PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Hindu Help Required :)

cassiola
10 April 2010, 02:43 PM
Hi,
My name is Cassie and I am a 3rd year theology student at the University of Nottingham. I am currently doing my dissertation on Hinduism, more specifically the Hindu Youth. The question I am looking into is the religious knowledge and understanding a young Hindu has and I'm doing a survey to try and find this out.
I would be SO SO SO grateful if any of you would be willing to do it because i really want to get a wide spectrum of results for my research.

http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=KJNEJL_be78d1f5

This is quite an urgent message because my dissertation deadline is looming and I've had very few responses to my survey. It should take about 5-6 minutes to fill out. Its a combination of yes/no questions and more in depth questions to find out your religious knowledge. The survey is 100% anonymous and I hope none of you find any of the questions patronising or anything. I'm not a Hindu myself so my knowledge of Hinduism is basic, so if some of the questions seem obvious to you please humour me because your answers really will help me with my work.

Thank you for your time :)

Cassie

sanjaya
12 April 2010, 12:41 AM
I wouldn't mind filling out your survey. But as a fellow academic, I have to point out that an Internet survey directed to members of a specific forum is going to be very biased, and extremely unscientific. If you want to know what sort of religious knowledge the average Hindu youth has, but post your survey on a forum like this, the results will likely be heavily biased in favor of young people who know a good deal about Hinduism (after all, we're on HDF because we're spiritually minded). Don't you think that random sampling would be a better idea?

sambya
12 April 2010, 01:22 AM
hello ,

well im ready for your survey , but as sanjaya has rightly pointed out survey through an hindu internet forums are going to be a biased representation of facts .

pranaam.

upsydownyupsy mv ss
12 April 2010, 02:36 AM
Hey hey, Me too....

sanjaya
12 April 2010, 11:53 AM
So I started taking this survey yesterday, but stopped when I noticed the word "lol" contained in the survey questions. I hope I don't sound snobbish or offensive here, but I really have trouble taking such a survey seriously when it's intended for a senior undergraduate dissertation. Back in undergrad when I did my thesis, I took it pretty seriously and wrote what I think was a fairly professional work. Don't you think you should do the same?

sambya
12 April 2010, 01:46 PM
cassie . i read that the survey is meant for hindu youths residing in britain . you didnt specify that in this thread . in any case , i back out as i dont fall into the catagory .

im a hindu residing in india .

Ashvati
12 April 2010, 08:09 PM
before I read what Sambyaji just said I would have gone ahead and filled it out and assumed there would be a question about whether I was raised hindu or converted, but I live in the US so it may not be relevant to me unfortunately.