PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Stephen
26 April 2010, 01:12 PM
Namaste,
Like the title said, I am a new member. I was first introduced to Eastern philosophy in the mid-seventies. However, since I live in the Bible-belt, and the late sixites/early seventies revolution came to a close, so did anything that remotely resembled alternative spirituality around here for the longest time. I had to fight hard to find it again, and I am glad I did. We even have a Hindu temple about 15 (?) miles out of town. Lord Venkateswara is the presiding deity. It is good to be here.

Blessings,
Stephen

Stephen
28 April 2010, 12:09 PM
I hope I did not offend anyone by referring to the Sanatana Dharma as "alternative spirituality". I realize that in India it is the norm. However, where I live, and when I grew up, even Judaism would have been considered alternative spirituality. To find something that is traditional and actually helps the individual is amazing. To me, that is why it is alternative. Around here, the norm (Christianity) is not really helpful.

NayaSurya
28 April 2010, 12:45 PM
Here's a BIGnormous Welcome!<3

(Sorry I didn't come earlier to welcome you, have been working so hard lately and it's hard to get time to visit online.):p

It's so amazing how many folks come out of the fog and wander onto the right path. It makes me giggle because it reminds me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

All the people stumbling across the image of the mountain, drawing it...sculpting it...then finding it!

Hugs<3

Eastern Mind
28 April 2010, 12:57 PM
Vannakkam Stephen:

Welcome to these forums. Hopefully they will benefit you in some small way.

Aum Namasivaya

Ashvati
28 April 2010, 01:21 PM
Welcome, Stephan. I used to know a devotee of Kaali Maa who was in a similar situation, living in an area where if anyone had known his religious inclinations he'd have been branded a satanist. I have a slightly different problem, where I live in an area where everyone is either an atheist or a conservative christian (most of the people I personally know are atheists, and this is also a very opinionated area where wearing a cross can be cause for some young atheist who clearly desperately needs something to believe in to verbally attack you as a "bible thumper" with some rant about religion being the worst thing in the world) so I'm kind of set apart from EVERYONE. I even have a coworker who said "I don't even know what that is" when I said I was hindu.

Stephen
28 April 2010, 02:11 PM
Thank you for the welcome, one and all. Yes, NayaSurya, I do feel like this is something from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Ashvanti said,"coworker who said "I don't even know what that is" when I said I was hindu." Yes, comedian and atheist, Bill Maher says something similar when someone says they are spiritual, and not so much religious. People like that, I think, are used to arguing with people who don't think outside of the box, and don't know what to do with people who do. Thank you for the welcome Eastern Mind.

devotee
28 April 2010, 07:48 PM
Namaste Stephen,

Welcome to the forum ! :)

We look forward to seeing you posting your valuable ideas here.

OM

Stephen
29 April 2010, 09:38 AM
Namaste Devotee,

>We look forward to seeing you posting your valuable ideas here.

Uh-oh, you sure opened up a Pandora's Box with that one. lol

Blessings,
Stephen

Prussian Princess
29 April 2010, 12:05 PM
Welcome, I hope you enjoy posting with us and enjoy your stay..!!!

Stephen
29 April 2010, 01:45 PM
Thank you, Prussian Princess.