PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Brahmacarya and Studying Under a Guru

Ashvati
19 April 2010, 02:46 PM
I thought I should ask what problems there might be for me as far as finding a guru and being celibate (sp?) for 12 years while studying under him if I never really found hinduism until the age of 19 for example. Would I most likely have to follow the practices of that ashram late, or would I be an acception? I've read that those not twice-born do not have that stage of life, so I thought I should ask how this would work in a situation like mine.

Eastern Mind
19 April 2010, 03:12 PM
Vannakkam:

Himalayan Academy is the only organisation I know that would guide you through this process in a very traditional way. From my observation, it is not easy at all, but none of the traditional organisations that do it would be easy. I would suggest you browse their website, and contact them.

Most certainly it is not a place to run away from the world.. I would guess only 1 young man in 20 is successful. Here is their link to the topic.

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/ssc/hawaii/monastic_life/howto.html

Others would know other organisations. Certainly Ramakrisna Mission would answer your questions.

Aum Namasivaya

Ashvati
19 April 2010, 09:32 PM
Thank you. This is something that's been bothering me a lot lately, actually. And as far as I know, the Ramakrishna mission seems to be the organisation best suited to me about this kind of thing, but I could be wrong. When I first started looking for temples, I had hoped I would be able to find a Ramakrishna mission center I could go to, but no such luck. The closest I could find was in boston. And thank you as well for PMing me those links to information on Shaivism, I've been meaning to thank you for that. I haven't read as much of it as I would like to be able to get around to, but what I have read has been informative and helpful.

Eastern Mind
20 April 2010, 07:05 AM
Vannakam:

I'm sure all the various ashrams have different levels of strictness regarding entrance. If you really want to look, save your money, and travel to Haridwar and Rishikesh in India on a six month visa.

I know there is an RK mission in Chicago as I personally met the head swami from there a few years back, unless its 'gone out of business', for lack of numbers. We have at least one small ashram here I know of. It consists of one swami from India, and one initiate.
If you do find anything, I'd be interested in hearing what they have to say.

Aum Namasivaya