PDA

View Full Version : Utah Ganesha temple

Eastern Mind
14 April 2010, 06:05 PM
Vannakkam:

One would never expect to find a Hindu temple in the heart of Mormonism, but there it is. Serving a small but vibrant hard-working mixed Hindu community, they managed to find land , and build this rather small Hindu temple with a legal capacity of 250 people. An Indian Cultural Center is being built nearby to serve as concert venue, wedding hall, and multi purpose cultural center. The center is totally owned by the temple group.

In the beginning (around 1993) as is common in the west, a few devotees recognised the need, and started worship, in homes first, then moved to a rented space, and finally to their own land.

Even the Mormon community, under the guidance of the current leader Gordon Hinckley, who speaks on tolerance a lot now, pledged 25 000 US once 90% of the funding goal was met.

Served by a Vaishnava, and a Smarta priest, the temple houses Ganesha in the moolasthanam, but also has main shrines to Venkateshwara, and Siva, besides many other smaller shrines. The temple is open daily from 8AM until 9PM, and doesn't close midday like other Hindu temples in the west.

So I would recommend this House of God to any American Hindus travelling East West on I-80, or north - south on I - 15 throught Salt Lake City. Take a few hours or overnight stop there in Salt Lake City and see God.

If you build it, they will come!

Aum Namasivaya

shian
24 May 2010, 10:51 PM
i wish more Hindu Temple can build in europe and america
i wish where God statue installed stahana in there, there will be shining with wisdom light in every heart.

I also wish India not forget about the greatness of teachings of harmony in Hindu, and become great country in the world

Eastern Mind
28 May 2012, 09:13 PM
Vannakkam Everyone ... Just to let you know, I won't be posting for 2 weeks or so because we're on another driving America pilgrimage, and I don't carry a laptop.

We just got back from Ganesha's temple in Utah ... nice little temple ... again. Nice crowd fora Monday night.. 30 people. Am typing from the hotel lobby courtesy computer.

Aum Namasivaya

NayaSurya
28 May 2012, 09:18 PM
Be well on your travels! If you are any where near the Gulf of Mexico over the next 2 weeks...perhaps we will be running into each other.:P

We leave on 8th of June. No temples to see in that area, unfortunately....but loads of natural places of energy to be sure.

Post pictures when you can <3

Arjuni
28 May 2012, 09:50 PM
Namasté,

Good grief, you folks are leaving me to hold down the fort?! Traitors!

I mean, er, have a nice trip. :D

(Seriously - EM, Naya, I hope both of you enjoy your respective journeys, and have pictures and stories upon your return. If either of you are venturing near New Orleans and would like recommendations, msg me!)

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Maya3
29 May 2012, 07:38 AM
Indraneela,

:)
LOL

Have a great time you both! Tell us all about it when you get back.

Maya

Eastern Mind
15 June 2012, 12:56 PM
Vannakkam: Besides the one here, the Utah Ganesha temple is my favorite in all of North America. That would include about 20 or more I've been to. there is just something about the uniqueness of a small Hindu temple in the heart of Mormonism.

We sponsored 2 pujas ... an abhishekham for Lord Siva, and a Siva homa, both with the prayer intent of ecology for Mother Earth. Its reasonably priced here, $51 for abhishekham, and $61 for homa, plus dakshina.

Unlike many South India style temples, here the lingam is more open, and you can sit about 3 feet back, and participate in the abhishekham itself. During the 40 minutes or so (we always bring 'extras' like honey, curd, coconut water, and rose water) of abhishekham, the priest, and a volunteer manager chanted Sri Rudram, my favorite Vedic chant. The 4 of us were the only people there, so the vibration became rather unworldly. This priest knows his stuff. This temple has 3 priests, one Saiva, and 2 Vaishnava, and because they're in tune with the devotee, we were assigned the Saiva priest.

Then we took a 15 minute break while he prepared for the homa. Again, it was active participation, and we managed to give him a chuckle or two when repeating Sanskrit for the Sankalpam introduction stuff. Once again via the ancient ritual, the place became scintillating. The previous watcher had to leave, but his wife came by as the volunteer manager later. They both mentioned it. In the break between pujas, the fellow was commenting ion my wearing of veshti, and when I said I always wear it to temple and commented, "Just how hard is it?" rhetorically, he said he'd probably take it as a habit from then on too. Somebody should keep these traditions alive.

What really stikes me about this place, unlike many temples, is the respect, trust, and co-operation given the priests. in many temples, the boards don't trust the priests, there is open of insinuated antagonism, and a general feeling of ill will between the two sides. There are a few priest owned temples but they are in the minority. But there that doesn't seem to exist. For one thing, you just put the fees in the Hundi, sight unseen, and in trust (with the exception of dakshina of course) . Nobody counts it, nobody checks it, and its left between the devotee, and Ganesha. No ticket, no rigamarole, and it's appreciated. The manager mentioned later that just so long as the Hundi covers expenses, everyone's happy, which is the way it should be.

I will definitely be going back.

Aum Namasivaya

Arjuni
15 June 2012, 01:35 PM
Namasté,

Thank you for this write-up, EM. It's probably the first time, ever, in my life that I've actually wanted to go to Utah. :D

Indraneela
===
Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Eastern Mind
15 June 2012, 01:48 PM
Vannakkam Indra: Yes, and besides this temple, I hear the National Parks (google 'Arches National Park') are quite spectacular, although I've never seen them. One of my problems in travelling, I'm too busy looking for the next Hindu temple to notice scenery. :) Well, not quite. We did see this: http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=Oregon+Natural+Bridges&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1440&bih=730&tbm=isch&tbnid=KTyQ7a1IFAcBnM:&imgrefurl=http://www.naturalarches.org/gallery-ORnaturalbridgescove.htm&docid=EeCrJEnbsb1DoM&imgurl=http://www.naturalarches.org/gallery_files/ORnaturalbridgescove.jpg&w=600&h=400&ei=nIPbT-vKCsKg2QWfp7HJCA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=332&vpy=148&dur=565&hovh=183&hovw=275&tx=163&ty=110&sig=101583928988083030274&page=1&tbnh=120&tbnw=158&start=0&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:74 and here's the temple's site ..http://www.sghtu.org/

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
15 June 2012, 01:59 PM
Namaste,

Thanks you for taking us with you on your journey.

Pranam.