PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarians - would you buy meat for others?

ScottMalaysia
08 April 2010, 07:34 PM
The Manu-Smriti (Laws of Manu) states:

"He who permits the slaughter of an animal, he who cuts it up, he who kills it, he who buys or sells meat, he who cooks it, he who serves it up, and he who eats it, must all be considered as the slayers of the animal." (5:51)

Based on the above verse, would anyone here who is a vegetarian agree to buy meat for someone who eats it? For example, if your boss asked you to go and get him a McChicken burger or a ham sandwich, would you do it?

I would not do it under any circumstances, and I would tell him that it is against my religion. However my wife, who isn't very religious (a fact for which I am very resentful) doesn't care about this and has bought meat for her father in the past (even though I told her it would be as bad for her as if she ate it).

Ashvati
08 April 2010, 10:36 PM
I'm not quite at the stage where I'm ready to stop eating meat, so I can't say I wouldn't. I probably would still buy meat for someone else though, if I became vegetarian. Beef of course I would like to still have as little to do with as possible.

Eastern Mind
09 April 2010, 07:14 AM
Vannakkam:

There are certain exceptions for me. A time when I had meat in the house was when my aging Mother in Law came to stay for about a 4 day period, just to be with her grandchildren and have a good visit. We bought a few cod filets for her. Family harmony and common courtesy trumped the 'no meat in the house' rule on that occasion. I have no regrets.

Aum Namasivaya

ScottMalaysia
09 April 2010, 09:16 AM
Vannakkam:

There are certain exceptions for me. A time when I had meat in the house was when my aging Mother in Law came to stay for about a 4 day period, just to be with her grandchildren and have a good visit. We bought a few cod filets for her. Family harmony and common courtesy trumped the 'no meat in the house' rule on that occasion. I have no regrets.

Aum Namasivaya

You're very accommodating. However, my mother-in-law knows that we're vegetarian and wouldn't come expecting meat. If she did I'd tell her that we won't cook it or serve it or have it in the house.

satay
09 April 2010, 09:52 AM
Namaste Scott,
Strictly speaking from experience, I don't think this applies to all varnas of hinduism. For example, in my experience, if someone asked you to fetch a burger and you belonged to a brahmin family or varna, you would refuse.

In my case, because I am not a brahmin, I don't see any harm in buying someone a burger though the karmic consquences might be there as manu says. On the other hand, I don't keep a copy of manu's law in my pocket and let it guide my every decision.

If one belongs to a varna dharma aside from brahmin dharma, I think they should not have any problem buying a burger for someone. I think you might be taking manu way too seriously and treating it like some sort of commands from God like the christians do.

The Manu-Smriti (Laws of Manu) states:

"He who permits the slaughter of an animal, he who cuts it up, he who kills it, he who buys or sells meat, he who cooks it, he who serves it up, and he who eats it, must all be considered as the slayers of the animal." (5:51)

Based on the above verse, would anyone here who is a vegetarian agree to buy meat for someone who eats it? For example, if your boss asked you to go and get him a McChicken burger or a ham sandwich, would you do it?

I would not do it under any circumstances, and I would tell him that it is against my religion. However my wife, who isn't very religious (a fact for which I am very resentful) doesn't care about this and has bought meat for her father in the past (even though I told her it would be as bad for her as if she ate it).

Krsna Das
09 April 2010, 10:23 AM
Hari Bol !

I do not buy, neither allow any body else to buy, if my money is involved with it.

For example, in January, on my birthday, collegues in my office asked for a party. Some of them are non-vegs.

But they never order the non-veg items because they know already that I will never pay for it.

One should not become involved in any thing which leads to propagation of meat-eating or selling, even if that means going and buying a burger for your boss.

Sri Manu Maharaj is considered to be a saktya-vesa avtar of Lord.

Also Srila Vyasa deva says in Mahabharata -

"The purchaser of flesh performs violence by his wealth; he who eats flesh does so by enjoying its taste; the killer does violence by actually tying and killing the animal. Thus, there are three forms of killing. He who brings flesh or sends for it, he who cuts off the limbs of an animal, and he who purchases, sells, or cooks flesh and eats it--all these are to be considered meat-eaters.” (Mahabharata, Anu.115.40)

Srila Vyasa deva cannot be a liar. He is the guru of all the gurus of the world.

Hari Bol !

smaranam
09 April 2010, 12:25 PM
~deleted~

smaranam
09 April 2010, 03:06 PM
[B]
One should not become involved in any thing which leads to propagation of meat-eating or selling

Yes, the key is to discourage meat eating and the meat industry, or passively participating in allowing it to continue. Especially red meat and cow slaughter.

I look at it as more to do with spreading the message and awareness of cruelty.

Jodhaa
27 September 2012, 10:42 AM
I am not yet full vegetarian but I am working in that direction. However, the other day I saw a homeless man on the side of the road with a sign that said "Hungry, Please Help." The closest establishment with easily acquirable food was a CVS (A drug store/pharmacy with a small food section). There is very little of nutritional value at these little shops. Mostly chips, candy and little cakes. But they did have nuts and Beef Jerky. I wanted to give him something that would keep him going for a few days. The empty starch of chips doesn't go far. I felt a little guilty about buying it, but asked God for forgiveness and to understand my motives. I bought the jerky, nuts, crackers and some water for him. I don't have regrets about it.

I think if it affects my karma I am willing to accept that given the circumstances.

Peace!

satay
27 September 2012, 10:55 AM
Admin Note

Namaste,
You have replied to an old thread. Just a reminder to read the rules again. Rules are listed under FAQ section.

Thanks,