 PM
This evening I will begin to choose my future Hindu first name.

Namaste Orlando,

I am only advising that you should slow down and not get too far ahead of yourself. In preparation, it is good to have the appropriate information about your birth ready, but you should not presume to choose your own name.

Go ahead and learn as much truth as you can find, experience your life fully, as it is, while always considering (and actively applying) the fundamental principles of Yama. Strive earnestly and honestly toward your aspirations and ultimate aim. And at the appropriate time, a suitable guru will (in person) bestow your proper Hindu name.

Namakarana is a simple procedure, but it cannot be performed at a distance or over the internet. Indeed, the nameless one and the named naming one should come close enough for each one to actually feel the breath of the other.

Meanwhile, why not use the name by which you are already known? Orlando is an excellent name (evoking the radiant corona of the solar orb), so at this stage you could simply translate Orlando into some Sanskrit equivalent, as an effective Hindu “nick name”. And when the time comes for naming by a guru, that guru will decide if the name is appropriate.

:)

sarabhanga
16 September 2006, 12:27 AM
And I would suggest somAditya, or perhaps somAnanda.

orlando
18 September 2006, 08:31 AM

Well,I should ask to a guru of ITALIAN HINDU UNION SANATANA DHARMA SAMGHA

By http://www.hinduism.it/zzinduismo.htm

Who would like to formalise his/her belonging and live fully his spiritual aspiration, making his/her faith evident and live it in a coherent way, can become Hindu with the formal ceremony called nāmakarana samskāra (to receive the name in a sacred way), preceded by the due purifications and officiated by svami o pandit from the I.H.U. In this way he/she adheres fully and loyally to the principles of Hinduism both, socially and individually.

But I don't know if I will find a Shaiva-Siddhanta guru there.

orlando
18 September 2006, 08:52 AM
Namakarana is a simple procedure, but it cannot be performed at a distance or over the internet. Indeed, the nameless one and the named naming one should come close enough for each one to actually feel the breath of the other.
:)

I don't know if it is simple.But it is very expensive.!:eek:
By http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/hbh/hbh_ch-7.html

Dakshina, a love offering for the priest, is a traditional appreciation of his services in bringing the seeker into the religion. A generous dakshina, a sum of US$900 or more, is appropriate by year-2000 standards in the US, depending upon the number of priests attending. It is estimated that such a Vedic ceremony will take one to four hours and require many more hours of strict preparations. The presiding priest would be given $301 or more, his second helper $201 and other helpers $101. Traditionally, cash is wrapped in a betel leaf or its equivalent and handed personally to the priests right after the ceremony.

Since this is a once-in-a-lifetime happening, the cost of the giving should not be a consideration. Of course, when the rite is performed in a temple, the management should also be given $201 to $501 for the use of their facilities, which would be arranged with them in advance and could be paid by check. In general, generosity is preferred to miserliness when it comes to rewarding our priests for these enormously important sacred ceremonies and passages. Such appreciation in the form of equitable payment ensures the gratitude and good feelings of the priests for the life ahead. If more than one family member is receiving the namakarana samskara, the amount paid to the priests and the temple would not necessarily be increased. This depends on the protocol of the particular temple. Any reception held afterwards would, of course, involve additional costs. One may elect to give gifts to the temple, such as a picture of your guru and his books and other publications, in thanks for the assistance and services.

Regards,
Orlando.

Sudarshan
18 September 2006, 10:27 AM
Dakshina, a love offering for the priest, is a traditional appreciation of his services in bringing the seeker into the religion. A generous dakshina, a sum of US$900 or more, is appropriate by year-2000 standards in the US, depending upon the number of priests attending. It is estimated that such a Vedic ceremony will take one to four hours and require many more hours of strict preparations. The presiding priest would be given $301 or more, his second helper $201 and other helpers $101. Traditionally, cash is wrapped in a betel leaf or its equivalent and handed personally to the priests right after the ceremony.

Not surprising Namakarana has become a mere business in the US - $900, oh my!! Now I understand why some westerners disagree with the version of Hinduism that is advocated in the west.:)

In Tamil Nadu, here , possibly it takes only Rs.1000 or less, and in many cases done entirely free. I remember directing somebody to doing this for only Rs.400. Another thing, these rates are never fixed price in India. It is based on your ability to pay. A rich may may offer to pay a hefty sum because he can afford to. A poor man may pay a small amount. Fixing a standard price of $900 is against the principles of Hindu Dharma, especially when the person concerned is not wealthy.

Everything has become mere business. Dont pay more than $100-200 on these things. It is plain cheating.:)

sarabhanga
18 September 2006, 08:13 PM
Namaste,

Namakarana (just as every samskara) is priceless, and no particular fee can be required for this spiritual service. The process may be as elaborate or as simple as you like or can afford, but the debt is beyond mortal repayment and so any offering can only be a token.

There are traditions for the appropriate distribution of the dakshina (whatever the total amount), but in the most basic scenario only one officiating Brahman is required ~ or, in the absence of any Brahmana, just one Hindu with the knowledge and the desire to perform it.

Dakshina is always expected, but it can only ever be “as you like”.

As Sudarshan has mentioned, the basic naming is often given freely; and, when a Brahman names his own infant son, there should be no thought of any cash payment or financial debt! The debt is beyond calculation; and in this perfect case the bond is entirely spiritual, and the payment is entirely in kind.

orlando
19 September 2006, 08:37 AM
Namaste all.
Shri Sarabhanga,I can assure you that I will not forget to give some money to the hindu priest who will do my namakarana.I already know that in hindu culture it is a common thing to offer something (money,fruit etc) to holy people,satgurus etc

satay
19 September 2006, 09:39 AM
Not surprising Namakarana has become a mere business in the US - $900, oh my!! Now I understand why some westerners disagree with the version of Hinduism that is advocated in the west.:)

Outrageous! These 'hindus' that run after donkeys food like this are a shame!!

Orlando, Please...I would not pay a dime to an organization that charges 900 USD for 'any' hindu service!

As sarabhanga said the debt of namakarna can not be paid in donkey's food. Any money offering is only symbolic and "as you like" since the debt can not be repaid anyhow.

unreal!
:po: