PDA

View Full Version : A Question about Yogeshwar Krishna

anupj
17 April 2010, 11:33 AM
Namaste friends,
recently i came across a drama which tells the life story of Krishna in short. Krishna is also called as Yogeshwar the one who has a command over his senses. At a point of time in the drama, Krishna is shown as attacking Bhishma with a chariot wheel in the war, when Arjuna comes forward to relax him, and remind him of his vow to not use any weapon in the war. Actually i dont know the story surrounding this incident in the Mahabharata war but one question arose in my mind at that time. If Krishna is called Yogeshwar then why he suddenly went on to attack Bhishma with a chariot wheel, and had to be calmed down by Arjuna and be reminded of his vow, he should have known it all times. Obviously i did not conclude anything at that point itself, as i know that i might be missing something here. So i want a help from you my friends to solve my doubt that has arisen in my mind. looking forward for your replies.

regards

anup

smaranam
17 April 2010, 04:11 PM
Namaste

KRshNa is Yogeshwar no doubt, His RARE anger (a gift for the pleasure of Bhishma) was Leela-anger. It was a pastime. KRshNa is never under the material modes of nature to have real worldly anger. Another example of Leela-anger is HanumAn.

With KrshNa Lilas , there are internal reasons as well as external.

On the surface - Bhishma had the boon - vardAn , that he can die only at will. So Bhishma was invincible and his invincibility was costing the pAndav sena-army a lot. PAndavas are about goodness, and KRSNa wanted them to win. KRSNa had become Arjuna's charioteer, and had vowed to never take up weapons during the war. The wheel wasn't a weapon.

This can be better explained by others here , more knowledgable in itihAs and mahAbhArat.

Now the internal reason : i could be wrong though - is Bhishma's rasa , bhAv, relationship with KRSNa.

Acc. to some VaishNav AchAryas, Bhishma loved KRSNa in such a veer-shringar ras , that He shot arrows at KRSNa one after another , ourtwardly with "rage" while KRSNa , who is BhagavAn and Lover of Bhishma, accepted those arrows as an act of love :)

So i am thinking ... Bhishma loved and cherished the RARE sight of an angry KRshNa running at him with achariot wheel. Despite the tragic war situation, this must have given Bhishma so much pleasure seeing his beloved Lord this way . no ? :)

The Lord is very sensitively aware of His bhakta's sentiments towards Him. He knows the deepest desires of the bhakta's heart more than the devotee themselves. KRshNa is bhakta vatsal (nurturer and protector - vAtsalya, of His devotees) .

His internal reason for avatAr, descending on earth is to give ecstatic invaluable pleasure to His devotees.

BG 4.7 4.8
yadā yadā hi dharmasya
glānir bhavati bhārata
abhyutthānam adharmasya
tadātmānaḿ sṛjāmy aham

Whenever and wherever there is a decline in religious practice, O descendant of Bharata, and a predominant rise of irreligion — at that time I descend Myself.

BG 4.8 paritrāṇāya sādhūnāḿ
vināśāya ca duṣkṛtām
dharma-saḿsthāpanārthāya
sambhavāmi yuge yuge

To deliver the pious and to annihilate the miscreants, as well as to reestablish the principles of religion, I Myself appear, millennium after millennium.

THE THIRD REASON, (apart from dharma glAni and paritrANaya sadhunAm), is to give pleasure to His devotees by mingling with them.

This also can be better explained by VaishNavas knowledgable about this part of Mahabharat, and Bhishma's rasa.

Govindam Adi Purusham Tam aham bhajAmi
Jai Shri KRshNa

atanu
19 April 2010, 08:41 AM
Namaste friends,
recently i came across a drama which tells the life story of Krishna in short. Krishna is also called as Yogeshwar the one who has a command over his senses. At a point of time in the drama, Krishna is shown as attacking Bhishma with a chariot wheel in the war, when Arjuna comes forward to relax him, and remind him of his vow to not use any weapon in the war. Actually i dont know the story surrounding this incident in the Mahabharata war but one question arose in my mind at that time. If Krishna is called Yogeshwar then why he suddenly went on to attack Bhishma with a chariot wheel, and had to be calmed down by Arjuna and be reminded of his vow, he should have known it all times. Obviously i did not conclude anything at that point itself, as i know that i might be missing something here. So i want a help from you my friends to solve my doubt that has arisen in my mind. looking forward for your replies.

regards

anup

Namaste anup

It is said that Bhisma also had a vow that he would make Sri Krishna take up his Chakra and although both Vishma and Krishna were Jnanis, Shri Krishna, being Purushottama, enabled fructification of this vow of pitAmaha Bhisma, just as parents may allow certain fulfillments of children. Shri Krishna is the Self, which indeed fulfills the natural inclinations of souls and pulls them through. Shri Krishna's act is seen as of ultimate love whereby He is ready to fail Himself rather than fail a devotee soul.

Om Namah Shivaya

anupj
19 April 2010, 11:44 AM
Namaste atanu and Namaste smaranam,
after reading post from both of you it is making some sense to me and i am getting why krishna might have lifted the wheel in the war. second thing i want to ask is, did Krishna kill Bhishma after the war was over, or in the ongoing war?